I had no idea how much sanding is involved!

caitejay

So I officially started the Becaon Hill last night after dinner, my first dollhouse. I envisioned glue going down and a shell beginning to form before I went to bed. How wrong I was! It took me almost an hour to cut the pieces and tabs out of the sections I'm working with, then another hour to sand them! I was just able to do a dry fit before going to bed. I didn't even get to seal anything...thank goodness I'm super-excited about this project, otherwise I'd be going crazy!

But I did get to stain the first floor, so I do feel like I made progress...

Well you know I might be crazy but the sanding sort of sends me to the "zone" I think Holly talked about. I find it ever so therapeutical (sp?) to have a piece of sanding block and go over all the pieces until they are smooth....

Somedays I can even start a scratbuild of a chair or the l ikes just to get to sand something, yup, weird I know but it is something that sort of releases a lot of stress getting that smoooooooth feel...

Dry fit sounds good though and I am looking forward seeing your pics of this "little" gem whenever you want to share some, oh did I mention I am also a ey candy "junkie" LOL

Hugs and good luck!

For me, the prep work is the least fun part, but it's a means to an end. The building is so enjoyable, it's so cool to see the flat pieces of wood form a miniature house. It will only get better from here!

I'm working on the BH myself! There are at least 2 other people building it right now on the forum, so look for our blogs and pictures in the gallery!

Take lots of photos of your progress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, it can kind of take you by surprise the first time, but you soon learn how to do this while waiting for glue to dry on other parts. But the end justify the means.

Somedays I can even start a scratbuild of a chair or the l ikes just to get to sand something, yup, weird I know but it is something that sort of releases a lot of stress getting that smoooooooth feel...

Hugs and good luck!

My husband feels the same way. He enjoys sanding and refinishing. :music_band: I agree with Bec though, best to just keep thinking well doing it, it's ok, it will be worth it when I'm done. :groupwave:

Kat

I'm building the BH, too, and I barely sand. :music_band: I hate sanding, actually. I just do the edges if something isn't fitting. I figure I can still sand later if it looks horrible or something. I didn't sand my walls before I painted them, and they look good (to me). You can see part of the results of that in the painting section of my gallery if you want to take a peek.

I actually like sanding. Like picking up that rough piece of wood and not laying it back down until it's "soft" and smooth. I actually "oversanded" some of the Garfield pieces, and had to fill in a bit with wood putty, later...

But I think lots of folks are surprised when they pick up these kits -- after reading the outsides, which talk about how easy it is to put together...to realize that indeed there is a ton of prep work necessary before the first piece is glued! Fun, though!! :music_band:

I, too, love sanding. It's a great antidote to stress. So is polishing brass or silver. I have my next house punched out and all the edges filled, so any time I want I can grab a piece and do a bit of sanding. I feel like I'm making progress in 10 minute increments.

I'm still building my beacon hill, my first house. I started getting lazywith sanding after the third floor and on. How I wished I was a sanding machine now, cause I'm painting and it looks sloppy. So now I'm sanding and it's hard to get at the edges at a lot of the little corners and spaces.

Have fun and please post pics!

I am building the Beacon Hill too. That is one of the bigger Greenleaf kits, so there is definitely more work involved. I don't spend too long on the sanding though. It only requires light sanding, so you should be able to move over each piece pretty quick. The more time consuming sanding jobs come when pieces don't fit together properly. Then you have to sand down the tabs more to get it to fit. But for the pieces that do fit well, the sanding should go fast.

I also find that it isn't a good idea to have expectations of how much will get done during any given building session. Sometimes I feel like I get quite a bit done, and other times I might hit a snag. Today I was hoping to get pretty far on my roof, but despite spending a few hours out in the garage with the house, I only managed to get one piece punched out. I got some other stuff done instead, but still didn't get to the part I had intended. That just happens sometimes, so it is better to try to go with the flow. I have been working on my BH for months now, and still have a lot to do. I just focus on how much I enjoy being in the midst of the project, and then I don't get as anxious to be near the finish line. Well, I get a little anxious, because I can't wait to see how it turns out, but I'm not going too nuts over the slow progress. Maybe if anyone knows a good military school that will take a 6 and 3 year old, then I'll move through it a lot faster. :doh:

Stacey

I am definitely discovering that dollhouse plans on any given night should be thrown out the window - because none of the plans I've made have come to fruition - there's always an extra step I need to do or the pieces aren't ready yet. I think just going with the flow is great advice.

Tonight I wanted to glue the foundation together, but instead I ended up sealing the walls and dry-fitting the staircase. I have yet to use a single drop of glue!

I am forcing myself to consider this house (my Dura-craft Queen Anne) to be THE FIRST major build using techniques I have learned here. Sure, I've built other houses, but this the first major project that I have taken on.

I am making myself go slow--I am sanding and painting all the exterior surfaces first. Then I will paint all the basic trims (with my second color). Then, when that is done, I will add my third color (still deciding on 3 or 4 colors) in small places here and there. I am thinking the door and a few of the parts ornamenting the house will be a 4th color, but I am unsure yet. I just know that I want it to be a bold color.

1st color: a nice creamy beige that works with nearly every color

2nd color: a gorgeous deep blue

3rd color: a sage green, but it is a little darker than the ordinary sage

4th color: a nice coral color, that is more red than orangy

What say all of those who are color gurus? Think this will be awesome? I hope so. I have thought this through many times. All the colors seem to flow together into a nice harmony when put together on samples.

What say all of those who are color gurus?

I'm no "guru", but all my life I have "heard" colors and yours sing. 2nd color, you might go for royal blue or blueberry, and go for a lighter coral.

Sandra, your color choices are luscious. You don't say whether they'll be deep colors or more toward pastels. You'll probably want to experiment a little bit to achieve the best contrast.

I'm thinking that if the blue is deep, the sage might be a lighter shade, with the coral the lighter than the sage, darker than the creamy beige, for example.