IM BRAND NEW.

dan math

Almost 2. They won't be playing with the house for a good year. My daughter is going to pick out all the colors and so on. She doesn't know about all this. The whole family won't know until Xmas Eve. I have some other responses from people. I don't know if I'm replying the right way. Maybe a bit of help? Merry Christmas and Thank You.

19 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Welcome to the little family, Dan.  The members who have built/ are building the Beacon Hill will be happy to help you.  (BTW, using all capital letters is considered shouting)

Thank You for the "Shout Out". LOL Merry Christmas....

Merry Christmas back atcha.  You might want to take a peek inside the box ahead of time; surprising everybody with a box of plywood sheets can intimidate people.  You'll want to gather your utility knife, new blades, masking or painters' tape, carpenter's wood glue (NOT hot-melt glue, if it's mentioned in the instructions), sandpaper/ glass paper, sanding block and cheap emery boards so you'll be ready to start building.  I got into this hobby helping my hubs build our eldest granddaughter her first dollhouse.

17 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Merry Christmas back atcha.  You might want to take a peek inside the box ahead of time; surprising everybody with a box of plywood sheets can intimidate people.  You'll want to gather your utility knife, new blades, masking or painters' tape, carpenter's wood glue (NOT hot-melt glue, if it's mentioned in the instructions), sandpaper/ glass paper, sanding block and cheap emery boards so you'll be ready to start building.  I got into this hobby helping my hubs build our eldest granddaughter her first dollhouse.

I dont know what I'm doing. I just want to text u guys and reply. I can't tell if I should click Quote. Report, share. Then I scroll down a bit and there is an open area that has all text stuff. Bold, text type, letter type. It's driving me nuts. I just want to be respectful in a conversation. Maybe it's because I'm on my phone. I need to use my computer don't I?. If I don't answer back it's because we r getting ready for Xmas. We live in Colorado. Is this forum out of Canada? I think u helped me yesterday in not to shout with caps on. Lol Thank u. I would've never known. Thank u for any help. Happy Holidays.

On 12/21/2022 at 10:58 PM, dan math said:

IVE PURCHASED THE BEACON HILL DOLLHOUSE AS A XMAS PRESENT FOR MY GRANDTWINS. THEY WILL OPEN THE BOX THIS SATURDAY. I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT HOW TO NAVIGATE THIS SITE/FORUM. I'M DAN. MERRY CHRISTMAS. OH, I'M GOING TO BE BEGGING FOR HELP.

Hi Dan! There is a lot of great advice and help on this site. You can also find help on various facebook k groups and YouTube tutorials. The beacon hill is a grand dollhouse - fit for grand twins! Welcome to the mini tribe!

Welcome to the forum, Dan. This is the BEST place for all kinds of questions. You can get a lot of ideas from the gallery on this site as well as look for youtube videos and things on pinterest. Maybe once your gift has been unveiled you can have brainstorming parties with the twins' parents (they may be more tech saavy). Anyway, you are about to embark on a fabulous journey! 

12 hours ago, dan math said:

I dont know what I'm doing. I just want to text u guys and reply. I can't tell if I should click Quote. Report, share. Then I scroll down a bit and there is an open area that has all text stuff. Bold, text type, letter type. It's driving me nuts. I just want to be respectful in a conversation. Maybe it's because I'm on my phone. I need to use my computer don't I?. If I don't answer back it's because we r getting ready for Xmas. We live in Colorado. Is this forum out of Canada? I think u helped me yesterday in not to shout with caps on. Lol Thank u. I would've never known. Thank u for any help. Happy Holidays.

Merry Christmas Dan! When I first started I didn't have a clue what to do either lol! Yes a computer is probably easier but I do mine on my phone and it is a struggle sometimes especially uploading pictures to the gallery.

Now about posting, it looks to me like you're getting the hang of it. Just start typing/dictating in the empty text box don't worry about all that bold and italics and whatever unless you want to capitalize a certain word but yes it is shouting lol. The other little icons in that same line work just like they do on a computer for adding links and emojis and such. The quote button which you have found already puts the person's post that you want to address in the box with your reply if there's more than one response. You don't have to always use it. Like I said it looks like you're doing just fine. 

