Isn't This Beautiful

jaxenro

Something I am working on I usually don't apply oil until I am ready for the final finish but I need to drill some parts and I am hoping a few coats of oil will help keep the wood from chipping

Pyinma burl it is such a beautiful wood. Loses a little focus near the bottom of the pic in person the grain is just as sharp top to bottom. One of the other sides has a beautiful tiger stripe pattern. I love working with wood like this you put a little oil on it and the grain just pops out. 

WADDLv0.jpg

Edited by jaxenro
  • Like 5

One of my usual rough sketches but this is what I am working towards. The round panel inset near the top is a sterling silver copy of "Autumn" by Bertel Thorvaldsen and the globe at the top is a shell pearl (a "pearl" cut from natural shell) I am making a matched pair. Still some details to work out and materials I am waiting on delivery but it is progressing

bJGurzx.jpg

• Like 2

made this little one to test a new sprayed shellac finish over the oil (not applied yet) birdseye maple and ebony banding but look at the two sides of the same wood (these are solid not veneer) one with burl and the other tiger stripe just turning the pedestal 90 degrees changes the look

(I need some more busts poor Antony is getting a workout)

cTtdygn.jpggm53ZJP.jpg

Edited by jaxenro
  • Like 3

The two new ones on the left are Pyinma burl and Ebony the others I posted before. Each now has three coats of clear lacquer on them over the oil. Once they dry for a few weeks I will rub them out and give a light coat of wax

Really just testing woods and finishes

6jMfz4J.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

top parts of a pair of pedestals i am making. Burl, ebony, and pearl not thrilled with the join for the pearls i used MOP beads as a spacer on the ebony 

the wood has three coats of gloss lacquer on it must be seen the picture doesnt do it justice

the base will be burl and ebony

kdIhlZM.jpg

• Like 2

not done but getting there I removed the pearl am going to try the silver collar idea

still need the lacquer after the oil soaks in 

i found sand to 600 grit, three good coats of spray lacquer, let it dry a few days, then oil sand (wet or dry paper with linseed oil on it) at 2000 grit and polish with a soft cloth gives a really smooth finish. 

87iQGnM.jpg