An Emerson Row

uppitycats

I don't understand the problem with shipping to Canada. Could someone explain it to me please?

There's a lot of paperwork to fill out, because shipping to Canada (like to Europe) involves going through customs. The seller has to go to the post office, deal with the extra paperwork, and it's very expensive (for the buyer, to be sure, but the seller won't know the cost before he gets to the post office). There are also sometimes long delays between shipping and receiving, and folks on the other end (the buyer) get impatient if their package isn't there quickly -- and of course the seller has little control over that.

While I've never tried to sell anything as large as a dollhouse kit to Canada!, even small things like books became a huge hassle, so I won't generally sell to Canada, either. (or Europe, or anywhere outside the US.) Lazy, I guess.

Just mailing a gift to Canada is a minor hassle, but can't compare to that of shipping to Europe! The delay is usually in the customs process at the receiving end. There was a post where someone had ordered a Dura-Craft kit and when they finally received it from Customs the box was badly taped back together and brick powder was spilling all over the other kit components.

I sold my tin house and shipped it to Michigan. I didn't have any problems. That's why I get a little frustrated when a listing does not include Canada. I've received alot of purchases from U.S.A, and they come through O.K.

ditto: i get and send stuff all over, and IMO the customs paperwork is pretty straightforward, although tiresome.

i collect (and trade) stamps, itty bitty wooden minis, and occasionally i get items for the kids or dgks.

it does seem that since 9/11, mail takes forever and forever to travel to or from Canada. the mail from here to Europe and eastern Europe and all UK destinations seems to go as well as it ever has.

maybe i've been fortunate ?? but even with the extra security precautions involved in mailing items, i've had no problems. things tend to go as smoothly internationally as things tend to go within the US.

sure, once in a while an item breaks, but that has been rare, and nearly always due to poor packaging by the shipper or the "hurling team" that's locally known known as Federale Excess.

I send stuff to Canada all the time since my family (Dad, 2 bros, 2 sis-inlaws, Nephew) all live there. The paperwork is very time consuming, about 2 minutes, and the post office will let you have the forms in advance. I also bought stuff from the US when I was in Canada, the customs form was identical to the one I fill out when sending. I have never even been charged extra, other than the actual postage, for shipping to Canada.

Bottom line: there is no reason for a seller not to ship to Canada. But be aware, as the buyer you can get hit with some hefty fees to receive the item.

And to sellers in Canada, don't be afraid to sell to the US, we don't get hosed with same rip-offs, er I mean fees, as the other way round. :ohyeah:

I really, really wanted to get this house, but then I thought I'd better start/finish the other 4 houses I have first, lol. I figure if I put the money that I was willing to spend on the Emerson row into my BH, then I can get all the lighting I really want, rather than economizing, and even start buying furniture :giggle: I guess it's time to be a little responsible :ohyeah: Good luck and I hope someone from the forums snatches her (the ER) up ! :wub:

hmmm.. i cant remember... let me go look at my ebay....

oo bummer its been so long ebay doesnt list my winning anymore :wave:

i think i paid 25 for shippin? I could be wrong. i think the total of my entire purchase was a about 100,,,,

I love the Emerson Row and would get it except for the short basement apartment. I suppose a family of 1/2" SCALE people could live in there....but I would prefer to make the house without that bottom floor....... My own taste I guess because I think the Emerson Row is a beautiful "Painted Lady."

Wolfie

I love the Emerson Row and would get it except for the short basement apartment. I suppose a family of 1/2" SCALE people could live in there
You could do what Linda & Jimmy did and bash the basement to 1:12 scale.