Need some serious help with WIRING!

MiniDoxLuvr

I hope someone can help me....it has been a LONG time since I have wired anything! And i honestly CANNOT remember how I did this 12 years ago!

Here is my question and i hope this makes sense. Okay - when you buy lamps they have that larger plug in attached...I know that you can buy the tiny little plug to convert it to the cir-kit outlets so there must be a way to take off that plug and reattach. How the heck do you get the large one off and the small one attached? These wires are TINY! It seems like I remember pulling off the gold prongs and sliding the wires out but then what? How does it attach to that tiny plug? I dont even need to put that smaller plug on there I just want to take off this big plug to get the wire thru my tiny holes I drilled.

I hope I am describing this accurately. I am at a standstill because I dont know how to get that big ole plug off. I have to do that just to get the wire thru the tiny holes I drilled. I would HATE to have to drill a hole big enough to pull that whole plug thru as that would be a bear to try to hide.

Anyone know how to take that big plug off and put it back on without stripping wires? Can those prongs be pulled out and then just put back on once I am ready to plug it in?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and the reason I need to do this is because I am round wiring a little cottage, not tape wiring. I have the power strip that I will plug all of these outlets into. That is why i need to take that large plug off to get the wires thru my small holes that I drilled. I dont want to fool with tape wiring this little house and i already have a power strip, transformer and outlets already and would like to use them on this.

Hi,

You have to cut the big plug off. You can strip the wires, twist as you go so they don't go all over the place. Either place the wires directly into the tapewire (one in pink, one in blue), or you can put the wires into one of the small plugs you are talking about. They also have outlet that fit those big plugs. You just push them into the tapewire and the plug in the lights. If you do this do not cut the cord!! I really don't think you can reattach them. Good luck!!!

Sarah

:unsure:Sarah,

I dont think you have much choice than pull the pins out and then the wire from the plug.On many occasions when I have done this at least one wire comes out needing to be stripped back again.Depending on howmuch wire you have I would just cut the wire above the plug so you will have a good end to pass throuth the smallest hole you can drill to take the wire .Now you have two options left 1: Join the wires above the plug or 2: pull the pins and rewire the plug again .It will probably need a few attempts before sucess but be cool and dont get too frustrated it will work out .

Goodluck! :drool2::drool::unsure:

I just read your second post. I am sorry I don't know anything about round wire :drool2:

Actually its the same exact kind of wire that comes on the lamps and light fixtures. it's no different. I just want to know if you can remove that big plug and re-attach. Based on your previous post does not sound like i can. DARN.

Hi Ginger,

I have never done wiring, but have been reading a lot about it lately to get my nerve up! Try this link Hobbycraft i think it explains it well. If not, I found the UK sites more helpful for describing this type of lighting. I'll keep looking, there was even one (that I can't find, now!) that had an animated tutorial. Searching doll's house loghting seemed to get more UK sites. Good luck, and I'll keep looking for that other site. Can't believe I didn't bookmark it!

Traci

:unsure:Sarah,

I dont think you have much choice than pull the pins out and then the wire from the plug.On many occasions when I have done this at least one wire comes out needing to be stripped back again.Depending on howmuch wire you have I would just cut the wire above the plug so you will have a good end to pass throuth the smallest hole you can drill to take the wire .Now you have two options left 1: Join the wires above the plug or 2: pull the pins and rewire the plug again .It will probably need a few attempts before sucess but be cool and dont get too frustrated it will work out .

Goodluck! :drool2::drool::unsure:

Well I just pulled the pins out, it seems my issue will be getting them back in. PUtting the wire back in takes up so much of the space in that tiny hole putting that pin back in is near impossible. ARGH.

I know I did this before years ago I wish i remembered what the heck i did!

Sarah,

The quick way is to cut the wire 5 inches up from the plug,Strip all four ends,

Slip some Shrink Tube (available from electrical stores)over two of the stripped ends

either plug or other end .Twist stripped wires together to make the join.Slip the Shrinktube over the twists covering all exposed wire.Heat the ShrinkTube with your hairdryer on high temp untill you see the shrinktube shrink tightly over the twists .

ALL DONE :drool2:

Hi Ginger,

I have never done wiring, but have been reading a lot about it lately to get my nerve up! Try this link Hobbycraft i think it explains it well. If not, I found the UK sites more helpful for describing this type of lighting. I'll keep looking, there was even one (that I can't find, now!) that had an animated tutorial. Searching doll's house loghting seemed to get more UK sites. Good luck, and I'll keep looking for that other site. Can't believe I didn't bookmark it!

Traci

Why thank you so much! that is a great site! And it does show to pull the prongs out, which I did, but wow getting them back in is a bear! I have been looking for a site about wiring with a power strip and never could find one.

Gillman, thank you for that shrink tube tip! I forgot about that! It's funny how much I forgot in twelve measley years LOL

Why thank you so much! that is a great site! And it does show to pull the prongs out, which I did, but wow getting them back in is a bear! I have been looking for a site about wiring with a power strip and never could find one.

Gillman, thank you for that shrink tube tip! I forgot about that! It's funny how much I forgot in twelve measley years LOL

Ginger,

That's so true! Sometimes, knowing what to do and making the material cooperate are two completely different things! The shrink tube stuff sounds great! Thanks Gillman, I may have to get some once I get started on mine!

Traci

Sarah,

Wow you are moving fast.Now you have pulled the pins try this :

Split the two wires back 5 inches .Pass them through the plug.Strip the end of one and pop iy into the plug.Now you need a pair of pliers to hold the pin securley enough to enable you to push the pin into the hole alongside the stripped wire repeat for the other wire .Stripping the two wires back 5 inches allows you to work with each wire seperatly.

:drool2::drool::unsure:

It will probably need a few attempts before sucess but be cool and dont get too frustrated it will work out

HA HA Gillman you were inside of my head I think...yes the frustration I need to get over. LOL I tend to get worked up when things don't go right the first time and I need to remember this hobby is supposed to be RELAXING LOL

I know I have done this before so that is helping me not get too aggravated.

YOu guys are amazing on this forum. I expected to not get any replies until tomorrow and even then figured that would be pushing it.

Within minutes you helpful folks are responding!

I love this place. You all are great. :-)

Thank you for each response to all!

Just a note - be careful pushing the pins back in. I broke a plug once with my pliers (I shouldn't have had the pliers on the plug anyway) and it snapped. You really don't want that to happen.

So you have done this before? Were you ever able to successfully reattach the plug?

Broken Plug:

Not a real problem if you have another plug feeding another light/fitting.

Just splice the wires from the broken plug into the wires of another light/fitting

When splicing it is better to solder joins rather than rely on twist only.Dont forget to fit shrinktube for insulation if you have any.

Did you ever get those pugs to work for you? I have only done a few ceiling fixtures that needed to be pulled off and replaced with, long tweezers... What a challenge to reassemble such little wires. After that, I bought floor lamps, the aggravation was just too intense, and I'm unfortunately NOT a very patient person, in that way. However, that also means, only one of my houses got lights, SNIFF...Need to be re-inspired, to do it again.