• 1 month later...

Thank You so much for such a nice reply. I don't even know if I'm still doing this right. Am I texting to Furmama?. I hope so because u r helping me and with kindness.  I'm working on the Beacon Hill as we speak. Out of nowhere and on my TV is Bentley House Minis. Kinda Kreepy. I was just trying to watch my FOOTBALL recordings. Ok... I've stained the foundation and am getting ready to airbrush the top coat. But here is what's killing me...I need to wire this damn thing before I can continue. I don't know if you're online.

• Like 1

Dan, I'm coming late to this thread, but that won't stop me from offering some advice. :) 

Do you really want to electrify a dollhouse that will be played with by toddlers? They (or their young friends) will pretty much destroy any fine details and will want to move things around. You won't be happy when one of them presents you with a lamp that was ripped out and complains that it doesn't light up anymore. The simpler the better for young children.

Simple refers to the construction as well. Reinforce corners with staples and strip wood. The BH has a flat roof that will encourage its use as a seat or a mountain to conquer. Consider leaving out the plastic window "panes" and doors so little hands can reach through the openings. Also, forget decorating with fine wallpaper or details like wainscoting, etc. A coat of semi-gloss paint that can be scrubbed to remove crayon marks and stripped of stickers that the kids will use to decorate is a practical plan. And forget delicate furni$hings; Dollar Store items will work just fine. The toddlers will use their imagination when playing. Don't be surprised to find My Little Pony in the bathroom or a toilet in the dining room.

When the twins get older the house can be electrified and refurbished to add the details that adults find charming. For now, I recommend keeping it simple.

• Like 1

Hi Dan, glad to have helped. I don't electrify any of my houses. Maybe one day... Anyway Kathie is right for small children I wouldn't bother with electric or alot of other things. Take a deep breath and don't get overwhelmed. Little ones imaginations will ignore alot of the imperfections us adults take notice of. 

• 2 months later...
On 1/27/2023 at 7:02 PM, havanaholly said:

Hey, Dan, how goes the build?

It has sucked. I fell on the foundation and basically broke it in two. Greenleaf Customer service is a joke. I tried for 5 days to get a hold of them...Call them...U won't get a human...U get transferred to leave a message...MAILBOX FULL. That's what u get....I finally got thru...I just got my new foundation.,... NOT CHEAP..OH WELL. I WON'T QUIT.

3 hours ago, dan math said:

It has sucked. I fell on the foundation and basically broke it in two. Greenleaf Customer service is a joke. I tried for 5 days to get a hold of them...Call them...U won't get a human...U get transferred to leave a message...MAILBOX FULL. That's what u get....I finally got thru...I just got my new foundation.,... NOT CHEAP..OH WELL. I WON'T QUIT.

On 12/24/2022 at 4:53 AM, havanaholly said:

Dan, Greenleaf is located in upstate New York

Hey there....I still can't figure out how to cruise this forum. I ruined my Beacon Hill Dollhouse foundation. If that wasn't bad enough, I tried day after day after day to get a hold of Greenleaf. Not only couldn't I get a real person, I was sent to a mailbox to leave a message and 100% of the time heard this, MAILBOX IS FULL. Well, I finally got my new foundation...I pray this re-start goes well. Thank you for your help. I will try to be a better member.

For future reference, if you trip and fall over a large kit piece like the foundation/ first floor. invest in a piece of 1/8" or 3/16" luan plywood, put your busted piece pn top, carefully mashing it flat and sqezzing any separated parts back together, trace around it and cut yourself a new one.

• Like 1

I wish I would have thought about that. Thank you for responding to me.

20 hours ago, havanaholly said:

For future reference, if you trip and fall over a large kit piece like the foundation/ first floor. invest in a piece of 1/8" or 3/16" luan plywood, put your busted piece pn top, carefully mashing it flat and sqezzing any separated parts back together, trace around it and cut yourself a new one.

41 minutes ago, dan math said:

I wish I would have thought about that. Thank you for responding to me.

It will save you getting upset with a company that works as hard & fast as it can to produce its product with the staff limitations Covid has smacked most businesses with.