Veneer Tip

jaxenro

So I am making a matched pair of neoclassical pedestals using some really nice burl walnut I picked up but it is really brittle stuff. Even using a new blade it is almost impossible to keep it from chipping out as I cut it. One trick I used in the past was to glue the veneer on and then flood it with linseed oil to soften it and then trim it to shape but in this case I am layering the veneer so I can't use the oil until all the glueing is done as it will repel the glue

Each pedestal consists of 18 separate pieces of venner so there is a lot of cutting. On some of the smaller trim pieces I have found tht soaking in water softens it enough that I can cut to slightly oversize without chipping then let it dry and glue. The water softens the veneer for cutting but doesn't interfere with gluing

veneer - it even looks fragile in the pic

UbJfYE0.png

sort of what i am making

vnm5U7N.png

casting these two in sterling silver to inset into the wood - Adult or Autumn by Thorvaldsen - one a series of the four seasons if I like it will do another pair with all four seasons one per side

sNoIYcb.jpg

• Like 2

really hard to photo as the phone camera doesn't focus on the bust correctly but this is one of the new ones I am working on

lost wax cast in sterling silver 

Marc Antony 1.5" overall height shown on the pedestal I am making for them

I have some others in the pipeline including desk (0.75" or scale 9") size

g81UtJF.png

RrDTDSt.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

so under all that yarn is actually some of that walnut veneer wrapped around a 3/4" round dowel. Soaked overnight in ammonia it becomes really pliable ammonia works better than plain water for softening wood

yes am making a pair of cylindrical pedestals with walnut burl base and something else I have yet to decide

1f9cUxP.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/2/2022 at 2:37 PM, jaxenro said:

I was going for a vase shape looks like a bowling pin

Turn it the other way and it looks like a wine glass. Either way I think you did an awesome job.  Looks like a finished piece of art to me not a test piece. 😊