What do you do with Your House 2/1/07

Minis On The Edge

Yes, it's a good question & I've enjoyed reading through all the replies.

I have Sam's Folly, my first (2 kits I 'bashed' into 1) dollhouse, at my side next to my computer. I'm going to dismantle it ( B) ) because it's not quite right & I don't want to alter it. I've taken plenty of photos & I'm quite thrilled at the thought of re-using all the lights, furniture, reclaimed woodwork etc.

When that goes, I think my Beacon Hill will sit there, when finished (I've not even received the kit, yet!).

My Orchid is almost finished externally, but sits here in the computer room so I can look at it whilst I think about the interior details.

GRosvenor Hall, a long-term project, is in the next room, which has become my workroom - sort of.

So really, all mine are works in progress .... and now there's the arbour to find room to work on!

Jackie

I have three finished houses and one green house on display tables[the green house is on top of a dresser]in my bed room. The reason that I keep them there is that we have eight cats and I like all my houses to have yards. Well the cats like the yards also and they mess them all up.If they do get in the yards and something falls on the floor ,one of our two dogs eat it. My finished houses have plexi glass on the openings so they will never get in them . There are times when I have a cat alert,which means a cat is in my room,and we have to hunt it down since they hide. Sot of fun :) I am currently building the Garfield in my room,needless to say for the same reason,small parts on the floor. While at the present time this seems to be working out I am not sure it will when the Garfield is finished since I like people to be able to walk around my houses and see all sides. I am also starting to work on my house that I am going to make into an Irish pub. Well to make matters worse when I finish the Garfield I want to do the Beacon Hill .Well wat to do? I told my daughter I need an addition built on my room and she thinks I am maybe going to far or maybe B) As far as houses being complete isn't there always something you see that will go perfect with one of your houses :lol:

Oh, my...the coupon from Hobby Lobby came via the computer and I cannot wait to find the nearest H.L.!! They have some great deals on furniture and accessories..We do not have one close to us, so when I go to meetings or to visit friends or family, I alway ask if they have one nearby..those 40 off coupons really help. I am always on the look-out for furniture on ebay and then do some other internet shopping..There is always something available that I cannot live without!!! Have a very small dollhouse that my Hubby bought at an auction...filled that and have totes filled with "stuff" to put in the Beacon Hill and

Victorian Farmhouse..(that is when I get them done!!!) What fun to change the furnishings around between the houses..and where are my houses?? Well, when company is coming, they have to be moved to the basement..Dream of having a room all to myself someday just for the houses!

Question?? I just want to keep building and decorating dollhouses...well, I think you all understand that!...so , if I decide to make and sell some, how do you decide just what to charge???

I love looking at the wonderful homes you have finished..gives me real incentive...you are all so very, very talented!!

nanadi in Wisconsin p.s. it is really, really cold here!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a weird little rule for myself and every time I place an order, I always pick up something extra for the Pierce. Sh'es my baby, so she gets presents now and then.

Deb

ME 2!! well for my willowcrest that is. lol. I always joke that i spoil that house!

Done - one can never be done, its like owning a real home. always upgrades to do!

yep i agree. just when i thought i was finished with my willowcrest i already have plans to add on more! im very excited about it though :)

so lets see im

-working on new touches for the willowcrest.

- working on finishing touches on my WO

-building my Emerson Row

-working on my heart arbor entry

-and about to start builiding my moms tennyson...

yep i have my hands full yikes!!!

I grew up in Canada and built my first house there from scratch ( mansard-roofed three-floor open-back house covered in white clapboard). When I moved from the west coast to the capital (other side of the country), it came with me in a special wooden crate my dad built for it (coming out through customs with this crate balanced on my dollshouse, a customs man hurriedly appeared and stopped me to ask what was in the crate. I replied that it was a dollshouse I had built myself, and looking completely baffled he disappeared again without even looking inside this massive crate which could have contained anything). It survived several moves to different apartments in Ottawa, at one point serving as a side table next to the sofa. Then it was custom-crated to come over the pond when I moved to the UK.

