Cross stitch experiment

KathieB

This is my first experiment with counted cross stitch. I used 28-count Aida cloth and a single strand of DMC floss. Not sure whether this will be framed or become a pillow. I'm really glad DH has a set of mag eyes in his toolbox!

And yes, I now it's a little off. So, I didn't count very well ... :thumb:

But I'm just considering it to be Primitive Art ... very primitive!

Looks good to me. Once the hanging/pillow is in place, who will notice that it may be off. With everything else that you will no doubt have in the room, a couple of stitches off will never be noticed. :lol:

Kathie- I think it looks great! :lol: I've done many complicated designs in cross stitch, although in full size. My favorite designer is Marilyn Leavit-Inblum. See: http://www.tiag.com/

I've been cross stitching for over 20 years and I still never get a design perfect. I either frog it (rip-it rip-it rip-it) or adjust it. Even though it looks wrong to me, I know I'm the only one who will ever see it that way.

So don't worry. It looks great!

I'm going to try some mini cross stitch projects soon. Although "soon" may mean when my little ones start collge! :glare: I'll let you guys know if I give it a go!

Thanks, everybody. I plan to do more. Am having some trouble finding patterns that finish up in 1:12 scale, even with the 28 count fabric. I may have to design my own.

Tiffany, the TIAG site has some lovely designs! I may be able to take parts of some of her samplers to use.

Kathie,

Yes, Marilyn's designs are lovely and a true joy for me to stitch. I'm going to try an experiment and do a bit of a design on linen, which is very small. I've stiched on linen for ages, but over 2. Normally you stich over 2 on linen, meaning that each square you stitch is made up of 4 holes (in a square), and you go over two holes instead of just one as you would on aida. Hope that makes sense. So if we stitch over one on linen the design should be 1/4 the size. The problem is that it is tricky. But I'll give it a go and see how it turns out.

In the meantime, here is another beautiful cross stitch design site. This is by Norma Corbett, who is actually Marilyn Leavit-Inblum's daughter: http://www.mirabilia.com/crossIndex2.html

I love the style of floaty dresses and wispy fairies. Enjoy!

I'm doing Grayson's sampler on a high-count linen using one or two strands of floss and my ultra-fancy magnifying visor. So far I'm doing cross & half-cross/ tent stitch, don't know yet whether I'll want to add any crewelwork to it when it's "done", as I'm making this up as I go along. I finished the text in a border and I'm finishing an eagle, globe & anchor Xstitch motif for her daddy (retired USMC) at the top middle. I know I'll have a sprig of holly on it somewhere...

I'm doing Grayson's sampler on a high-count linen using one or two strands of floss and my ultra-fancy magnifying visor. So far I'm doing cross & half-cross/ tent stitch, don't know yet whether I'll want to add any crewelwork to it when it's "done", as I'm making this up as I go along. I finished the text in a border and I'm finishing an eagle, globe & anchor Xstitch motif for her daddy (retired USMC) at the top middle. I know I'll have a sprig of holly on it somewhere...

Pictures, please! Sounds wonderful!

Kathie, it looks great. I actually thought that the left hand tulip was meant to be a little different, to look as if it was leaning a little for a "naturalistic" effect. So it's not a bad mistake at all.

I am currently doing a sampler on 28-count as well. I don't have a magnifier though!

For mini-patterns, someone gave me a wonderful book called "making soft furnishings in 1:12 scale" that has a number of cross-stitch patterns in it, for samplers and pillows and such, but most are designed for 40 or 48-count gauze. I did one chair cover from that and it came out beautifully but I don't think I could do it again!

My mom gave me a book called "Quick as a Wink" by Leisure Arts that has full-sized patterns in it, but they are all simple ones that can be easily translated to minis. The sampler I'm doing is from there... I'll post a pic when I'm done... probably in the next couple of days. They have a lot of simple flower or children's patterns for bookmarks that could be easily translated onto a mini pillow, for example, or the bookmark border could be used on the edge of a bedsheet or tablecloth.

One neat idea from the other book was to use a piece of printed fabric, say a floral pattern of not-too-complicated calico, and embroider over all the printed design. So, it looks like you have something that was embroidered from "scratch" but you really used the pattern already on the fabric! They have a photo in the book of a bedspread they did this way and it looks awesome.

Also, you can probably design your own patterns fairly easily for 28-count after you've done a couple from books. It's not that hard really.

use a piece of printed fabric, say a floral pattern of not-too-complicated calico, and embroider over all the printed design.
I did that in full size many years ago, it was an idea in McCall's or BHG. I hadn't thought to try it in mini, it would look awesome.

Kathie, it looks great. I actually thought that the left hand tulip was meant to be a little different, to look as if it was leaning a little for a "naturalistic" effect. So it's not a bad mistake at all.

Christine, I like the way your mind works! :whistle:

Thanks for the suggestions. I really do want to do more stitching, but the mini accessory project of the moment is Shelly's gerbera daisies. I've made several dozen and am going strong. It's so relaxing, they're cute as buttons, and I don't need magnification! :yes: