2/7/07 Work & Money

Minis On The Edge

Would You Take a Less Desirable Job if The Money was Great?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Take a Less Desirable Job if The Money was Great?

• Yes, tell me when
    • No Way
    • I'm Living that way now

Have you ever taken a less desirable job because the money was great only to regret it later on?
No, in my case the less desirable job was what was available to get me on the way to where I wanted to go (and went, but it took a year). No job is worth any amount of money to be miserable.

My last job had to let me go because times were tough, but the atmosphere was stressful. Backstabbing, people always looking over your shoulder, you had to dress a certain way, etc. After they let me go, I found this job. It doesn't pay as well, and is further to drive, but I love it. Nearly no stress, and I can dress in jeans. About three months after I started working here, the old job called back and wanted me back. I said "NO"! They would even have given me a raise. I still said no. It's not worth it. I've been working at this place for nearly 17 years now. I love it.

My mother used to tell me that you could earn $100 an hour at a job you hate and it still wouldn't be worth it. I don't make a lot at my job, but I can count on yearly raises and I get along great with the boss and my co-workers. It is worth it to me to have less money but good relationships.

Yes I took the job with higher pay. I was put in a postion of Asst Manager with an man in the same position and our boss was just as bad as he was. I had to put up with all the dumping of all the jobs that either one of the men didn't want to do and I did it . I did not complain I was a single mom with a young son atime. I was pleasant in all my job with everyone. I never thought I make it there for more than a year and the pressure was great and both men try their best to get me to quit , but in the end I was giving the job of Manager by the corporate office because of my williness to take on the job and do it with a smile . I got even better pay and was giving the job of firing the 2 men ( I must say I took great pleasure in that ) . From there I work for 7 seven in a great place and would have stay til they decide to sell the company. I didn't want to move so I look for a new job.

We decided early on in our marriage that we were not going to have children....which freed us up to do the opposite: take jobs that didn't pay much, or had few or no benefits, because the job was interesting, or fulfulling, or just plain fun. It was only in the last 10 years of employment (my husband and I are both retired..me long ago because of disability, he about 10 years ago) that he took a job that he didn't like all that much but the pay was good, benefits excellent, with long-term benefits offered to retirees -- which is what we depend on for income, now.

I think lots of folks get stuck in jobs they really don't like because they do have $$ obligations that they can't get around...and all those little mouths to feed. It's always lovely to hear about people who are doing what they love, getting paid well for it, are appreciated at their place of employemnt. It should happen more often!

I like my job!! BBBBBBBBBBut some of the people I have to work with are backstabbing, gossiping, mean and love to make you look bad in front of others. So what do you do? I live close and make good money and able to take off work a lot ...

But I stay stressed out a lot... But if I leave that is what some of them would like to see, I sure don't want to do that LOL

Most of the are jealous cause I still live at home and not married and can go and do whatever I want to do and most of them are unhappy.

Iasked my best friend who used to work there if it was me and he laughed and said that is what they want you to think..

Who knows....

I have to keep my chin up cause most of them are retiring and going other places to work in 2008..

:) I would of rather been born into a family with money and not work at all. :groucho:

My sentiments exactly!

But since I have to work... I voted "no way". Actually I did once have a job working for an attorney where after a month of working for him I gave notice - and told him "you don't pay me enough to put up with your sh*t". In all fairness to him though - I don't think he was all that crazy about me either.

Boss I have now is fantastic and coworkers aint' too bad either. Only problem with the job is that due to the nature of my work - February through mid May are real stressful - and at those times I always wish I had a different job. But after May I get to remembering how great the people are - how good the benefits are and the pay isn't bad. So I stay.

nope.

i'll admit that if the work was honest and if the money was fabulously huge ... and after doing decent work for huge sums then i could retire after a year, then i might consider that.

Sometimes, once in a while, it seems that in the arts, or in the Sports 'n Show Biz industry, there are honorable people who do work for fabulous pay.

i am not well paid, never have been. i do decent work, my conscience is clear, and at the end of each day i know i've tried to help lighten somebody's load. that makes the job worthwile.

i wouldn't be offended by being well off, or even independently wealthy, but the only way that's gonna happen is if the Prize Patrol comes by.

I really don't know how to answer this I've worked at the same place for 30 years now. I've got great benefits, am respected by my boss and most days like all the people I work with. I've been promoted several times over the years and the boss looks out for me when raises can be given. So although it can prove to be stressful some days--I can't complain other than I really would like to retire--but looks like I have about 8 to 10 more years before that can happen.

Well, I'm in the mental health field, so I'm not gonna get paid squat no matter what I'm doing.....but I've been thinking about this topic, and strangely enough, Eric and I have been talking about me leaving my current job...I'm a case manager, and I get paid crap.....I have a huge caseload and I just don't have enough time for all my clients, and I NEVER have enough time for all the paperwork, yet I won't get paid if I don't get my paperwork in on time. The agency I work for is a small one, and at that level, we would be well taken care of, but you know how it is when you are "affiliated" with a big corporation.....they don't give us squat to encourage employee loyalty but keep asking more and more from us. I love helping people, but this is ridiculous...I've been burned out for several months and there's nothing my boss can do about it, except letting me take a week off, unpaid because I don't have enough leave time (Did I mention we don't get holidays? We have to use our earned leave time for holidays). I just found out that there is an opening at my last job and I am seriously considering trying to go back...the pay was actually better in the long run (less taxes, actually paid overtime, better benefits)....and the former supervisor (who was one of the reasons I left) is now gone and the new supervisor is great. Plus, the hours are more flexible so I will be able to work while completeing my teaching internship this fall. The only thing I'm worried about is one of the other reasons I left was because I was "bored"....the job itself isn't too challenging, but maybe that will be a good break for me. Also, I don't know if I would be going back to overnights or day shift...I don't really care which as long as it is one or the other....our former supervisor had a few of us doing both and that is just NOT healthy! I found myself getting so sick because my body was screwed up, but she didn't care, just kept scheduling us that way. I actually started a trend when I left, because the other people who were getting "screwed" by her found the backbone to speak up...interestingly enough.

Ok, wow, that was a novel, I'm sorry about that guys and gals....I guess it's just been something that's been on my mind a LOT lately and I think I needed to ramble. Thank you and LOVES to you all for listening to me, y'all are wonderful! ;)

I hear you, Jen!

I loved working in school health until we acquired a nursing director who was apparently hired for his abrasiveness and many good, competent nurses quit and went elsewhere (I ended up at the state hospital in a dual-diagnosis semi-forensic unit).

After that nursing director was replaced by a much more effective one who was better at motivating nurses to work as they should, rather than driving away the ones who didn't require motivation to perform well, my former supervisor called me to please consider coming back. I did (as did one of our ARNPs), only because I loved working with elementary school children & working days with weekends and holidays off and nearly no overtime; since I was still working for the state, the pay was crappy anyway.