Now in my tiny UK house it lives on a small table in our small upstairs hall landing. Downstairs in my not-very-big living room I have a five-floor Victorian front-opening period house, a 1/24th scale thatched cottage, a 1/24th scale Georgian house (not finished), and in the kitchen is my three floor (one room per floor) French gatehouse sitting on what used to be the telephone table. On the kitchen wall unit are several room boxes and my 1/24th scale cafe/b&b, my 1/48th scale gift shop house, and my 1/48th scale New Orleans house, and also my first 144th-scale house.

All my houses have their own specific furniture and I rarely move any pieces to another house. I do buy cheap furniture when I find it (if I like it) and store it in the attic for future projects, and in fact I have several pieces plus a bag of cheap lights waiting for me to start the Willowcrest which is living in its box against my bedroom wall. I also occasionally splurge on a high-quality furniture item if it is well made and good value for money. We don't have Hobby Lobby over here but you can get the boxed sets of improrted cheap furniture at places like Hobbycraft, but I rarely buy them as they are not really true to scale and can be a bit crude. Sometimes you can convert them so they look better. So I agree with the previous post that it can be a very expensive proposition to furnish successive houses - usually the house is the cheapest purchase and it is the inside details that really hit the pocketbook!

Best wishes,

Sharon

I usually have one or more projects ongoing. Once I have the concept I start collecting things for it. That means I have some furniture and accessories to go in it when the house or building is complete. I have two Lankford pieces the, English Cottage and Venetian Scene in our foyer on a large long table. I have another The Leaky Cauldron/Diagon Alley on TV cart at the end of our upstairs hall. I have one roombox, Shakespeare's Study in the Living room and another Whitledge Burgess class Kitchen in, where else, the breakfast area of my kitchen. My Montclair a very long term project is still in my workroom on a very large table under construction and it will reside in the living room when it finished. I have all the furniture and lighting for that and I am building the kitchen cabinets for it now. I still have to finish up the Watermill from a Pierce class and it will go in our bedroom on a chest when completed. I am working on the designs and collecting stuff for my first large scale from scratch project Elrond's Library. That too will reside in the bedroom. In the lineup to do I have a large Tudor coaching house/tavern building, a castle, the White Orchid and the Fantasy Villa. Um... New Years resolution. I will not buy any more kits. I will not buy any more kits. I will not but any more kits.

• 1 month later...

I agree with the majority, you're never done. I've also been known to rearrange furniture, redecorate, repaint, and change things between projects. I decorate for every holiday, including the 1 day events like Valentines Day. It's like the dolls are real people here, and my family have come to expect changes. Keeps them guessing what they'll see next, and therefore interested!

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I have a small house so he has determined that I can have one house at a time. He's not mean - we really have a small house! I donate my houses to various places that I know will appreciate them. I started by giving them to coworkers that have girls and I knew that they couldn't afford one. My mom lives in a rural community and works with the church and told me about a little girl that just came to live with her Granma after a bad time so I gave one to her. I am working on a small house now. I don't know yet where it is going to go. I like to build the furniture too. It is so relaxing to play after work. :wave:

I can only part with a house if I know from the beginning that it's for somebody else. Currently, I have five houses and a roombox in our very small living room, with my travel trailer, diner and hacienda in another room. My various seasonal scenes are stored away until the appropriate season. Hubby has been asking me what I plan on doing with the Sugarplum and I honestly have no idea where it will go, but I do know I'm not going to part with it. The Columbian was shipped today and since I already have plans for it, well, it'll have to be built, right? Really praying for a bigger place when we move to Missouri!

One in the lounge which is supposed to be played with under supervision and one in her bedroom. Every now and again when I get the urge I drag one or the other out and do a little more work on it. :shaun:

You mean you're actually supposed to finish a house.... :wub:

I have yet to finish one, so I'm not sure what will happen to them. I can't imagine parting with them but they do require a lot of space.

Congrats Holly. You must be so excited!

I don't buy new furniture, I make almost everything in my dollhouses! I decorate them to the 9th degree, and will be displaying them in my living room. Probably against the wall where the TV is and not in front of the windows! I can't wait to have them on display! I love them so much! OK I've said way too much here!

Wolf hugs from

Wolfie