Am I Crazy???

bmatson

Okay. Now I FINALLY am at the point to put my 1st floor stairs in. But there is just one problem......they won't go in! Either the stairs are too big, or the area is too small!

Or maybe I am the problem, in the fact that I noticed my stairs are not exactly a perfect square, and maybe it might be just a hair off, and that is making it such a chore to put them in. But I really don't see a way to get the stairs in without breaking either the staircase or one of the walls!

Has anyone else had this problem? Or is it just me? Do you think I should...........I really don't want to say it...........REDO the stairs, making sure to have everything at an exactly perfect square? Or maybe my title is correct.... I AM CRAZY!!!

Thanks for your help (in advance :banana: )

--Betty

not having put together a BH I only can suggest

if there are tabs that are suppose to go in slots...maybe cut them off

once the stairs are in some baseboards will hide the fact and give added support

in the Mckinley there was only one way to twist the staircase around to get it to go in or come out

oh and you have to hold your tounge just right! :banana:

looking forward to seeing some photos!

nutti :yes:

You're not crazy Betty. My stairs didn't fit in perfectly either....in order to get them right, they wound up sticking out about 1/8 inch out the front--tower wall....so shhhh, don't tell, I just shaved of a bit, and you can't tell a bit once I put up the tower wall. I felt a little "imcompetent" that things didn't fit perfectly...but the more I read, the more I find that there are little problems here or there. It seems there are lots of pieces you have to make "fit". Hang in there, as things come together you probably won't even notice.

I didn't have a problem with mine not fitting, however the space that you have to maneuver them around in gets tight. I had to be firm to get them twisted around in place. Now it's a snug fit!

Good luck!

Well, I actually, really, truly have my 1st floor stairs in!!! :yikes: I cannot tell you how happy I am! Nutti, you were right--I had to hold my tongue the right way to squeeze them in! Between that and holding my breath and grunting and crossing my fingers......a mixture of those things helped me put them in. It was such a tight fit, in fact, that I scratched the wallpaper sliding the stairs in. But that is part of the wall between the stairs and the very front wall, so looking in from the back, I dont' think that will be a problem.

Oh, I can't tell you how good it feels to put those stairs in. I feel like I am actuallly making progress now. Of course, now I have to start on the 2nd floor stairs, and I haven't even begun painting them or anything yet. So maybe I won't feel so progressional once I start those :yikes:

Anyway. Thanks for all your suggestions about putting the stairs in. I can sleep much better tonight knowing that I, at least for today, am not crazy :thumb:

--Betty

PS I am hoping to have pictures online today. I would have them already, but of all days I need the camera, I was told my inlaws have it! Go figure that one!