She GOT IN!!

heidiiiii

Congratulations!!! I remember what an agonizing process that was, applying for colleges. You feel as if at the age of 17 or 18 you are making a decision that will determine the whole course of your future life. No pressure! I'm glad she got into one of her top choices.

Happy healing to her and a great weekend to you all,

Christine

What wonderful news! Congrats Chelsea, hope you feel better real soon. Heidi I been there with the tooth thing on all three of mine and things are certainly easier now thank goodness. The pain is the same just easier to deal with. Everything is definitely coming up roses finally for you all.

Okay, it is time to put the booze away and get back to reality.

Acceptance fees, Housing fees, student activity fees, fees fees fees

This doesnt even include the tuition. UGH!

I am such a newbie at this. I never went to college. We are waiting for confirmation from the financial aid office at the school.

For all of you that have been thru this..Does any of these fees get factored into the financial aid picture? Cause if they dont, we are going to drowned.

Our credit is very bad from when I was sick before I got SS. So getting credit for this is not an option. And we dont want to use Home Equity because that is for the house! Dh and I think work needed on the home is more important. Not to say I dont love her, but we are being realistic.

Congratulations! I hope the financial aid thing goes smoothly for you. I seem to recall that they only hold cash assets against you when determining aid - so if you have a lot of your money tied up in 401Ks and real estate, that's a good thing. I don't know if fees are included, though...

I've always wondered, if the college savings isn't around when it's time for them to go to college, if a student loan isn't the way to go - even if it ends up being the parents who pay for it? My DD is only 9, so all this is what I've heard through the grapevine and listening to my boss moan about it.

Also, it may be worth it to do that quick glance at scholarship money. Sometimes it just sits there because no one comes up for it (I don't think that's much the case anymore what with Internet and probably a slew of books on options available). But I know my mom has our geneaology back to the American Revolution, so my daughter qualifies for at least one scholarship already: Daughters of the American Revolution. Even my HOA has scholarship money available!

Congratulations!!

When I went to college I applied for a government grants and Federal Loans through the financial aid office. The grant pretty much covered fees and some of my books. The loans covered the rest, living expensenes, etc. My credit was horrible back when I finally decided to get a degree and I was still able to get federal student aid. I couldn't get private aid. I know that at my particular university it was cheaper to live off campus than to live in the dorm.

In January we filled out the Fafsa online. That determines what we qualify for aid and what we dont. She will have to get student loans. We told her that we will help her with the payments until she gets a job and can pay them herself, but we are not responsible for the total debt. That is on her.

Hopefully I will find out some stuff soon.

Okay, it is time to put the booze away and get back to reality.

Acceptance fees, Housing fees, student activity fees, fees fees fees

This doesnt even include the tuition. UGH!

I am such a newbie at this. I never went to college. We are waiting for confirmation from the financial aid office at the school.

For all of you that have been thru this..Does any of these fees get factored into the financial aid picture? Cause if they dont, we are going to drowned.

Our credit is very bad from when I was sick before I got SS. So getting credit for this is not an option. And we dont want to use Home Equity because that is for the house! Dh and I think work needed on the home is more important. Not to say I dont love her, but we are being realistic.

I believe the fees are included. It wouldn't make sense if they aren't. She also should be able to get student loans in her name and not necessarily yours. It will help her establish credit of her own. Good luck!

Heidiii,

I was just reading about Chel's school on Wikipedia. Student to teacher ratio 10 to 1, 700 students in the whole college. Sounds wonderful

Maybe she will be able to have a part time job after she gets a good start. Also in a small school they take a much more personal interest in the students.

When I attended college, I actully had some classes with 700 or more students in them. That was not much fun.

Heidi, I just told DH about Chelsea's acceptance. He said he thought it would probably be a better experience for her than Cooper Union. :wave: One of his dear friends is a graduate and several of his students went there. It's a strong program. I'm sure she'll flourish!

Heidi, I just told DH about Chelsea's acceptance. He said he thought it would probably be a better experience for her than Cooper Union. :cheer: One of his dear friends is a graduate and several of his students went there. It's a strong program. I'm sure she'll flourish!

Thanks Kathie.

One of the main reasons she chose both of those schools is because you dont have to pick a degree. She didnt want to get pigeon holed into one thing like drawing for example for four years. She wants to be able to try different things and experiences. Plus they are more attuned to conceptual art and not standard forms. She wants to learn new things but she also doesnt want her artistic abilities and preferences squashed for more "academic" art.

Got an email from the school.

Housing deposits are not part of financial aid. I was told I have 2 months to save for it and I can use a credit card! Oh Goody!

Hot dogs and mac and cheese for two months..Yummy!

I need to win the powerball.

So $200 needs to be sent out for May 1st for intention of going to school.

and $450 needs to be sent out May 2nd for intent to lease for housing.

Dont anybody show me another ebay dh or anything! I cant buy anything. I can do this. I just have to be very very very frugal. Way frugal. Ugh!