Glossy paint recommendations?

IndyCindy

Can anyone recommend a super glossy paint that works well for minis? I've completed constructing a 12th scale piano, and after a staining nightmare (another story for another day), I think the only way to save it is to paint it with a high gloss black finish.  Glossy paints are uncharted territory for me. Thanks in advance for suggestions and recommendations! 

Cyndy, a friend and former member here saw your post and sent this to me:

Please don’t let her use black gloss paint…….it will look horrid!
I built a grand from a kit (Really nice kit but a fiddle!) I painted it in a black acrylic and then worked at it with Black wax shoe polish (Remember the stuff in small round tins?)
I used the same technique that every British soldier uses to shine (Bull) the toecaps of his boots to give a 'parade ground’ mirror finish. Start by working the polish in with your finger inside a duster and polish, spit, polish, spit…..working that polish in a circular motion into the wood allow in to dry some in between.
If at the end of a couple of days if she can’t see her face in it the ‘Play it again Sam’!
It’s also kind to the wood.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Cyndy, a friend and former member here saw your post and sent this to me:

Please don’t let her use black gloss paint…….it will look horrid!
I built a grand from a kit (Really nice kit but a fiddle!) I painted it in a black acrylic and then worked at it with Black wax shoe polish (Remember the stuff in small round tins?)
I used the same technique that every British soldier uses to shine (Bull) the toecaps of his boots to give a 'parade ground’ mirror finish. Start by working the polish in with your finger inside a duster and polish, spit, polish, spit…..working that polish in a circular motion into the wood allow in to dry some in between.
If at the end of a couple of days if she can’t see her face in it the ‘Play it again Sam’!
It’s also kind to the wood.

Hi KathieB! Thanks to you and your friend - I don't want it to look horrid! I do have questions though. . . black wax shoe polish . . .does it matter that the wood is already stained? Or does that not matter once it's painted with black acrylic? Also, do I need to seal/varnish after the shoe polish is applied and buffed to a shine? Will the polish rub off if I don't seal it in some way? I'm excited to try this technique with the black shoe polish! Love learning new things from this community. Thank you! Thank you! :)

Edited by IndyCindy

You may want to use a very fine sandpaper on the stain to remove any kind of slick seal it may have formed. That will give it some "tooth" for the acrylic paint to take a good grip. The stain should not affect the wax polish, as it will ride on top of the paint.

More details --

The wax will harden and build up in layers (Which will also make for a smooth surface) The action of rubbing in a circular motion will ultimately create an ever more even and smooth surface and the ‘buffing’ should leave an increasingly smooth and glossy surface. On anything else ‘miniature’ I avoid reflective surfaces like the plague!

Cindy might try taking a piece of scrap, painting it with black acrylic and doing the waxing as a test piece! The only reason for the acrylic is to establish the colour in the first place.
  • Like 1