How to make fake water?

Ms. Mini

Good Evening Everyone :lol:

I need to make some fake water... i just looked at minatures.com and saw they had a jar of "scenic water" for 12.99.... and well i dont want to spend that much money. SO im asking all you creative friends of mine if you have any cheap ways to make fake water for a scene... "pond" "lake".. etc.

any tips or tricks would be appreciated!!

(((Hugs)))

You can also get the scenic water pellets at Hobby lobby and use the 40% off coupon which will make it cheaper :lol:

You can also go to a hobby store and buy clear resin that is used for fake water in vases for silk flowers :wave: I bought some from walmart a few years back for about $8

Thanks !! do u think michaels would carry that stuff too? i have a 40% off coupon for michaels that i can use starting tomorrw. i'll have to go see what i can find :lol:

Also if you are maing a shallow pond, you can paint the bottom area the color you like and then just add Glossy decopage (A little at a time, layering it as it dries). :lol: If it is really shallow you can paint the bottom of the "wet" area (Pond, bucket whatever) and then add clear finger nail polish.

Yup, that's what I did and it came out pretty good. Just remember where ever you have the water must be sealed off or it will run out the little spaces. I glued some rocks to make a pond and did not know it would leak out and ended up with water everywhere.

You will also want to paint the bottom of your fountain or stream before you add your water :wave: Melanie, I used hot glue to fill in the gaps because someone else mentioned how the water leak out of places you never knew cracks were (I knew that glue gun was good for something :ohyeah:)

Hey, Jenny, I used 'scenic water' for the pond at 'Mother Goose's Cottage'. I got it at a hobby store . . . can't remember how much I paid for it though. I used paperclay to mold and shape the pond and then painted the bottom blue and the rocks around it in browns. You can see pictures of it in my MG's gallery.

Good luck with your project!

You will also want to paint the bottom of your fountain or stream before you add your water Melanie, I used hot glue to fill in the gaps because someone else mentioned how the water leak out of places you never knew cracks were (I knew that glue gun was good for something )
HAHA!! yep!! I better go dust the cob webs off of my glue gun! :ohyeah:

Buy gloss modpodge. If it doesn't need to be too deep it works well.

oo thats a good idea too! do you remember how long it usually takes to dry?

Hey, Jenny, I used 'scenic water' for the pond at 'Mother Goose's Cottage'. I got it at a hobby store . . . can't remember how much I paid for it though. I used paperclay to mold and shape the pond and then painted the bottom blue and the rocks around it in browns. You can see pictures of it in my MG's gallery.

Good luck with your project!

Thanks Teresa! I I love your Mother Goose Cottage!

Another reason to paint the bottom is that I've read that over time the clear resin "yellows".

Oo Holly good tip! i didnt even think of that! Thank you :wave:

My husband used the pellets for his train platform. They have to be melted and are kind of a pain, so please be careful. He burned himself a couple of times. He put them in a clean steel can and melted them on the BBQ grill, then carried it to the basement and poured it into his mini-river. The final effect was really good, though. And yes, it does yellow, but actually that looks realistic since most outdoor water has some algae and dirt in it.

By the way, I have some iridescent sparkly stuff for cake decorating. That might look good if you sprinkled a little on the surface of the water before it hardens... though maybe it would melt on contact.

Thank you for all the information on "fake" water. I've had some here that I've been wanting to play with. That just might be what I decide to do today!!

I used the scenic water on the koi pond for my samurai's house and discovered that if you've covered the rocks in the bottom with moss, the color bleeds out and the water will take on a yellowish tinge. (made it look as if the family dog had committed an indiscretion in the pond) So that got ripped out and I tried it again using the clear acrylic stuff for floral arrangements that Tracy was talking about. (walmart has it in their craft section) It takes longer for it to set up, but it came out crystal clear.

Deb

ok...slightly off topic here but I'm going crazy!!! I found a page for the contest for the arbor the other day and now I cannot find it anywhere!!! Does anyone know where it is?

No your not going crazy Dianne

I'd give it another week after working on the mini scene for the contest. Or at least I'll be that way from all the mini thinking/decorating. :wave:

It just gets bumped from the lead topic on Site info and Feedback if someone else posts on another topic.

Here is the link

Ooooh. Is this for your valentine's arbor contest? I'm nosy.

Thanks for the tips on water. (even though I didn't ask) I am going to put a small creek by my cabin.

I'll never tell.... :wave: lol

Archived