Anyone else getting the "no more dollhouses" rule?

Ms. Mini

Well I have been cut off from buying anymore dollhouses until I build all my kits waiting! :blink:

Caleb told me today I must be good and save my money.. we are saving up for a few things right now so i guess I better listen :giggle: of course this topic came about when I told him that I just bought the greenleaf green house on ebay.

but (yes there is ALWAYS a butt)... B) he said "until" i build all my kits i have now... so i just need to finish those and im good to go right? :blink:

After my emerson row and my moms tennyson I have the arthur, the lafeyette, the travel trailer, the sweetheart... and of course my beloved beacon hill to build. which the beacon hill is next for sure...

SO is anyone else on the "no dollhouse buying" rule right now?

I think we need a support group for this... this is going to be rough.. i might as well not even sign onto ebay anymore... LOL

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Jenny....poor Jenny....but it does seem as though you have plenty to keep you busy for awhile. Maybe you can slip one in here or there.

Just today DH says to me "so what do you plan to to with all these dh's. are you going to sell them?" I said NO! He says well eventually there will be nothing but dollhouses everywhere. I say YES! He says "I know you love building these but maybe you should think about selling them" I say NOPE after I build them I like to look at them..... He thinks maybe eventually I will be sick of looking at them...NOPE!

End of conversation!!! :blink:

Oh my gosh Irene!!! That conversation could have been recorded here and played there! My hubby said the same thing. He doesn't care that I have so many, just where are they all gonna live? I am up to 27 houses now. I won the jefferson on ebay, so I had to get the duracraft colonial 300 and the willow to match. And I have an orchid and 2 lafayettes and an ashley and a tiffani, so I had to get an arthur, a columbian, and a bobbi to complete the street. And then there is the newberg/linfield/winston/whitney street. I gotta get something to go with the glencroft. Then there is the christmas houses and the haunted houses and the farm houses.....

Someone here said they hide their houses under the bed. I'm going to need more beds.

Jenny, why don't you buy what you want and hide them and say, hey honey, I had that one, I just forgot I had it!!!

, why don't you buy what you want and hide them and say, hey honey, I had that one, I just forgot I had it!!!

Thats what I was thinking!!

I've had the same "no-more-houses-until-you-finish-the-ones-you-have" speech, along with the "what-are-you-going-to-do-with-all-the-houses"

My answer is simple to the last question.....

I am going to buy a bigger (real) house :blink::giggle:

I'm not allowed to look at ebay either.....but I am SO hitting Ernies sale on the 2nd :blink:

B)

I'm am so fortunate, DH has wondered a time or two where they all will "live", but he (at least so far) has never told me I can't have any more.

Yeah, Eric's tried that one on me.....he also tried it once with cross-stitch kits, saying that I could only buy one for every two I finished...I think he forgot about that rule 'cause I've added many more cross stitch kits since that "proclamation". He said no more dollhouses til I build what I have but here's my thought: I work my @$$ off for my paycheck, and I make sure that 1) the bills are all paid on time 2) we put money into savings and the wedding fund 3) we have food on the table, clothes on our back, etc, and 4) the fuzzies are fed, litterboxed and doctored (when needed). Therefore, what I spend my play money on is my own d*** business. Also, we have a gigantic house that is way too big for the two of us, so finding room for them is not an issue. And third, he has his own hobbies, which include computer games (that can cost up to $50 a pop) plus he does tabletop gaming, so he has an entire room dedicated to that as well as a basement workshop where he builds terrain and buildings and lil robot thingies. He has probably spent more on his miniature building than I have for pete's sake and the only time I have given him crap about it was when he used the money that was supposed to pay the electric bill....otherwise, I don't care what he spends his play money on. With all these factors considered, I really don't believe that I plan to listen to Eric when he attempts to curtail my dollhouse expenditures.

Can y'all tell I think too much? Fortunately, that's one of the things he likes about me...................

But seriously, as long as what you buy isn't seriously detrimental to the household finances, to heck with what the huggas think...this ain't the 50's anymore!!!!!!!!!! ROFL

Jenny, why don't you buy what you want and hide them and say, hey honey, I had that one, I just forgot I had it!!!

yes that is my plan when the april sale at hbs.com happens... lol i have my eye on a few different kits i just have to decide which one i want :wave:

our house is starting to fill up

I have to find some wall space for more of them...

I got rid of one and maybe I dont need another one for now........allthough April 2nd will see me with a new kit.....1/144th scale though.

really with the wonderful work you do he should look at like an investment.

can the same be said for video games?

gl with your grounding....finish 2 houses and see how he feels then. :wave:

nutti :)

can the same be said for video games?
haha yep! no buying anything we dont need for a month. then with what we have saved we are going to pay off a few things :wave: plus we are planning a big camping trip for the end of april for our anniversary

really with the wonderful work you do he should look at like an investment.

thanks nutti :) naw he's my number 1 fan, he loves my work and fully supports it. gotta love him :)

i cant wait tel lthe april sale though! so many things i want!! gotta pick one thing though :)

He hasn't told me yet that I can't buy anymore, but he does tell me I can't build them right now until we have more room for them. I can see his point, but once the Willow and Houseboat get here, well, I just have to build them. I'll find room - as somebody once told me, who needs a couch anyway?

I just say" YA ya ya- I know, I promised to build that one before I buy more!!!!"

Lord in heaven, that's a tough one to keep! As for where to put them, well, if he finishes the basement as he claims he will, there won't be a problem.LOL

My husband and I have a lot of respect for each other. If he asked me to hold off on something for a bit, and if it was a reasonable request, I would respect his wishes. I would NOT go behind his back and buy things anyway and then just have them "appear" later. But that's just me.

My BH is my first dh, and we have found out that this hobby is WAY more expensive than we thought it would be. Even when I tell him I need something that might be a little expensive for the house, he lets me get it anyway, even if he thinks I already have too much! So I am lucky to have such a great husband!! :wave:

My husband and I have a lot of respect for each other. If he asked me to hold off on something for a bit, and if it was a reasonable request, I would respect his wishes. I would NOT go behind his back and buy things anyway and then just have them "appear" later. I value him and our relationship too much to do that. Besides, that would tell him that I value the dh more than I value him!! But that's just me.

My BH is my first dh, and we have found out that this hobby is WAY more expensive than we thought it would be. Even when I tell him I need something that might be a little expensive for the house, he lets me get it anyway, even if he thinks I already have too much! So I am lucky to have such a great husband!! :wave:

My Beacon Hill kit arrived a couple of weeks ago, & them the Magnolia arrived yesterday - Eddie saw the delivery van pull up outside & just said "It looks like something for you"!

He knows me very well, by now, & realises I don't do things by half :wave:

Jackie

Eddie saw the delivery van pull up outside & just said "It looks like something for you"

Jackie

Ha whenever the "big brown truck" or the mail carrier arrives with a "box" or large package dh says the same thing! He just puts it in my work room and walks away :wave: I know what he's thinking but he doesn't say a thing! Again when he gets nervious about where all the dh's will go I just tell him..."maybe I will make one of the extra bedrooms just for dollhouses" then he just shakes his head. :)

No he would never do that. Because if I cant afford it, I dont buy it. I am on a no ebaying/no buying thing right now. I have too many expenses to cover at the moment. Plus I can save the money I would spend on a house getting stuff at the Sturbridge show!

If he asked me not to buy anything I would respect that request. Just when I tell him money is a lil tight this month, he holds off on stuff too. Give and take.

Like a lot of you already said:

Our household works like this: I pay all the bills, put away what I can for savings, and for emergencies (two separate accounts), and

whatever is "left over" is ours to spend as we wish. My husband and I split the remainder, spend it as we want to, no questions asked. If either suggests that we're tight on money, for whatever reason (like right now taxes are due, and next month the house and car insurance), then we re-visit what we have in savings, what we have in "play money" and do a bit of shifting to make it all work. And sometimes that means we spend our play money for essentials. But neither of us has ever spent any large sums without the others full knowledge and consent..and "large" for us is over $50.

So no more eBay for me right now. I've got 6 houses (and a few assorted other things, like the greenhouse, the arbor, and the little Greenleaf village), tons of accessories, and that will have to do for right now...oh, and a bit of cash for the doll shows next weekend.

Many years ago, my DH purchased a guage. He said he had to have it for some specific application. It remained in the closet collecting dust. One day I purchased two rose bushes for the yard and he went ballistic. Said we couldn't eat roses. The next day, the little box containing his guage was on his dinner plate, dust and all. He asked what it was doing there, I reminded that we couldn't eat that either. He never said another word about what I bought. After his death, I threw the guage in the trash, still in the box and covered with dust.

My dh set the rule that I should finish one house before starting another. I interpreted that to be the big ones. I have my workroom and it the only room in the house I'm allowed to leave messy so I figure I can use the space as I want. His only real fear is that we will run out of room for all of my houses. I keep telling him I will be willing to part with some of my first ones by that time. I think it is true. For me I love the designing and building and decorating. Once they are done, I am thinking about the next project. I also have found I'm not looking to buy any more kits right now because I'm overwhelmed with thinking about the ones I have in the closet already. I can't wait to get to them and I think I will ruin the enjoyment of the current project if I get too many more.

Yes, but I agreed to it. The exception is that I get to buy a house with the gift certificate. Mike spends about $50/mo on his PC games and subscriptions. I spent about the same on my crafting. Mike was a little miffed that I bought the heart arbor, but he thought it cost more that I spent on it.

I got that speech earlier this week. :wave: I'm the kind of person that just looks and says 'that one would be nice to have' and that's it. Now Greg did tell me that if I wanted another house I could get one at Ernie's 50% sale, because he liked the one I was looking at (the Contemporary Ranch) but at the beginning of the week on eBay there was a Highland by Artply, I just fell in love with it and HAD to have it. He told me if I got it there would be no more dollhouses until I get the ones I have COMPLETELY finished. I really couldn't fight with him because I see his point and I have limited space for anymore right now :) . Plus we have to start saving money because we want to buy a (real) house. The chance to buy the house we are renting has come up so we are weighing the options and since we have been here for so long we know exactly what this house needs.