12/19/06 Shopping 4 The Holidays

Minis On The Edge

Amazon baby, it's the only way to fly. Better selection, prices, and overall experience than any store. WalMart online is great too, you pay shipping but the prices are slightly lower so it ends up about the same in the long run. :blink::wave:

Over the past couple of years I've gravitated to doing most of my shopping online. Better selection and the packages are delivered right to my door. I don't mind paying the extra for postage or customs duty. The ease of this type of shopping far outweigh the cost in my mind.

There are a few gifts that I do go shopping for. Canada Post has really been getting the packages through quickly over the past few weeks. They've done some major overhauls in their delivery systems, and have also been delivering Saturdays and Sundays. It's great.

-Susanne

I do both on-line and store shopping for Christmas I get about a quarter of the items from my favorite Hobby store. I had gotten the shopping done in November, mostly because I got laid off my job at the begging of November. It is real nice to have it all done, my wife is happy that she does not have to go and do it.

physically hold the item, think about it, and then decide

Me, too. We begin the days after Christmas to shop for the upcoming year's Toys for 'Tots, but also keep our eyes open for original/ unusual gifts for family & close friends.

Our holiday shopping is almost always done by Thanksgiving (please don't hit me, I'm an old lady wearing glasses, for pity's sake).

You all make me feel guilty. On my husband's side, we draw names. That gives me 2 gifts to buy. I did not buy either one - my daughter picked up one and the other I told the person to buy what they wanted, wrap it and sign my name (it was a specific item from a store near them and not me) For my family, I buy a gift for my parents. Done. And that's it. I don't exchange with brothers and sisters. All the nieces and nephews are grown up (I stop giving them gifts when they turn 16) I give my credit card to the girls and say go buy yourself something (although I did build an oak staircase for one last year in her new - real size - house) DH and I don't exchange. He bought himself a new gun he had been lusting over and I went on a Hobby Lobby shopping spree. I love the holidays now. I used to buy 30 gifts or more. We all agreed to stop.

Most years I do the majority of my shopping online. Love the ease of selecting my items while sitting at my computer sipping my morning coffee - and then having them delivered right to my door - no fighting traffic, no looking for a parking spot or standing in long checkout lines :blink:

I am prone to impulse buying while in stores though - if I see something that *has somebody's name written all over it*

I have to admit I did most of mine online this year. I've been having problems with my energy levels lately and being able to shop online, have them gift wrapped and direct-shipped made it easier on my body. I'll do better next year, but this year, I took the easy way out. On the bright side, there's so much choice in shopping online that I was still satisfied that everyone got something "just right".

Deb

Did you do the Bulk of your shopping for the Holidays at a physical store or did you do most of your shopping online?

:blink:

I haven't bought anything online this year. Since most of the gifts I buy are for grandkids it's easier to get the right size/color/style etc, in person.

Kathy

I would say about 50/50.

There are some things that I refuse to buy online like clothing, but there is lots of things to choose from that you just cant find in your area stores that you can buy online.

I usually do some of both, but this year the majority was in stores. I'm also one of those who is usually done by Thanksgiving since I hate the holiday crunch. This year we cut back in my family on giving gifts and with the wedding many of the gifts I am giving are pictures from the wedding.

Half and Half....I am finished shopping but haven't done any wrapping yet. Been too busy finishing the Orchid, which is a gift for my sister. Just finished up the roof yesterday, still have to stain it.

Amazon baby, it's the only way to fly. Better selection, prices, and overall experience than any store. WalMart online is great too, you pay shipping but the prices are slightly lower so it ends up about the same in the long run. :lol: :ohyeah:

Last year I did most of my shopping at Amazon and it was a pleaure having it delivered to my door. The prices on Friday sales and sometimes Monday are hard to beat. Toys sometimes have free delivery on top of really good sale prices. Houseware items sometimes can be combined to a $125. order that has a code to take off an additional $25. from the order. Plus free shipping as an option if the item was ordered from Amazon and not one of their outside sources. The coin star machines have an e-certificate that can be used for Amazon. That way you can use the machines, get the certicate, and not be charged for counting the coins. Plus I use the certicates for Christmas gifts. Go Amazon!!!!

I love my online shopping! I agree with whomever said that Amazon is the way to go. They have excellent customer service!! Also, Toys 'R' Us is good too. I wish we could order from Walmart online here in Canada!! I'll be looking out for that one. :lol: