Names of Dollhouses

jeninky

thanks for the offer, i may just take you up on it!

what do you think would be useful and/or helpful in terms of sorting? alphabetical is spiffy, and i will sort 'em by manufacturer, and add letters to indicate Small, Medium, Large, and Garf-gantuan.

maybe add style information? the names of some houses are self-explanatory regarding style (federal, bungalow, victorian farmhouse, etc.)

as for the rest, somebody who knows about such things might add information abt that.

soooo, might you be somebody who knows about such things? :whistle:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say I would be much help in that area. But I think sorting them by manufacturer first, and then the houses alphabetically is a good idea.

I wouldn't worry too much about the style, if there are pictures, then it would be obvious. Finding pictures of older outdated houses might be tricky though. I like the idea of letters to indicate the size of the houses.

Sounds like you are on your way!

Does the list cover what members have, or all houses? Cause next to nothing By Lawbre, Doll's House Emporium, and a lot of English dollhouse kit makers has been mentioned. Of course there's Sid Mead, House That Jack Built, Olde's English Dollhouse Shoppe etc etc etc etc.

For an initial project scope of a linked and sorted list, what I've suggested is that the list be limited to tab-and-slot brands. There are enough out-of-production t&s kits that people often want information, and there are fragments of information in a lot of places, needing to be gathered into one spot. I've also learned the hard way that Americans build and photograph old t&s kits with much more enthusiasm than they do the other kind. So starting with that scope gives a manageable (more-or-less) project with definite value... and it's also a convenient list for anyone (like me) who might think about drawing conclusions about what kinds of houses sell or how kits have changed over time.

Over the longer term, there's also value in documenting a larger range of houses -- especially out-of-production houses from American Craft Products, McGreedy's, Batrie, and the pin-constructed Walmer mansards. But that's a tougher job. I think we're going to discover that once a t&s list exists, people will want more and more information added (dimensions, year produced) and developing the list to its full potential will be a surprisingly large project. The great thing about the list is that it provides a starting point for all sorts of information-gathering.

Newtominis, I owe you a PM on some specifics and will get to that this morning.

I have a new one to add... and I can get pics of the box!!

4 in 1. by Artply.

it is a general store, firehouse, school or church, barn or garage.!

Will try to get pics this week.... the last time I tried I got a big flash in the pic!

Kellee

Okay, I can give you an easy way to take a first cut at narrowing the to-be-linked list to T&S kits, and then we can all help resolve any unknowns.

Tab-and-slot brands

Arrow

Artply

Corona Concepts

Dura-Craft (some models aren't t&s and some came in both t&s and glue/nails versions, but it's simplest to just include all of them)

Greenleaf

Kozbro

Radmark/Whitney

Skilcraft

Wood Craft

Non-T&S brands (italicized brands are defunct and should eventually be documented as a compendium of dead brands)

American Craft Products

Artesania Latina

Batrie (before it was bought by RGT)

Celerity/GEL

Dee's Delights/Fantasy Craft

Dolls House Emporium

Earth & Tree/Tom's Mill

Enchanted Dollhouse (probably had multiple brands and also sold Walmer)

Hofco (GREAT list posted above)

House That Jack Built (technically, not kits)

Houseworks

Lawbre

McGreedy/Oakridge

Motts, if they had a house brand

Olde Dollhouse Co.

RGT/Quickbuild

Sid Cooke

Timberbrook

Walmer/Lilliput (before being bought by RGT--they had a different house style in the 1970s)

Although the T&S list has fewer brands at the moment, it actually represents a substantial number of houses (my print-out of the whole list ran eight pages of small print). You'll also find a confusing trail of transfers of brands from Artply and Radmark to GL.

Postponing tangling with the non-t&s list means avoiding trying to figure out RGT's march of acquisition of smaller brands. I keep hoping to find something that will make that easier to sort out.

thanks, that is a huge help!!!!

Regarding the non T&S houses, it seems to me that many manufactuers of non T and S houses are fairly easy to find. So, one list could consist of Dollhouses, Operational Makers and Sellers, with a sublist of their products, and a link to each website.

another list could include the Dollhouses, Closed Makers and Sellers.

does that make sense?

FWIW, i have not been able to locate anything at all for houses by American Crafts or Victorian Times.

• 2 months later...

There was a Greenleaf kit recently on e-bay called the Little Cottage Shop Dollhouse kit. It was listed circa 1985. Does anyone on the forum have this kit built. I did not see it on the updated lists.

• 4 weeks later...

FWIW, i have not been able to locate anything at all for houses by American Crafts or Victorian Times.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?&...25&offset=0 I have a copy of a printout I did years ago of some Doll'sFaire/Victorian Times houses. Included are the Elliot Bay House, Lacamas Lake House, Knapp House, Bee Tree House, Joseph Angel House, Cook House and "Smaller Items". There are also individual pix with floorplans.

I don't kow if there are anymore in my PictureTrail album that aren't listed. I started going crosseyed! There's the Franklin by possibly Artply and the Artply 702.

There was a Greenleaf kit recently on e-bay called the Little Cottage Shop Dollhouse kit. It was listed circa 1985. Does anyone on the forum have this kit built. I did not see it on the updated lists.

Hi, sharon, that is in our dh kit list Blog.

Look beneath the Storybook Cottage and you'll see it. :-) so far as i can tell it is the same house.

Thanks, grammapux, for the information, that is great!

:photo:

• 2 months later...

I know this is old news but last week I found a Adam's still in the box at a thrift store and the postal was marked Feb. 14 1980 what a great find every thing is there except the windows but that is easy to make

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...

Thought I would add to this the Walmer Bay Mansion Econo-kit #520(took me a good while to find which company made it) and also the Walmer Yorktown Manor. They had several others that were larger houses that they didn't sell the blueprints to other companies to. Going to see if I can find more of those to add to this list...

Wanted to say thanks to all who put their time into creating this -- it's a wonderful resource!