My Fairfield so Far

I have been working on my Fairfield. Work is slowed by waiting for windows, door and other buildie type things. I have been wallpapering, making wainscoting and building furniture bits while I wait. This kit is a very poor quality overall. So many pieces need trimmed off, sanded and reshaped to fit in place. This is more for someone who has a workshop or work bench and more tools for this kind of re-working. That I do not have. I have a small apartment and a kitchen table.

The first big issue has been the main floor. The wood was warped when the kit came. Once the outer support pieces were in place, the side warp was fixed, then it cup warped. So with a little imagination and a few trips to YouTube to watch cabinet maker videos on warps. I got it fixed. I followed their suggestion and let it upcup itself, then glued braces into place. I set heavy books on it while dried, and Ta-da! I now have flat base floor. Now my center wall sits as it ought and all those adjoining walls nestle up better. I am considering adding another layer to the braces to add more underfloor support.

Today my upper windows came. They don't have any inside trim. Now I get cut interior window trims. Sheesh. 🙄

Fairfield brace.JPG

My base is holding up well. The bracing is preventing the base from re-warping. Yay!

I have not been idle on moving the house along. Here are the right and left sides with the floors and wallpapers in. As I go along, I dry fit the other walls in to make sure I am keeping in the boundaries of all the fitting slots. The last photo is of a garden window I made for the kitchen. I don't care for the way the 'bow' windows look, so in the kitchen, I am making the two window slots into one and putting my garden window there. I know the window needs a bit of tuning, but I am very happy how it came out. This was all done by hand at my trusty kitchen table with no fancy tools.

Right side.JPG

Left Side.JPG

Garden Window.JPG

• Like 1

If you make an album of your build in the Gallery here, there's no limit to how many pictures you can put in it.  There is a limit to how many pictures you can post otherwise.

On 6/7/2024 at 4:36 PM, havanaholly said:

If you make an album of your build in the Gallery here, there's no limit to how many pictures you can put in it.  There is a limit to how many pictures you can post otherwise.

I have taken your advice and started an album. Thank you for the suggestion. It took a bit to figure out how the albums work, but I think I got it!