An organized work area

KathieB

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to report that the nice clean, well-organized space I was bragging about at the beginning of this thread is now a little scruffy around the edges. The shelves are loaded, there's a table to one side heaped with General Store stuff, the peninsula table is loaded with the flotsam and jetsam of the houseboat, and the table along the wall has swap & flower stuff on it. The Rabbit Habitat had to go upstairs without a front door to make room for the houseboat. There's still a semblance of order, and I'm keeping the floor swept, but I'm flat out of empty workspace.

With the line-up of houses in the corner, I need to do some serious cleaning here ... after we get back from Chicago.

Ray's the tidier upper in our house. He's decided he's going to buy me another set of shelves for my work area. I think it's become "our" work area. But, since he's working on my miniature projects I don't mind. If you notice the table he bought was a double size. It has to have at least 3 chairs. Trinity always has to sit in a chair right beside me. Doesn't matter what room of the house I'm in ... she's there.

Missymew doesn't like going downstairs to the basement level. She stands at the top of the staircase (in the kitchen) and howls. Wants me back upstairs. I usually either call her down (she'll come for a while) or I go upstairs and cuddle her until she falls asleep.

Ray is working tonight, so I'll wait on him before I start on the Orchid ... I know he's as excited as I am to get started.

-Susanne

The house we just moved into had a section of basement dedicated to quilting - the previous owner had one or more quilts in every single room. In fact, now every room has empty quilt panels - not sure what I'm going to do with those...

The room is large enough to fit a pool table with large open french doors for great lighting! We just moved a long table into the area for crafting and miniatures. I might finally be able to start a large project! Great timing for this post, I can get some great ideas on organization!

• 3 weeks later...

Organization is not my middle name. I really need help! I've got mini things in the basement, on the main floor in three rooms, and in the loft where my doll area is.....they are everywhere. Doug says even if I had a 4500 quanset hut to myself, it would not be enough room! Funny how much "stuff" it takes to make a doll or build a dollhouse.....

Wolfie

Since I started this thread, a couple of projects have come and gone and I've reorganized yet again. Wal-Mart had some plastic 3-drawer roll-around bins on sale. I bought 4 of them and a number of smaller boxes that fit inside the drawers and managed to get some materials and supplies off the wall shelf and out of sight and emptied some of the storage containers that were stacked under the tables. The stacked containers turned out to be difficult to maintain, since getting something from the bottom one meant moving the top two ... and the items inside were really a jumble.

The 3-drawer rolling bins fit under the table, so in combo with 3 stack containers, they hold a lot of stuff and still leave me knee room for working. Each of the drawers is labeled, so I have an idea where to look for things. The shelf now has space for finished and on-going projects as well as some supplies.

The tan curtains to the left hide some storage shelves that really hadn't been cleaned since we moved here 18 months ago. I gave them a good clear-out. Found the large box that's on the table. It held slides and 8mm movies from years and years ago. In order to get my workspace cleared, I went through and culled about 700 slides that are going to Wal-Mart to be digitized and stored on a CD, and the rest were tossed. I don't know what to do with the 8mm film. No longer have a projector to look at it and dont feel like paying gobs of money to have it put on video if it's nothing I'd want to keep anyway. I may end up just pitching it.

Go, Suzanne!! Doesn't it make you feel good to have that chore behind you? :)

When we were in Chicago last month, NJ and I were guests at a quilt guild meeting. The speaker gave a talk on organizing workspace. A couple dozen quilters let her come into their workspace with her camera. It was quite amusing as well as educational. The spaces ranged from what looked like last week's contribution at the local dump, with fabric, boxes, stuff, all in a jumble, to generous shelves and bins with fabric all folded to a particular dimension and sorted by type, color, shade. Our two hostesses (my friends from HS) represented the two extremes, although the organized one wasn't quite THAT organized. Both of them turn out wonderful quilts.

I guess what I'm saying is that your workroom is your workroom, and there's no point beating yourself up if it isn't ready for a visit from the "House Beautiful" photographers. Having fun is what it's all about.

I had me a chuckle when I say your rolling carts under your tables and just how much stuff you now have in your work area. mine has gotten out of control lately and Im feelinging a little boxed in with all of these projects.

I need to do some re organising.

sooo glad you started this thread for all of us. it helps to see how others do things to help us get ideas.

side note: did yall see the noticbly LACK of craft supplies in the new revamped Wal-marts

I have more of a paint selection than they do. I was soooo crabby when I saw this.

nutti :)

I have also been working on organizing my basement which is supposed to be the craft, play & den all in one room before Summer vacation. Hmmm, I have a little over a month & a half to achieve this.!

I have been picking up the plastic shoeboxes... and trying to organize my minis in those by Christmas, Halloween & so forth.

I got a 6' table a few weeks ago and I need to get it set up.!

Kellee

Ok, I really need some ideas on storing some stuff... I am trying to make the basement into the craft room, play room and a Den.! I want a place to display my house & Houses.!! (Cause I intend to have more)

Does anyone here have any ideas on storing beads. ? I used to make alot of stuff with beads and have alot.!!! I have them in food continers now sorted by size & color but they take up alot of room.!

Thank You

Kellee

bead storage??

well how about a nut and bolt organiser type thing?? little cabnit with lots of little drawers?

I have one I am going to use for all my little hutch goodies.

I use bead organizers also. and plastic shoeboxes that i can see through.

go look in the fishing or tools dept and see what they have.

nutti :thumb:

ok, My beads are in those plastic food container you get when you buy a pound a potatoe salad. But they take up ALOT of room. I have them organized by color & Size. I think I need to get rid of some of the beads as I have way toooooo much.!

I got a "new"(to me) entertainment center for my Living room, and took the big one down to the basement, thinking I could use it to hold a tv, and a dollhouse (s) LOL.!

I really think If I had shelves it would come together alot easier..... I have no floor space as everything is on the floor. I got a dresser to put some stuff in but I just need to figure out how to get the floor space. I am thinking of getting rid of the 6' table and just using a card table.!

Kellee

is there some reason you cannot have shelves?

lots of storage to be had up and out of the way...

my DH was just commenting the other day how I could use another row of shelves over the one I have up over my work area now.

its hard when storage and display are in the same room!

nutti :groucho:

Everytime I look at the title of this topic, I say the same thing out loud. I say "Is there Such a thing? :) I won't show you my work areas (Scattered about the kitchen, dinning room & front room now but I am happy that it is not as bad as it has been in the past :blush:

Everytime I look at the title of this topic, I say the same thing out loud. I say "Is there Such a thing? :) I won't show you my work areas (Scattered about the kitchen, dinning room & front room now but I am happy that it is not as bad as it has been in the past :blush:

all I can say to that miss T is....keep all of these hints and tips in mind because someday you will have to organize your workshop and there are lots of wonderful ideas here to get you started!

how you do so much in your little work area is beyond me!

hats off to you!

nutti :)

I'll try to post a picture of the rotary center I'm working on. The Dremel is mounted in the drill press for fine work, the Foredom is hung from the press/hanger, and it seems happy there. Don't know what I'll use the Dremel flex shaft for, if Marg gets a Dremel she can have it. I'll have to organize the bits and accessories, but I think this set up will work well overall:

post-562-1178689042_thumb.jpg

After a little bit of playing with the Foredom I'm very impressed with how responsive the foot cotrol is. It's really easy to keep the tool at a particular speed, even down to a crawl, and then modulate the speed. I thought this thing would be real twitchy, but it's anything but that.