Heart Arbor Contest 2007

I convinced the volunteers that are judging the contest that this would be fun... they are very stressed out right now. There are so many wonderful entries that it's hard to choose just three. It's going to be a long day for them for sure!

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sending them happy thoughts and a cyber shipment of an assortment of Dunkin Donuts and a couple boxes of Joe!

Believe me, we all feel for them..Are they getting hazard pay? LOL

There is some SERIOUS competition here. I especially loved Morticia and her inverted heart arbour... Lovely.

@Intrinsicat--I used the same rosin they sell at craft stores to create fake water for plant vases. They keep it in the floral section at michael's.. it comes in two parts that need to be blended and then poured. In order to get the fish to float close to the surface in 'layers', I poured a bit, let it harden for a day, placed my first fish down there, poured more over him, let that harden, and then placed the final koi on top of that layer, and poured it over him. I put the water lilies on top of that while it was still fairly gel-like, so I didn't have to use any glue.

The rosin was about $8

There is some SERIOUS competition here. I especially loved Morticia and her inverted heart arbour... Lovely.

@Intrinsicat--I used the same rosin they sell at craft stores to create fake water for plant vases. They keep it in the floral section at michael's.. it comes in two parts that need to be blended and then poured. In order to get the fish to float close to the surface in 'layers', I poured a bit, let it harden for a day, placed my first fish down there, poured more over him, let that harden, and then placed the final koi on top of that layer, and poured it over him. I put the water lilies on top of that while it was still fairly gel-like, so I didn't have to use any glue.

The rosin was about $8

Oh! thanks for the tip!

I used the same rosin they sell at craft stores to create fake water for plant vases.

Thanks very much! Someone else had mentioned clear caulk, which is what I was going to use, but I was afraid it might not solidify enough in a big area. I'm off to Michael's for rosin! THANK YOU!

I'm a wally world snob... I refuse to shop there! ::wave::

I am so amazed at some of these submissions; you are all giving me a complex! OMG.. Steve in PA; Jackie, and Kathy B's EXTREMELY imaginative ski-lift.

I'm blown away.

Amazing job everyone.

BRAVO!!! :wave:

its kind of rubbery when it dries. i swirled mine around to kind of look like tiny waves. and it took about 24 hours to completely dry. I didnt do mine really thick. just enough to give it texture.

Will they be sequestered until they make a decision? :wave:

Yes they were, but now the decisions are in. Though I won't list the winner until tomorrow, I have some good news to announce! The judges felt too restricted with picking three winners based on originality, so they have added three additional prizes for the following:

Best Photographic Composition - $50 Gift Certificate at the Greenleaf Company Store

Best Floral Arrangement - $50 Gift Certificate at the Greenleaf Company Store

Best incorporation of a Greenleaf Dollhouse - $50 Gift Certificate at the Greenleaf Company Store

There is also a discussion of entry gift, but you'll have to check back tomorrow for more info about that.

We had a lot of fun here today looking through all the pictures, so I thank you all for sharing your fantastic entries!

Dean

Wow, Dean, that's fantastic!

And I hope you have a special prize lined up for each of the judges ... they deserve one after spending the day wading hip deep in creative juices!! :wave:

The judges deserve special recognition for going "above and beyond the call of duty" with this one! I have at least ten favourites - each of the 36 entries is beautiful in its own right. So glad we didn't have to choose!

Dean, you have proven once again that YOU ARE THE BEST!! Thanks for all that you do.

I'm sure that everyone will agree that the judges deserve a prize also. How about a day off work with pay to get their heads back on straight!! There is no way I could have made that decision! Now I guess there's 36 people who won't sleep until tomorrow (lol)

Steve

:wave::wave::) More prizes!!!! More chances!!!!! More recognition!!!! More...more....more!!!!!

This is fantastic.....I know I could not narrow it down to three...there are too many way too different gems in that gallery. Your staff are awesome Dean for making the tough decisions....and you are the greatest for having this contest to perk everyone up!!

Now........is it midnight out there yet??

How awesome that they wanted to spread the joy!!

I said it before in another post, and I'm going to say it again here, because I really mean it. I ADORE this community. I am part of many groups online, but this one really surpasses the others in supportive, kind, imaginative, wonderful people.

I guess it's a miniaturist thing. :wave:

Dean... Judges, you guys rock.

What a wonderful way to bring in Spring with MORE prizes! Dean, you and the Greenleaf staff deserve an ovation . . . I don't know how you all do it! You're wonderful! Thank you for all you do . . . and then some!! :wave:

How exciting! I'm starting to feel like I'm in a reality show - the part where the announcer comes in and throws another monkey wrench out - although in the case of Greenleaf it's always good news! :wave: :wave:

Dean and judges, I bow down in homage before you, for making such difficult decisions, for adding more categories, and for being just generally awesome. Thank you!