CHICAGO SHOWS

hey Teresa, great pics and you wound up with some really cool pieces too. gotta love the Mr. and wee Chloei is just adorable! those plants were outta this world! i saw so much foliage i was in heaven. makes my palm tree that im workin on look pretty pityful. maybe i should take a floral class 'cos you did an awesome job on your arrangement. now we need to see Tracy's to see if it turned out a bad as she says!

maybe in the fall they will offer a class on leaded greenhouses.... why cant we make those too? do you know anything about stained glass? i don't but have always wanted to learn. i do know how to cut glass so thats a beginning, but my hands get sweaty when i used to cut because i was so nervous about slicing myself.

oh, and is it "proper" for the Mr. and Miss to be cohabitating without a marriage liscense? LOL

Thanks Sharon!

I don't think they offer classes in the fall, but be sure to save up for next year. I think you'd definitely like to take some classes . . . I already know a few I'm gonna take . . . there was a lady there from South Africa who was doing a bird scene . . . beautiful . . . I want to take her class for sure. I'm gonna stick with buying Charrita Teague's flowers . . . they really aren't that badly priced and they're beautiful.

I made a stained glass panel for my Beacon Hill's third floor. It was hard enough working with a flat panel . . . I don't know that I could ever do what 'Lady Jane' does . . . her houses are absolutely amazing. I've never seen a class like that offered at the Tom Bishop show . . . I don't think Lady Jane teaches, but I could be wrong. Why teach when you can make the kind of money she does making and selling her glass items.

Mr. Pennethorne is staying with his Uncle Percival uptown until the wedding. But that doesn't mean he can't be the 'man' about the house during the day! LOL!!

Teresa, those ferns are lovely!, and your hydrangea is awesome! I saw so many really lovely plants there. I really do have to take one of those classes. I ran into a lady who had a "water scene" she'd made --all plants that thrive in water, and she had the little pond and everything. Really beautiful, and I was so impressed with her "weak first attempt" as she called it!

Thanks Ann! Ann, that lady's name was 'Karen' . . . I bought two of her scenes. They're really pretty aren't they? And she doesn't charge that much for them either. One is for the Beacon Hill garden and the other for the Willowcrest garden. For her first attempt she did an awesome job!

Teresa's turned out totally beautiful! I am so proud of her too because I KNOW how hard each flower is to make!! The pictures do not do that arrangement justice!

Thank you so much, Tracy! They really are difficult and I won't be making any more than what I have to to get the shadow box done. I definitely decided I'm a buyer of such things and will spend my time arranging them in my houses! :D

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Teresa, i'm sure you're right...why would Lady Jane give classes when the sale of perhaps 2 of her greenhouses would net what most people live on for a year! then again how much time would you figure she put into one of those? of all the wonderous things there, those were my dream houses!

maybe i should look into taking some real stained glass classes, or hit the library, oh oh i'm gonna do some web searches first! all i'd need is a solder gun, lead tape and clear glass. and i love playin with tools! my dremel is my best friend. and the construction should be much like a dollhouse.... base, walls, doors, roof....i definately think the Garfield is grand enough to warrant something like that behind the house... a little get-away where i can grow palm trees and ferns an tomatoes an squash year round! i've always been facinated with the time capsule quality of greenhouses.

this is the problem i've discovered with this hobby.... my ideas seem to feed on themselves but it's such FUN! now if i could only marry rich and retire my life would be complete! :giggle: it's fun to think about doing dollhouse stuff for a living too. to be so specialized in something to be able to go to the shows around the country and make a living. seems to me that those vendors should be the happiest people on the face of the earth. ahhhh something to aspire to!

Oh my gosh, Sharon, thanks so much for sharing that link!! I've saved it to my favorites and I'm going to get me one of them sometime this year (maybe for Christmas from Santeeee Claus)!! I love them! The prices aren't too bad either for what you're getting . . . stained glass is usually pretty expensive.

ok now i want Lady Janes Crystal Palace!!!!! imagine having a conservatoy big enough to have "rooms" within.... the "arid" room, the "orchid" room....fountains and chandeliers too! pure heaven!

now i think i need to take a trip downtown to the Lincoln Park Conservatory. i used to go there in the winter when i first moved here and needed a tropical boost. that will be next on the list for this weeks vacation after the Thorne Rooms at the Art Institute! and i plan on takin pics of the Thorns rooms for you Teresa! :giggle:

