Cross stitch experiment

KathieB

It's really nice, Christine. Will you make any for you own houses? I may, I like yours and I'm having great fun with the slightly larger sampler I'm stitching for my Grayson baby.

I might do one for myself one of these days. I rarely do anything for myself, not even full-sized cross-stitch, though I've made lots of fingertip towels and bread cloths as gifts. Somehow anything I do for myself seems like a waste of time! But I certainly am enjoying building this house for charity.

I did not enjoy sending my mom the bill, though. Ouch! I just have to keep reminding myself that it was her idea to do electricity and all the fancy Victorian stuff. I was initially just planning to keep it simple.

What is a Grayson sampler, Holly? I've never done anything more complicated than cross-stitch, or perhaps a little needlepoint which is even simpler, so I'd love to see your work.

Christine, I like the way your mind works! :thank_you:

Thanks for the suggestions. I really do want to do more stitching, but the mini accessory project of the moment is Shelly's gerbera daisies. I've made several dozen and am going strong. It's so relaxing, they're cute as buttons, and I don't need magnification! :cucumber:

Well, that was my excuse when I did some irises that were a little off! Can I see your daisies? I have always wanted loved those little mini flowers but I can't imagine making them myself. It seems like the work of magical fairies!

Christine-

It looks wonderful! Great job. I'll be excited to get to the part where I can start making little things for my house, but that means I have to get the build done someday.

I love the idea of embroidering over a printed fabric. I will definitely look into that one!

What is a Grayson sampler, Holly?
I'm stitching a little sampler for my new precious granddaughter, Grayson Leilani.
Somehow anything I do for myself seems like a waste of time!
My maternal DGM was a needlewoman from many generations back of Scots needlewomen & seamstresses, so I grew up in a houseful of beautifully handmade items (including furniture my DGF, a hobby-cabinetmaker, made) and it just looks naked to me to go into a house without afghans and hand-knotted or braided rugs and needlepoint, etc, etc., and if I sit down without something in my hands to do I fall asleep!

I'll be excited to get to the part where I can start making little things for my house, but that means I have to get the build done someday.

Yeah, that's why I haven't done anything for my own houses yet! they're still not built!

My maternal DGM was a needlewoman from many generations back of Scots needlewomen & seamstresses, so I grew up in a houseful of beautifully handmade items (including furniture my DGF, a hobby-cabinetmaker, made) and it just looks naked to me to go into a house without afghans and hand-knotted or braided rugs and needlepoint, etc, etc., and if I sit down without something in my hands to do I fall asleep!

Fortunately I have afghans and doilies from my own grandmother to decorate my house. I don't have much time to sit around and do needlework unless it's for a gift, but one of these days...!

I can't wait to see your sampler when it's done, Holly!

Me, either. I work on the Magnolia most of the day and then after supper I curl up in front of the TV and stitch (I call it "watching" TV) on whatever's current. So far I have the text and three pictures: an eagle, globe & anchor emblem (for her daddy & grandaddy), a yellow duckie and a train; I'm preparing to stitch a little red ship with red sails, and then possibly a puppy, some houses & children, all in singlestrand floss over one thread-crossing, and then probably crewelwork flowers twining around parts of the text border. I'm making this up as I go along...

Me, either. I work on the Magnolia most of the day and then after supper I curl up in front of the TV and stitch (I call it "watching" TV) on whatever's current. So far I have the text and three pictures: an eagle, globe & anchor emblem (for her daddy & grandaddy), a yellow duckie and a train; I'm preparing to stitch a little red ship with red sails, and then possibly a puppy, some houses & children, all in singlestrand floss over one thread-crossing, and then probably crewelwork flowers twining around parts of the text border. I'm making this up as I go along...

Sounds beautiful but complicated. Can't wait to see the finished result.

(sobbing) You work on your Magnolia most of the day???? (boo hoo hoo.) I wish I could do that! DH is counting the days until his retirement (he has about fourteen years to go) and so am I! Although DS will just be starting college then, so I will probably be slaving away for several more years after that.

I can't wait to see your sampler, Holly. It sounds like a real masterpiece!!!

• 3 months later...