Rember these?

bergie

Well, getting close to opening a website. Getting the leagl paperwork around Jan.10th.Got to get the tax papers you know.lol. Anybody remember those beaded hippie curtains for doorways? Got a couple of different patterns going. (One of the cats just jumped up here to correct my spelling,I guess.) So what about those curtains? What was your favorite pattern?Must be other people than me left over from the 60's. bergie

well as owner of 3 different beaded curtains

I like the peace sign. the dragon is nice also.

the daughter has flower beads so perhaps hers doesnt count.

I love the ones which depict a scene.

are you opening a mini site or what?

nutti :)

Wow! Beaded curtains with scenes involves a lot more beadwork experience than I have. Our beaded curtain came back with us from HI and was just series of tropical wood beads in their natural colors. We did hang black fishnet from the ceiling in the kitchen, it was great for displaying greeting cards. I painted life-size versions of two of Andreas Vesalius' anatomic plates (left side muscle & skeleton views) on the kitchen walls and DH hung the net from the hand of one to that of the other. It turned out to be a major selling factor when we had to sell the house & move a year later.

I liked the large brown wooden beads. :(

Remember the striped bellbottoms. :o

My "favourite" 60's bellbottoms were covered in the stars and stripes. I live in Canada, but my parents emigrated from England after the Second World War. My mum and dad were horrified to say the least when I first doned my stars and stripes. When the bottoms had dragged too long and ragged, I then snipped off the legs and wore them as hot pants.

My favourite beaded curtains were ones I had made of brown seed shells, and another set that were floral.

Anyone still have any of their old black light posters?

-Susanne

I actually have beaded curtains in my apartment...

These...

post-251-1167871834_thumb.jpg

are in the doorway between my kitchen and dining room...

and these...

post-251-1167871890_thumb.jpg

are in my bedroom window...only mine are clear irridescent!! I love them!!! and the site I bought them from has tons of different ones!...beaded curtains

and the prices aren't too bad either!!!

sure! beaded curtains were cool, and the ones i remember had big brown wooden-looking beads.

best black light poster: Donovan, think it was a pic from Sunshine Superman.

and there were:

incense burners

fringe shirts

tie-dye everything

fur vests

day-glo posters

platform shoes (ick)

bells (bellbottom pants) with embroidery on the bottoms

bells (brass, brand name was Sarna) on a rope or cord, hanging from the doorknob

and patchouli-scented everything.

and "hassle" was a new word. :whistle:

be mellow, fellows,

I was a kid during the 60s-70s, so I can tell you what I recall from a kid's perspective:

Schwinn bicycles

Plaid pants in stripes or flairs

Metal roller skates. I also had a skate board with metal wheels but that thing was impossible to control!

45 RPM records and portable record players in a folding case

Tiger Beat and 16 magazines, and Mad magazine

Fantasy fur (fuzzy pillows were the ultimate)

Masonite paneling (we had a rec room that was incredible)

Danish Modern furniture

Kitchen pendant lights that could be raised and lowered

Ramblers and station wagons

Cat-eye glasses, and later on Granny frames

Shift dresses and matching coats, often accompanied by a pillbox hat (every suburban mom dressed like an astronaut's wife or Jackie Kennedy)

Patios, NOT decks

Linoleum

going shoeless in the house because the off white carpet was NOT stain resistant

Ashtrays, even in non-smoking homes

Kettle style bar-b-que grills

Sears Wish Book

Bean bag chairs

Love the feedback here!!! :D I'm making beaded curtains for doll house doorways. Got one done so far. It's green beads with flower beads every so often.They are 6" high by 5" wide. Going to start one tomorrow of peacocks in a garden.Lots of work on that one. And yes, I'll put them on my site when I get the legal paperwork,sometime next week so the site should be running by the end of the month. I used to make beaded jewelry-butterflies ,lizards,dragons. Now it's beaded mini doorway curtains. With the hairclips,it took me 60 hours to make one hairclip of the butterfly and then I'd give them away or sell them for a whopping $6. Hardest part of the curtains isn't the pattern.it's gluing my darn fingers together with krazy glue when I have to put the beaded wire on a curtain rod. Wow, that hurts.Now..roach clips Missymew? hahah. I remember the first Woodstock.Wasn't there.Nobodythought it would be what it was. And the Chicage Seven? Maybe we can learn something from that era. I'm not a peacemonger,don't get me wrong with what I saw= I have a grandson going in the air force in Februay.Have an ex=son in law who was shot down in Nam and spent a year in a body cast.But maybe it's time to let things work them selves out and bring our guys home? After a;;. Ho chi minh didn't send any troops to fight Mayor Daley in Chicago. We worked it out. So, I hope I haven't stepped on toes.Sorry if I did. I worry for my grandson and all the good boys there.We lost a lot here in Pennsylvania,all decent boys. But,enough.I'll post when the site is up and all you old flower children came come by and relive. bergie

Don't feel bad, Linda, we lost friends & classmates during the mess in Viet Nam and I'm 1) eternally grateful to God that both my military sons completed their rather lengthy services with honor, dignity and pretty much whole skins (although DS#1 had to retire for service-injury-related reasons); and 2) getting thoroughly sick & tired of all our sons & daughters being blown to Kingdom Come or whatever for even less of a pretext than Viet Nam (and I was no Peacenik, DH served in the USMC in the last draft-call the USMC had).

well. thanks for the comments and the photos.Almost have the first curtain done.I'm using small beads and making a design.The first one is a splash of color,like an abstract.The next might be a palm tree?? Got some more patterns drawn out.Tomorrow I go to register a trade name and then when I get the website up,I'll post. Been working on that one beaded curtain for the dollhouse door for what?Days?A couple of weeks? bergie

• 2 months later...

Some friends of my parents had beaded curtains in their bathroom between the toilet area and the sink. I loved going through them when I was a kid. They were clear and shades of crystal blue and green, I think. It was like walking through a curtain of raindrops.

Not to mention roach clips. For 30 and unders ... these had nothing to do with insects.

-Susanne

while moving stuff back into our house I found an old roach clip, complete with the leather cords with beads and feathers on it .

Darrell still has a few tie dyed shirts and an ugly hat he wore in those years.

Melissa

grannie gowns, bare feet and big floppy hats

tv dinners you had to bake in the oven for an hour!

color tv

AM radio

the actual moon walk

sandalwood

gumby and pokie

star trek

the twighlight zone

batman and robin

those ugly little trolls with the weird hair

earth shoes

those were the dayz!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, can't make more beaded curtains just yet. Need the hand to heal. But I did finish a couple earlier. Small,for a dollhouse doorway. One is white beads with 2 colorful parrots and the other is a butterfly. I'm going to try posting pix again soon as I get some feeling in my hand. Even start a web page. Got lots more designs drawn for the curtains. bergie

• 6 months later...

Oddly enough I was beading mini curtians today!!! I amm using brown and tan with a bit of black of an asian look. Making some with a design would be great, how are you doing it? I was wondering if a needle point pattern would work? Anyone ever done this?