Anyone else getting the "no more dollhouses" rule?

Ms. Mini

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ya im ok with the rule. im so over whelmed with the kits i have as it is. i mean after the tennyson and the emerson row im working on is the beacon hill and i plan to take a long time on that house because im adding lots to it.

makes me glad i'm foot-loose and fancy-free! but i've decided that its gonna be a definte "love me, love my obsessions" type of thing when i do find a keeper. i'm hopin for a model train builder so he can run his tracks around my houses. :thumb:

I've put myself on a "no new dollhouses" rule. My house is small and I have no room for the ones I do have. I told myself that after I've found homes for all the ones I built then I'll get some more.

I think I spend more money on books than dollhouses. That's my real vice. I have so many boxes of books that I hate to think of the money I've spent over the years on them. Right now I'm going through them and boxing up ones I know I'll never read again and can sell at a yard sale in the future.

Well, I spoke WAY too soon! We were discussing how to spend our taxes today. He told me how much I could have to do with as I pleased, but put the stipulation no more dollhouses because we have no room. But, he did say I could get the Willow and the Houseboat. I'm slipping the Sugarplum in, because I decided it would make a great Irish cottage. You all will keep my secret, right?

So, I looked over at Bruce and asked, "Would you ever use the word "rule" when talking to me?" He turned pale and gasped, "Oh gawd no! I value my life!" <cackle>

I'm very, very lucky to have a hubby who not only supports my interests, but who understands that rules and Debs don't go together. In all the years we've been together he has never once told me what to do or what not to do. The words I hear from him the most are, "As long as you're happy Baby, that's all that matters." And he means it. The other words I hear the most from him are, "Well, if you can't decide which one you want, get 'em both".

Like most of us, I do the financial side of the house and Bruce knows that I'd never spend money we can't afford so he doesn't worry about that. The same thing goes for him too..........the only thing he ever asks is "can we afford for me to spend x amount?" We're completely understanding of each other's hobbies and while he doesn't mini with me, he loves my work and thinks the houses all over the house are cool. It's just one of the reasons I love him so much.

Deb

So, I looked over at Bruce and asked, "Would you ever use the word "rule" when talking to me?" He turned pale and gasped, "Oh gawd no! I value my life!" <cackle>

I'm very, very lucky to have a hubby who not only supports my interests, but who understands that rules and Debs don't go together. In all the years we've been together he has never once told me what to do or what not to do. The words I hear from him the most are, "As long as you're happy Baby, that's all that matters." And he means it. The other words I hear the most from him are, "Well, if you can't decide which one you want, get 'em both".

Like most of us, I do the financial side of the house and Bruce knows that I'd never spend money we can't afford so he doesn't worry about that. The same thing goes for him too..........the only thing he ever asks is "can we afford for me to spend x amount?" We're completely understanding of each other's hobbies and while he doesn't mini with me, he loves my work and thinks the houses all over the house are cool. It's just one of the reasons I love him so much.

Deb

Amen Deb! As long as I am happy, they are happy, and Dh makes sure I am happy! :(

Deb

That how Riley and I work too, think they may be brothers??????

That rule is in place here permanently, we just ignore it, try it, it really works.

It's a good think we don't really have that rule in this house, especially since we egg each other on to buy dollhouses :(:D:(

While it is not a rule. Darrell and I recently had a long discussion. We came to an agreement that until the repairs on the house and emptying out the storage area is done there will be no crafting ,other then the cross stich wedding samplers I am work on while watching a movie, untill the jobs are finished. The positive side is when it is done I will have a shop room in the Garage to keep dollhouse things. as they are not moving back into the house at this time. They will all be packaged up nicely to keep dust off and stored in another area of the garage until my son moves out next year. Then they get to move into the dollhouse display room.

I will be glad when everything is in it's place finally and the repairs done.

I MISS working on dollhouses :whistle:

Melissa

The no dollhouse rule wouldn't fly at our house. Ray and I both respect each other and encourage one another to grow and relax in whatever way is healthy. Fortunately, this hobby is also growing on Ray and it looks like he's discovered that this is a pasttime that we can share.

-Susanne

when i said "rule" i didnt mean he was bossing me around or anything.. i hope no one got that idea. He loves and respects me and espcially encourages my hooby. i was kind of joking about it actually. but he did say that we both need to cut back on expinses right now and dollhouses was defintley one of them. im sorry if anyone took what i said wrong...

Jenny....when you first posted it.....I thought of those days when I had someone in my life.....but no matter what I said I wanted I got....lol....so I learned to never say I wanted or would like to have this.........I do understand where both of you are coming from.....I'm soul supporter so I tell myself if I can have it or not....lol...I know that sounds stupid.....

Oh no Jenny!

Sorry to get all "I am woman, hear me roar!" on you. I think I had a psycho/flashback of how my mom and dad were. You hear/see the word *rules* when it comes to a loving couple and it made me cringe a little.

:whistle: Sorry!

Peachie.. Sometimes I wonder if other shoppers in the stores think I am nuts. I will softly talk to myself about purchasing something. Do I need this? Or do I want this?

Actually I think it was nice hearing what everyone can and can't do and get away with. There sure are some fiesty women here! I myself am a sneaker. My hubby doesn't care how much money I spend as long as the bills are paid, but he will make comments about where I am going to put all the stuff I buy, so I hide stuff and it magically appears one day. And since he never even goes in most of the rooms we have, he doesn't know what I've got anyway. (he thought there was only 300 horses - not 3000) If you have something you are saving for, then I understand cutting back. I know Caleb supports what you do, look at the great work area he made for you. So I'll try to help with your mini cut backs. I'll be watching ebay for you and if I see you there.....

