Double hung windows

Carrie

I just cannot get the hang(pardon the pun) of the double hung windows.I don't understand the directions nor can I see from the picture on the box how to do it.Help!-this is the last thing I need to do as everything else is done.

Double hung windows can be a real trick the first time you do them. It's hard to figure them out without visuals. I just happen to be working on a house with double hung windows now, so I've got pictures to share if that will help.

The main thing with the double hung windows is that part of the walls becomes part of the frame. Put the upside down U shape on the window and use a pencil to trace the inside edges. That makes your paint lines. Paint in that area with the same color as the window frame. (or stain if you're using that instead of paint) Then glue the plastic window frame to back of the square piece and glue that to the bottom of the window, lining up the edges with the cut out in the wall. Place the U frame around that and make sure the bottom edges line up evenly with the bottom of the square. Then glue the sill to the bottom of that. Turn the wall over and do the same thing on the other side, except this time, glue the square to the *top* portion of the window, not the bottom. That's what creates your double hung look.

It's actually an optical illusion that the wall forms the back of the window frame. But it's really hard to figure it out by reading instructions, so here's some pictures of the steps on one side.

Deb

post-329-1172219696_thumb.jpg

post-329-1172219706_thumb.jpg

post-329-1172219720_thumb.jpg

post-329-1172220116_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Keep in mind that the upper window section gets glued on the OUTSIDE of the house, so it will overhang the lower section, which is painted on the wall. Otherwise, every time it rains, your little people are going to have a flood inside. :p

yep when i built my white orchid i was stumped on this. it looks like u have some great information from our good friends here :) i have close of pics of my windows in my WO album as well!

• 1 month later...

Wow! I sure wish I would've seen this when I was working on my Orchid!!! I seriously messed up one of the windows and it took quite a bit of doing to fix it! LOL!

I had double-hung windows with Lily, so the ones on my Orchid are the same... For some reason though, I have persisted in papering the wall inside the frames:

I guess I liked how that looked at some point, but now, not so much. I wish I had painted the "interior" part white to match the rest of the window. A bit late for that now.

I wanted the lower sash to move, so I glued bits of old Lily siding to capture the lower sash against the rest of the "frame" so that one can lift it up and down. There has got to be a more graceful way to get this effect-- has anybody else tried to create moving window parts from this type of kit?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...