Website still under construction?

sandilpn

Out of business? Eeek! That's a bummer! I guess getting new parts is out of the question now. I am surprised they didn't diecut the parts (make a pattern) so that they could continue making revenue--that or sell it to someone else before they went under. I noticed the times I had been there, that their prices were kind of high. Makes ya curious is someone didn't buy out their stock? AKA Corona/Greenleaf?

someone didn't buy out their stock? AKA Corona/Greenleaf?

Different construction basis? It required some adjustment to go from building Dura-Craft to Greenleaf/ Corona Concepts, which practically build themselves!

Different construction basis? It required some adjustment to go from building Dura-Craft to Greenleaf/ Corona Concepts, which practically build themselves!

True--I didn't think of it that way. I guess they are put together differently. There isn't really any other company that makes their houses the way that dura-craft did. All the same, I will be sorry to see these houses go--there are some really cute ones. But, I guess supply=demand and Greenleaf/Corona have much easier to build houses.

I really liked their all-wood kits and one of the reasons I built the Grand Ballroom roombox kit last year was to see how I liked working with MDF (I don't). I didn't like the way the MDF looked in their new kits (the Alexandria, etc) I saw assembled in HL, and I agree with Darrell about it. I far prefer wood.

I think once they went to MDF because of higher shipping (Since the MDF was much heavier) they had a harder time trying to get store owners to buy the product and stock them in the stores. I love the Queen Anne they did but I bet it would have sold better if it was done in wood.

There plan was to faze out the milled wood houses because they said it cost more to produce (The milled wood siding pieces for the houses like the Heritage, Farmhouse was too expensive for them to get).

I never thought they would have gone out of business though. I was really sad about them being gone. I had a pending order and they never told us store owners that they closed there business.

We all just called each other and figured it out by ourselves because Dura-Craft never picked up there phones any more :w00t: The one site that was selling the remainder of the dura craft stock website is down too. I don't know what happened to them.

I love the Queen Anne they did but I bet it would have sold better if it was done in wood.

That is weird, because my Queen Anne is made out of wood. It is 3/8" plywood. Maybe they made some that were wood first before they changed to MDF? Then produced the Queen Anne again in the MDF later? I was pretty excited that mine was plywood, I thought that was all it was produced as. Hmmm. Anywhoo, I love the Queen Anne too!

Sandra, the Older "Queen Anne" was wood and it is a totally different kit. The newer one (called the Queen Anne "Alexandria" in the catelog but the kit box just show "Alexandria") that they made 20 years later is different and is made up of MDF :)

Sandra, the Older "Queen Anne" was wood and it is a totally different kit. The newer one (called the Queen Anne "Alexandria" in the catelog but the kit box just show "Alexandria") that they made 20 years later is different and is made up of MDF :)

Ah, now that makes sense...I didn't know that the Alexandria was also had Queen Anne in it's name. Learn something new everyday. (and in my case, often several things)

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I was just checking them out tonight. I would love to get my hands on a Bayberry and do a Craftsman type house. Guess I have to keep watching eBay and hope I can find one at a decent price. There was one this past week, but I was a bit leary about the seller and the proclamation that shipping charges would be given after the auction was over. Red flag for me...it could be $10...and it could be $50...you never can tell.

Yes, I have to admit I am smitten by Dura-Craft kits. Why do you think I dragged Nat with me at night to go pick one up a week ago (bellingham)..Your lil duracraft feelers get all tingling when you find one! LOL

The very first dollhouse I bought (EEK) was over 13 years ago. I ended up putting it in a yard sale so I could move.

Now I have an Ashley (still trying to find the right size wood for the 1st floor), a Columbian, a Lindfield and a Sweetheart!

My Ashley was missing the first floor. I had 2 of the second! I talked it over with DH and he said we can work out something for the first floor, even if we have to glue several strips together and then add additional support.

• 15 years later...

This thread is a bit old, but I just bought a Queen Anne and I guess I'm wondering if it is indeed a wood kit vs mdf? I couldn't find a copyright date on the box nor did it specify either mdf or wood so I'm curious what I will end up with! I think I got it for a steal being new unopened. It does not mention Alexandria so im quite certain it is the older original model. Fingers crossed for plywood 😁

Edited by Scarlybees