Ok, so I'm not a big help - have you been to Lowes lately? They have a disney princess and a TINKERBELL lamp that when you push the button they dance and sing. They are SO cool. I didn't buy one cause I couldn't decide between the 2. There are other lamps (a golfer, a motorcycle....) that do stuff too.

ROFLMBOPIMP!!

3000!

See my kids would Rat me out.. Get back for all my mom-isms. Plus he may be tired but he is not drifty. He would probably decide to vacuum under the bed that day and I would be caught!

My kids would help me hide them. DH would pull in the driveway and we'd all scramble to hide boxes. (kind of a game really) Of course - it was a 2 way street and I didn't rat them out for coming in at 4 am or skipping a class (that was missed because we would go shopping) or a booboo on the car. DH would never tell me no on anything though. Not with the 'to die for' workshop I built for him.

Hi Jenny, obviously Caleb is supportive of you in your hobby. So when you said rule i didn't think he was being mean or controlling.

My ex husband was a little controlling. We never had money for what i wanted, but don't ask me where he coughed up the dough for all the pinball (collectable woodrails) machines, coke machines, video games and other toys we had in the basement. He'd go out to lunch or dinner with friends, i rarely had cash to do so. I used to hand over my paycheck to him and i felt bad (and he would say something) when i would spend more than 60 dollars every 2 weeks on groceries (then he'd complain we never had anything good to eat like t-bones and such). Occassionally i would buy a cross stitch pattern and some aida fabric and he'd grumble about it....oh then he grumbled that i never went out with friends (i had to ask if it was okay to spend money on dinner or lunch), but when i did, he'd act mad and threatened. He finally started giving me an allowance, i think it was like 20 dollars a month, and when i overspent on groceries or bought a few used books from the used book store (very cheap prices mind you) he stopped giving me an allowance. So when the word RULE comes up in marriage, I feel like "oh no you don't"...i'm doing what i want. It's a control thing with me. So when i read that other people are given "rules" by their husband, my back goes up for them. I feel like i'd like to tell their husbands off. It also makes me think back over the life that i had when i was married.

Now i go to opposite extremes, i buy all the dollhouses and furniture that i want, i'm in debt and i have been known to spend my grocery money on dollhouse stuff. :flowers:

hey have a disney princess and a TINKERBELL lamp that when you push the button they dance and sing. They are SO cool. I didn't buy one cause I couldn't decide between the 2. There are other lamps (a golfer, a motorcycle....) that do stuff too

yes ive seen that lamp! its adoralbe. there is a tiffany's tinkerbell lamp that i have been drooling over for years. Someday i would love to have it.

Marg I'm very sorry your ex treated you that way. growing up i had to deal with controling men and i dont take well when I am told what to do. lol. caleb has never told me something i "coudlnt" do only has made suggestions of what i could do and we could do to make our lives better. and us living in a small 2 bedroom aparment really doesnt give us alot of room for my houses. so after i bought the beacon hill we both decided that wwas enough for now.

Heidi I totally understand the "I am woman hear me roar thing"... in fact I grew up loving helen reddy, lol. My mom brought me up to be a very independent woman and to not be bossed around by anyone.

again i hope no one got the idea from my original posting that he was being controlling.. i was mearly being light hearted and trying to be funny about that matter.

LOL Jenny I was pretty sure you were just being lighthearted but at the same time, I was thinking "if he's even a lil bit serious, I'm taking a field trip to CA and laying the smackdown on him" I definitely get and am cool with making suggestions to make your life together better and all that, but at the same time, I don't deal well with controlling. Thankfully, Eric's really not like that, he just wants to see us at a point where we want to be financially, but his problem is that he used to be so focused on the future that he forgot about the now. I'm all for saving money for retirement/family/permanent house/etc but we also need to have fun and have a life NOW, otherwise, what's the point? We've been together almost 9 years, and we've come to some agreements about financial matters (such as *I* am in charge of the household account and making sure the bills get paid, otherwise, we'll be getting disconnect notices and repos!!!! eek! and he is in charge of finding us the best retirement accounts, but I figure out where the money to put into those accounts comes from) I've figured out a pretty good budget for us, which allows us both to have some "play" money, as well as play money for us to do stuff together, so I'm feeling we're in good shape.

As far as the controlling thing, I've been lucky and only had one guy try to control me, and this was back in middle school so I'm not so sure it counts....but I've had many friends who've been in that kind of relationship and it's killed me to keep my mouth shut! Controlling partners is just something that really sets my back up, and what can I say, I'm protective of the people I care about LOL. This has definitely been an interesting topic though, and like chesterfieldzoo said, it's been neat hearing how others "get around" their partners. We have some creative thinkers here, don't we? :flowers:

I was such a wimp in elementary and middle school but when I started dating I just grew something. I wasnt gonna take any doo-doo from any man. I had one guy that strung me along and broke up with me on V-day. That was the last...LOL

I think that we have fun on this forum as we support each other on this fascinating and addictive hobby. :2cents:

We also support each other in understanding how much we need to actively participate in creating miniature scenes and building dollhouses. :flowers: Here we all totally understand how difficult it can be to hear "budget constraints" topics arise in our at-home conversations. Our backs go up and we freeze at thoughts of having to curtail our miniature spending habits. :rofl: :whistle: :gun_guns:

We rush to this site to garner support. :type: :gathering: We all do it. We know in our hearts that our family members aren't the "bad" guys. But as soon as we feel slightly threatened - we react. :makmiday:

Hugs to everybody as we deal with these situations in real-life: real life interrupting our mini-time, tight budgets, criticism (or lack of understanding) from family and friends.

-Susanne