Sharon, that would be awesome! I might have to plan a trip to visit with you and go see those rooms myself! I also want to see Colleen Moore's dollhouse at the Science Museum. So many things to do . . . so little time!!

i'm so irritated! i went to the library and they didn't have the free pass to the Art Institute! someone has it checked out already! i looked for dollhouse books and only found one on Fimo clay dolls. my branch is crappy!

on a better note i did find 3 novels that look promising and i can knock out a novel a day at the rate i read so when i return them maybe they will have my pass.... otherwise i may have to break down and pay admission. :giggle:

and i'd love to arrange a visit with you Teresa and Tracy and Rachel too! we could all spend the day at the Thorne Rooms. and Colleen Moores Fairy Castle is a must see too! look at the first part of this thread an i think i posted the site for the museums... the science museum has a virtual tour of the castle that you can look at.

That sounds like a great plan . . . can we plan for sometime in May? I'm burnt out from Chicago and need some time to recuperate! I'm getting old . . . Also, I would like to bring Aleah (my Little Sister) along . . . I think she'd really enjoy it and if Tracy brings Rachel, we'd all have a blast!! A Saturday would be best, then I wouldn't have to worry about having Aleah home because school is the next day.

That sounds Wonderful! Saturady is best for me too and May would be Great because this month I have some other things going on too. I am still pooped from last week too. I am so sleepy too I am off to bed! .......z...zz...ZZZZZ.Zzzz :)

How exciting that you are planning another get-together! Wish I were less than 7 hours away!

I just finished photographing all of my new treasures, but I'm way too tired to even think about putting them in the gallery tonight. Tomorrow ... I promise. :)

Teresa, i'm Sure i'm older than you are! but i totally understand the Chicago burnout. good thing i'm on vacation this week! i wanted to do some spring cleaning around here and havent managed to do anything except dirty a few more dishes and read!

and May sounds like a date to me! i'm still gonna try for the free pass, which can admit up to 10 people at the Art Institute i think. and if my branch doesnt have it then i'll run over to the chinatown branch an see if they have it. any excuse to do chinatown! i always love to pick up sandalwood soap when i'm there.

Kathie, you should come too and bring Norma Jean. the more the merrier! and it would be great to meet your little sister, Teresa, and nice to see Rachel again, Tracy. she was such a little angel with a bright smile just like her mom!

there's 4 saturdays in may...take your pick...5th, 12th, 19th or 26th!

The 19th sounds good for me too. The other two Saturdays are the night after Rachel's Big "Play" at school! Her Teacher wrote a Play and Rachel got a pretty good part in it. I am gonna buy a new Video Camera which I'll bring along for us on the 19th too!

:)

Just finished posting my purchase pics in the gallery. Man, I really brought home a lot of stuff! Haven't yet totaled the outlay. I may wait until after lunch ... or supper ... or just wait for the credit card statement :wave:

Just finished posting my purchase pics in the gallery. Man, I really brought home a lot of stuff! Haven't yet totaled the outlay. I may wait until after lunch ... or supper ... or just wait for the credit card statement :thumb:

Well, if you paid with the credit card, it's not like it's real money, or anything!! :wave::) You did good, though -- all kinds of really nice stuff for your houseboat, and beyond.

And I have to get my creative juices worked up...I didn't think about buying the little tins as molds. An excellent idea!

:thumb: wow, wowzer, and whooo-ee, KathieB, you got some stellar goodies!!!

thanks for the eye candy.

of course this heightens the anticipation for the general store, the houseboat, and the special creation for Lloyd.

love the library table, all the metal items, the room dividers ... gosh, congrats!!

:wave:

CJ, I brought home so much loot that there wasn't room to store it, so I've been twice to Wal-Mart for four 3-drawer rolling storage carts and a whole lot of clear plastic boxes to go inside. I'm organizing up a storm, then will be ready to tackle the kits. The work area will have a whole new look, and I think I can open up some shelves for display of finished projects instead of boxes of components.

Kathie, you're a woman with a mission!!

I've pretty much put all my goodies in their places . . . now I have nothing to play with!! :shifty: Maybe I shoulda' bought more!! :lol: But then again, maybe not, hubby got the credit card statement online tonight . . . that's why I'm hiding up here! :ohyeah:

Tracy . . . Sharon . . . I'm all set for May 19th! I asked Aleah's Mom tonight if I could take her with me and she said 'of course'!! We're all excited about the trip and can't wait to see you all!! I've never seen a bigger smile on a child before!! :ohyeah: