How to install screen door

coco83

I would like some advice  in figuring out how to install a screen door with a front door.

Do you install and hinge the front door normally and then hinge the screen door with another set of trim on top?  I am having trouble picturing how this would work without looking the profile of the front door looks too thick.

Any advice or suggestions would be welcome. Thx as always to the problem solvers in this community.

This is a good question, and I don't know the answer! The only time I've used one of those screen doors was on a screened-in porch and I hinged it like a regular door. In this case it's not on top of another door so it's a different situation from yours. I blogged about it here: https://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=16053

I have another screen door in my stash, so I'll take a look and think about how I would tackle installing it over a regular door.

• Like 1

The component doors are pin-hinged (at least the ones I have used), which made my start making my own pin-hinged doors, and the trick to that is to have a casing wide enough to accommodate both doors, which means you will need to pad the wall (unless the plywood is already thick enough) you're going to install the entry-+-screen door.  Since this is an exterior door it would be a simple matter (she says).