9/7/05 Question of the Day

Nameless1

Every day, we will start having a "Question Of The Day". Some will be mini relevent. Some may be inspired to create a mini scene based off the question of the day.

Todays' question is:

In what Sherlock Holmes story does the bell pull serve as a slide for a snake?

(Bonus points if you can provide a Web site that shows mini Sherlock Holmes scenes! I'll add them tomorrow if no one finds them, as they're fantastic.)

Me again. I forgot to add that there used to be a vogue in doing Sherlock Holmes/Baker Street houses and roomboxes. Anyone with old Nutshell News has probably seen them. There was even a "Mini Tonga" Society (I THINK that was the name) for Sherlock Holmes miniaturists. My sister got into miniatures as a hobby as a result of being a fan of the British Sherlock Holmes series that ran on PBS and later A&E network in the 1980s. She built a dollhouse of 1/2" plywood that represented a three story Georgian townhouse (221B Baker Street) for Sherlock Holmes, Dr. Watson and Mrs. Hudson (their landlady), then was trying to collect or make elements from each of the sixty stories. Last summer she gave Baker Street to me, which got me back involved with miniatures--- and with you good people.

I would love to see pictures of other Sherlock Holmes miniatures, and to send the URL to my sister.

BTW, right before the two of us got into miniatures-- and this was in the later '80s-- there evidently was a trend for "mouse houses." I guess that was making miniature houses for mice figures to live in????

Bee

Well, it's interesting that people were still doing Sherlock Holmes in 1997. I converted Baker Street into a regular Victorian family dollhouse and moved Holmes into a 3-room roombox "flat"-- then out of that, and now he's standing in a bordello, looking out of place. LOL.

I don't know of any other literary figure that has inspired so many miniaturists. I know there are a number of Clark Gable/Rhett Butler 1" scale dolls out there, but I don't think I've ever seen a miniature Tara. Are there mini Wuthering Heights?

And wouldn't the 3-room apartment from the "I Love Lucy" show be fun?

Bee

I seem to remember a few years ago a thread on SSD about making "Lucy" roomboxes, it may be in the archives ( www.smallstuff-digest.com ).

Oooo! You could find an old TV somewere and hollow out all of the innards and screen so that you just have the TV box and then use that as the shell of your "I Love Lucy" dollhouse. Just start dividing it into rooms! I can see it now! :o

Mini, mini thanks for the terrific link, Wende! I have read & enjoy the Sherlock Holmes mysteries for years! Although I'm not a Baker Street Irregular by any means, it's a joy to see all the miniature 221Bs :o