Paintings

jaxenro

Two by Albert Joseph Moore that are for my wall of English Academic Classicist painters. I have about 20 left to frame and I will be done I just haven't worked up the enthusieum to cut out 20 frames

LpWoT55.jpg

4sRpA6r.jpg

Edited by jaxenro
  • Like 1

I get sidetracked too many hobbies too many hours at my day job. I have been doing 50+ hours a week working plus I have two sideline businesses (I represent a knife maker from Pakistan and sell collectible auto’s, mostly late 1970’s luxury cars)

In addition my wife’s Parkinson’s is worse which takes a lot of my time, and I am doing a 1/6 speed boat kit from model shipways. I still have some pedestals cut out I need to finish and some busts and statues picked out for them ready to have cast. 

I have also been adding to my collection of Morgan dollars lately, all pre 1900, as part of a period style “gamblers” kit I am doing, using a dated 1900 cutlery box (I think as the lining was missing but it looks like carving set size and the inset brass plaque is dated Feb 27 , 1900), pre 1900 cards, a dagger from Sheffield England dated 1887-1896, etc. Just finding and dating the pieces takes time

I also built a website

https://www.huntsmanknivesandaxes.com/

Edited by jaxenro

Roughly equal parts matte medium, and gloss varnish with some added gloss medium

I want it stiff enough to show texture and not too glossy

it needs to dry a day or more between coats two or three is better to let the medium lose it's white color and go completely clear

I just stipple it in in a dabbing motion three thin coats as opposed to 1 heavy one

The texture is a little heavy for scale but your eye and imagination does the rest. You expect a painting to show texture and brush strokes and you translate the texture you see into what you expect even if it isn't scale

I glue the picture to a linen card back and pin it to a board to hold it flat until it dries. They are surprisingly robust afterwards

Edited by jaxenro

15 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

I used to use clear nail polish to texture prints for mini paintings, letting it dry tacky and pouncing it with the brush, but Joel's method looks more to scale.

plus it cleans up with water :)

2 hours ago, BlueRidgePaws said:

The paintings look great! Can you share your Liquitex mix, or is it a secret family recipe? 😀

if you want a couple, unframed, drop me your address and I will mail them. Then you can see if you like the effect

Teresa, please use our internal messaging to share your contact info with Joel.  Hover your cursor over his username and the drop-down box will show an envelope icon you click on to get a message box.

3 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Teresa, please use our internal messaging to share your contact info with Joel.  Hover your cursor over his username and the drop-down box will show an envelope icon you click on to get a message box.

Thanks - I should have specified use PM and not post an address. I have exchanged items with a few people here but you really don't want to be putting your address out for any person to see