CHICAGO SHOWS

I'm so envious of all you gals getting to go to the show and meet up with each other. You all have fun and bring back loads of pictures and goodies to share with us less fortunate ones.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm near Wautoma. But I do some consulting in Madison, and for awhile, was commuting there at least 2 x week. (I'm assuming you're in the Middleton that is near Madison, right?)

Yes, that's right! Gee, you're really not that far from me. Next time you're coming this way, PM me and we'll see if we can't meet up for lunch!

Uh oh ... Norma Jeane is under the weather and may not come to Chicago. Lloyd is in bed with early stages of pneumonia. If NJ doesn't come, that means I have to find a rental car for Lloyd to use while I'm gone. (NJ was going to leave her car here for him to use, but she'll be needing it if she doesn't make the trip.) Only one dealership in town rents cars, and they don't always have them available, especially on short notice. Of course this all came to pass after the dealership closed tonight, so I won't know what's happening until morning.

Cross your fingers that the dealership has a car!

Hmmmmmmm <thinking> ... the girls can get to and from school on their own. If Lloyd's sick, he won't be going to class himself. I just did a major shopping at Wal-Mart, so they ought to be able to eat until I get back. There are friends and neighbors who can be called upon if wheels are necessary. Maybe they can get along without a car for a week.

oh no Kathie! i'm sorry that everyone is fallin out on you this week. and i was so lookin forward to meetin Norma Jean too. i hope everybody feels better in the next couple of days and your plans work out. keep us posted and i'm sending you and yours healing thoughts and prayers!

Oh no, Kathie, you gotta come! The breakfast was your party, after all! I'm sure we'll do OK without you, but it wouldn't be the same! Maybe you can shorten your trip a bit so it wouldn't be the whole week you'd be gone...

how old are the kids? Can they take care of themselves, even if Lloyd is ill? Oh, I hope you can work this out!

Had an encouraging message from NJ this morning; she was feeling better last night. Lloyd had a more restful night, although he says he's still feeling dizzy with a stomach upset this morning.

The girls are 13 and 16. The older one wouldn't notice if Lloyd checked into the hospital for a week, but the younger one will be a good nurse/caretaker if he needs one. And they're used to fending for themselves. I periodically declare a yoyo night (you're on your own) and nobody has starved to death yet.

Keep those good vibes humming!

Thanks, Ann ... it helped! Lloyd is feeling much better, has decided he can teach his classes tomorrow. I called NJ around 2 pm. She was coherent enough to tell me that Charles took her to the emergency room this morning (her doctor has been prescribing by phone for 3 weeks; I think I'd have changed doctors by now) and she got a shot of Demerol. She's has walking pneumonia & flu-like/headachy symptoms, so I can't imagine why the Demerol. And I can't imagine she will be well enough to travel by morning!

So, we put plan B into effect. Just got back from filling out the rental car papers. We'll pick it up in the morning as I'm leaving town and Lloyd's heading to class.

Chicago, here I come!

ALL RIGHT!!!! Way to GO!!!! Drive carefully -- a rental car means a car you're a bit unfamiliar with (you could always leave the rental home and take your OWN car!!)...and we'll see you soon!!!

ALL RIGHT!!!! Way to GO!!!! Drive carefully -- a rental car means a car you're a bit unfamiliar with (you could always leave the rental home and take your OWN car!!)...and we'll see you soon!!!

I am taking our car. Lloyd will use the rental to run around town. It has been a while since I've done any long-distance driving, but I've driven coast to coast on my own, so I'm not intimidated. Will be leaving here around 8 am tomorrow, expect to be at my friend's house in Naperville by supper time.

See y'all Saturday morning! :whistle:

I'm waiting for a call from Norma Jeane. She called earlier and said she was feeling a bit better, that maybe she can make the trip after all. She's supposed to call me before 10 pm to let me know. What a trouper! :lol:

I'm all packed and ready to roll. There's room in the car ... am thinking maybe to bring the Heart Arbor box.

I am leaving the house about 7am and can't wait!! My kids are all acting funny (They don't like me to spend the night away :lol: ) I made dinner for tomorrow and made lunch for tmorrow for everyone. Now I gotta pack my overnight bag (Yeap, I am doing this at the last minute).

Drive carefully everyone and I can't wait to see ya!!

NJ says she's good to go, so we'll both be there. What a cliff-hanger, though!

She still doesn't sound quite herself, but she can sleep in the car, and, as her dear husband pointed out, there are good hospitals in Chicago.

whoooeee, this thread is some of the wackiest reading i've done in a while -- you folks are a hoot!

ok, we gotta do some re-casting :) for this travelogoddessy and bank robbing band of voyagers.

GREENLEAF STUDIOS PRESENTS!

:rifle: CHICAGO HEIST: THE ROAD TRIP

LAVERNE DIFAZZIO, portrayed by evervescent (Andrea)

SHIRLEY FEENIE, a dazzling performance cwoods (Cindi)

LUCY and RICKY RICARDO, played by uppitycats (Ann) & DH "Ralph"

ETHEL MERTZ (Fred's at home), singing a show-stopping solo, by Minis On The Edge (Tracy)

BETTY RUBBLE, hauntingly rendered by MiniMadWoman (Teresa)

WILMA FLINTSTONE, introducing GL Studios sizzling ingenue beachpeach (Sharon)

THELMA DICKINSON and LOUISE SAWYER, cameo roles from KathieB (Kathie) & Norma Jeane

and

J.D. the COWBOY, by mysterydude, in the role immortalized by that guy who pretends he is the real "brad pitt" :lol:

now, please travel :p safely, pack plenty of ammo and loot bags cameras and goodies bags, and

:cheer: have a grand time!!! :cheer:

:lol:

Lucille Ball (c.j.), too bad you can't join us! but rest assured, i told the ladies that i'm a shutterbug and no one is immune to my picture takin! i'll post everything in a gallery on saturday nite when i roll in.

Well, now, Ricky and I will be bringing up the rear, so it seems...as we're not coming until Friday, and I haven't even thought about what to pack, yet...

'cept about 15 books of wallpaper and carpet samples, which will NOT come back with me....even if their last stop is a hotel dumpster, somewhere! :lol:

But I am way excited...made my reservation MONTHS ago, and can't believe it's right around the corner!!! WHEEEEE!!!!!

Getting ready to roll!

Ann, don't worry about getting rid of the extra sample books. NJ and my friend Dot, who we'll be with tonight until Friday morning, are both quilters. They are DROOLING at the prospect of getting the leftovers!

BTW, I have a camera and am not afraid to use it, either ... looking forward to a LOT of fun!

We.re here ... in the Chicago area. The drive up was interesting. We stopped along the road for a little while to watch two tornadoes drop down from the cloud bank. Don't believe either of them reached the ground. and of course were to slow with out cameras.

Had dinner with friends last night and went to their quilt guild meeting. Off today to quilt & miniature shops and the homes of some friends who have special minis, we're told.

Cold and rainy here ... if hyou haven't left yet, bring warm clothes. :lol:

Thanks for the weather update!! :lol: Finally corralled my husband long enough this morning to plot out our route and plans for tomorrow. Already raided the bank, and have clothes laid out, so I'm good to go!

I'm glad your travels were uneventful..except for those little storms :lol: Nothing like travelling through a tornado to get your blood pumping! :lol: See you..and everyone else...soon!

Went to three fabric shops, a bead shop, a miniature shop, a quilt show, visited a wacky artist (more on her later), saw quilts made by my two friends, had lunch and dinner with them.

The mini shop lady was really outspokenly mean about Greenleaf dollhouses. I wanted to slap her. But she had all of her half-scale stuff on sale for half price, so I sucked up the insult and bought anyway. So much for loyalty. *sigh*

It was a FULL Thursday. We're back in the motel, have checked in with our husbands, set out what we're going wear tomorrow, and are ready to roll up to the Windy City show in the morning and the IMA Show in the afternoon, then dinner with Norma Jeane's cousin who lives nearby.

And then it will be time for breakfast! Only two sleeps away. Drive carefully, everyone. :lol:

Hi-Ho, Hi-Ho, it's off to play we go....hi-ho hi-ho hi-ho.... :lol: Heading off to Chicago within an hour....going to make one last run through an ATM machine before I get there, though! :lol:

I think shopkeepers who try to steer you to a particular brand of dollhouse maybe make more money on that brand, or perhaps really don't know what they're talking about! I think they should either make or see someone make every brand of house, to really know and understand the differences, the advantages and disadvantages, and then be able to speak more knowledgeably about what they're selling. I've been on a couple of forums, too, where folks are bashing one kind of house or another -- and it's clear they've not actually built one of the houses they're bashing.

While I wouldn't have slapped her upside the head, I probably WOULD have challenged her views, and asked WHY she thought that..then sent her straight with WAY too many pics of my Garfield! :lol: