Store Front

So I bought this

Cwq3VHR.jpg

and two of these

7QSGxyz.jpg

my plan is to bash into something like this. The pic looks a little odd because the end units look quartered here and actually they fully turn the corner but the visual works overall. Should be about 32" overall give or take and maybe 16" deep so a nice shelf depth. Just enough for some sidewalk and a couple of benches or something. I will add a unifying trim to the top to replace what they have, or maybe go with a second story haven't decided yet. Not sure on a finish but maybe stucco and painted wood?

Inside will be one large showroom/store for painting, sculpture, and furniture, all in the neo-classical victorian era

saiiRpn.jpg

• Like 2

I like the idea where you lose the additional doors. If it's all going to be one showroom I think three doors would be confusing to the little customers.🤣 I look forward to seeing how it turns out. I've been trying so hard not to buy these same kits. 

I m liking the second level idea also. Would need to modify the base of each bay window so the area below it was flush not extended. Or carry the bay portion up to the second level and replace the hipped roof that is over the bottom level. Once I get the kits I will play with it

My thinking is to remove the sides and make the back removable (or openable) so inside it would look like one giant showroom

So I am going one level to use the removable clear plexiglass ceiling panels

four kits a bay window kit and corner kit is the left store (furniture) and the same for the right (paintings and sculptures)

I will remove the wall between each pair to make two showrooms about 12 x 24” when done. 

Nothing just particle board. The top has a clear panel in it

i am doing it as two long shelf units about 16 x 32 each so room in front and on the sides for a sidewalk. One end of each will be flush to hit up against the other so when done it will be able to be displayed as one long (64”) unit

this way you won’t see the back anyway 

This is so exciting! I love the presentation of it, plus the niche for statuary, and the idea that it could set right into a bookshelf and just be gently pulled out for a look-see is so clever! Keep us updated please! 

I have been giving this one a lot of thought as I wait for some of the kits to arrive. My plan was to build it on two different shelfs, left and right, as in the photo above. Then I could separate for ease of working and display (two three foot shelves are easier to find wall space for then one six footer) but then I thought why limit myself?

I'm not sure how many of you have seen modular model railroads but essentially people build modules to a set size, like two by four feet, and then connect them into large layouts. I am planning something smaller, maybe  16" x 36", large enough for the buildings and a small sidewalk or patio, but why not a center section as well? As each section will be self contained, and contain two edges that join another section, either in the flat plane or a corner, there really isn't a limit in that I could make an L or even U shaped display

Anyway the first section is in progress will post photos later in the week. My idea for this store is dedicated to victorian classicist or academic art. Edward Poynter, Lawrence Alma-Tadema, John William Waterhouse, Frederic Leighton, John William Godward, maybe a few others. I figure six double easels plus the walls so about twenty paintings in all. I want to leave room for some seating and incidentals. Of course I can frame more paintings and interchange them. 

I'm undecided on the center section which is why I might make two. I would really like a decorative arts store, sculpture, pottery, parian ware, black basalt, maybe some bronzes. 
But a furniture store would be good as well. Although my preference lately is American Empire like the later Phyfe pieces the advantage to the victorian era is everything had at least one revival period. Even Gothic and Renaissance. 

For the other corner I am planning another painting store but this one wil be pre-Raphaelite and the furnishings, displays, easels, and incidentals, will be early arts and crafts in keeping with the aesthetic. John William Waterhouse (again), Evelyn De Morgan,  William Holman Hunt, John Everett Millais, Dante Gabriel Rossetti, William Michael Rossetti, there are a few to chose from

Thoughts? I am open to suggestions at this stage especially

3 hours ago, havanaholly said:

It sounds lovely!  Are you going with any statuary, busts, other sculpture?  Garden art?

one of the center stores will be basically all of the above

1 minute ago, Medieval said:

It would be tiny, but high end galleries have jewelry stores or expensive clothing stores (fur coats) nearby as well.

I was thinking of a silver company also. Coffee and tea servers. Trays, bowls, platters, etc.

• Like 1

First mockup - where the two kits join there is an extra column to the right of the door. Some surgery required here to remove one of the columns 

not sure about the corner door opening - bay window or just a normal one

it is nice the the kits fronts are mostly assembled but I also wish they were separate components would make mixing and matching easier

still not sure on multiple stories. Thoughts? Would look really dramatic bout I would need to make the backs removable

zdtsfkM.jpeg

982typP.jpeg

XZvtqC5.jpeg

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jaxenro said:

still not sure on multiple stories. Thoughts? Would look really dramatic bout I would need to make the backs 

Oh wow! Looking good. Now I want a couple of these even more! 2 stories would be nice but agree about the backs. The primary reason I wanted these was to have a solid rear display wall. I'm not overly fond of roof opening buildings but sometimes they work. I had planned to cover the plexiglass top when not in use and have the area be a garden/ patio eatery. My corner shops were/are going to be jewelry and china with an apothecary in the center. I wasn't planning on expanding any of the kits. 

A regular window would look odd, I think. A bay corner window might be too many bays but would match the others. A flat panel with no window would give a display wall inside. Can't wait to see how this shapes up! 

A lift off...I like it. I did that once about 25 years ago on an old cardboard condominium I made and no longer have. The roof attic section was totally separated from the two story condo, meaning the condo had a flat roof and the attic addition had its own floor. So not the same scenario here with a shared wall.

sort of plugging away on this one but also I need to get some supplies in

I have decided on a modular layout using a left and right "shelf" and a lift off second floor and roof, either a hipped roof or a patio or roof garden type. This is what I am going for.

e1GP3T6.jpeg

Edited by jaxenro

being that the design is modular there is nothing to prevent adding a third foow, or even a fourth, down the road, or even  center section. I could even see extending the sides into a "U" shaped design when it was all put together so it would cover a city block. Afterall I will need some project to keep me busy when I retire

CtTt3A3.jpeg