Downsizing Decisions

KathieB

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

You found a real treasure when you met NJ!

I met NJ when Hurricane Katrina blew us from New Orleans to central Missouri. She was definitely a silver lining in a very dark cloud. We are definitely sisters from another mother. :) 

• Like 1

Sounds great Kathie. We have a wood workshop at our local 55+ center. I do all my cutting and sanding,plaining and routing and... there now. The tools are maintained and everything is exactly where it should be so even with the short drive I'm done in half the time I would be at home since my husband doesn't seem able to put anything back where he finds it. Made some cash selling my tools on CL too. 

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

Kathie!

Yes? It's nervous time. No offers on house, not even unreasonable ones. Sale of house is key to this whole transition. Busy packing and sorting out what will go with me and what will go to an online auction. Feeling overwhelmed. Christmas? Is it that time already?

I'm guessing birds will find the seeds lying on the ground before they have time to sprout. :) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2022 at 7:15 PM, aggiemae said:

My realtor said that sales really drop off between Thanksgiving and Christmas, however everyone who is looking is a serious buyer. I wish you all the best with your move.

On 12/12/2022 at 6:15 AM, KathieB said:

Music to my ears. :) :note:  

The music turned into the Hallelujah Chorus! I signed a contract for a full price offer this morning. Of course, there is still the inspection and appraisal to go through, but I am keeping the faith! 

Now I'm off to celebrate my great niece's 7th birthday this afternoon and then to my sister's tomorrow, Christmas Day. Happy holidays to all. I hope y'all are as blessed as I am. 🤗

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

The house sale went through. Closing is Friday, Feb 3. I'll hit the road on Saturday and be in Naperville to close on the apartment on Monday. Moving van to arrive Tuesday or Wednesday. Norma Jeane will arrive on Saturday to help with the settling in. By selling off some of the houses, I've saved her the drive from Missouri to Atlanta to Chicago. 

The online auction is over, with lucky buyers picking up their items yesterday. It was an adventure; one I would not hesitate to repeat if necessary. An auction is a crap shoot, but all in all, I did better than I expected. There was a sideboard with a broken leg that I debated whether or not to include. It sold for $5, but what is interesting is that 3 other buyers sought me out to indicate an interest in buying it if the buyer did not show up. Go figure!

Some items that I thought would not sell went for good prices. The dollhouses did not. I was able to chat with the buyers and am confident each one has found a good home, so parting was not as painful as I thought it might be. I'm thinking of them as donations that are bringing joy to new owners.  One person took the Halloween Hangout ($40), Marie Laveau's Cottage ($14.55), and the Glencroft ($7). Individuals bought the White Orchid ($22), the Houseboat ($7.31), and the Cheltenham kit ($35). Something to keep in mind when someone asks the "what is it worth" question as happens here from time to time. 

More packing and other logistical hoops to jump through before the move is complete, but Tracy's "hard by the yard, a cinch by the inch" mantra is getting me through. :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Medieval said:

a plethora of new friends!

I will have one from the get-go. I will be paired with a resident who will show me the ropes. The staff have come to know me and promise it will be someone compatible to help me transition smoothly. Looking forward to making the first new friend.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hard to believe that a short 3 months ago this was not a part of my life plan, but on Monday I will be moving into my new retirement community home. Tomorrow (Friday) is the closing on the Georgia house. On Saturday morning I will begin the 2-day drive. My niece helped me pack the car (a Honda CRV) with the Beacon Hill, Pierce, Pottery Shop, and Quilt Shop as well as a toolbox, an assortment of house plants, a couple of bags of "stuff", a small suitcase, and laptop. It took a little effort. The suitcase ended up belted into the passenger seat, but that makes it easy to take out at the motel. 

An unexpected consequence: The scale has been packed for weeks, so I can't tell for sure, but I think that with all this activity I have dropped a few pounds. My jeans tend to slip down when I put anything in the pockets. :D 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

What Debora said.  I'm going to worry about you out on those wintry roads until you're safely tucked into your new home.

Weather should not be a problem. High today (Friday) in Naperville is 8. By the time I get there on Monday, the high will be 45. No precipitation in the forecast.

• Like 1

Well living in Hiram, I'm assuming you have good all-weather tires.  Later this month we'll close on the youngest son's new place and then move all his stuff out of our house and my workshop, and do a bit of downsizing whilst we're at it.

Settling in. The mover was delayed a day, which gave me more time to get used to this new community. I was introduced at a residents' meeting and am now being greeted in the hall and dining room by residents who say, "You're the new one!" I feel like fresh meat, but in a good way. Everyone is warmly welcoming. :) 

Norma Jeane has been incredibly helpful opening boxes. I gave her the assignment to put the pottery and other tchotchkes on the shelves. I'm going to rearrange it all when she leaves, but for now it's fine. As of this morning (Saturday), I'd guess that 85% of the boxes have been opened, flattened, and removed from the apartment. When all are opened and contents stowed, we can start the process of deciding where wall art will hang. Right now, it is leaning against most vertical surfaces. This activity could get interesting. She is grouping everything by color and making suggestions that reflect her analytical approach to placement. (She was a math teacher.)  I have a far more organic approach to making up groupings.    :hmm: 

• Like 1