First Dollhouse!

Hello!

I'm from the Midwest and am so excited to start building my first Dollhouse (the Harrison).

As a kid I had a veritable subdivision from dollhouses I'd gotten from garage sale or Christmas lists.

I've little idea what I'm doing, I've read the directions no less than 3 times😅, but am so excited to start!

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum! This is a good place to be. I went through a lot of threads and albums here before I started my first house. I hope you enjoy your journey and remember there is almost always someone here to answer you question, but it won't happen immediately. When that happens to me, I work on something else till I hear back.

• Like 1

Welcome to the little family.  I have built a kit or two (or more than two) and after I've read over the instructions at least once I assemble my utility knife and some new blades, put fresh sandpaper on my sanding block and grab a few cheap emery boards and a roll or two of blue painter's tape and a soft lead pencil or a Sharpie marker and the schematics sheets, and read through the instructions again; this time I begin with plywood sheet #1 and trace over the numeral 1 with the pencil/ Sharpie and identify the parts on the sheet with the parts listed in the instructions.  I lay the box lid beside the box bottom and stack the plywood sheets in numerical order as I go.  Meanwhile I also place the clear acetate sheet of window and door inserts between the pages of the Warm-Up sheet and set them aside on my work bench where I won't forget about them but they won't get lost or damaged.

Once  I and the kit are in agreement I read the instructions again and begin to follow the instructions, sanding/ shaving tabs & slots as I go for a more perfect fit and using the tape to hold things together; no glue at this point, I'm "dry fitting" the house.  Once I have the shell mostly together I let it sit in dry fit to get acquainted with it.  Early on I discovered that most of the furniture, etc I had bought ahead of time didn't fit like I thought it would/ should, so now I make most of the furniture and fixtures.  It's a lot more fun.  I do a LOT of prep work, including masking off anywhere I want to glue together.  Once that's done I prime wherever I want to paint or paper and stain whatever I want to stain (Paint will cover stain, but stain does NOT look good over paint).  If your instructions say to use hot-melt glue, DON'T; a good carpenter's wood glue like Titebond will hold bare wood to bare wood together just fine.  Do not sweat mistakes, I have taken pieces apart and glued them back together until I was ready to throw the kit away; simply walk away and enjoy a bit of dark chocolate or an adult beverage or a nap.  Some of my best bashes came from "fixing" oopsies.

Have fun.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Medieval said:

Welcome to the forum! This is a good place to be. I went through a lot of threads and albums here before I started my first house. I hope you enjoy your journey and remember there is almost always someone here to answer you question, but it won't happen immediately. When that happens to me, I work on something else till I hear back.

Thank you! I poked around a bit last night reading through various topics before I braved making an account this morning. You all seem so very nice and a wealth of knowledge!

17 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Welcome to the little family.  I have built a kit or two (or more than two) and after I've read over the instructions at least once I assemble my utility knife and some new blades, put fresh sandpaper on my sanding block and grab a few cheap emery boards and a roll or two of blue painter's tape and a soft lead pencil or a Sharpie marker and the schematics sheets, and read through the instructions again; this time I begin with plywood sheet #1 and trace over the numeral 1 with the pencil/ Sharpie and identify the parts on the sheet with the parts listed in the instructions.  I lay the box lid beside the box bottom and stack the plywood sheets in numerical order as I go.  Meanwhile I also place the clear acetate sheet of window and door inserts between the pages of the Warm-Up sheet and set them aside on my work bench where I won't forget about them but they won't get lost or damaged.

Once  I and the kit are in agreement I read the instructions again and begin to follow the instructions, sanding/ shaving tabs & slots as I go for a more perfect fit and using the tape to hold things together; no glue at this point, I'm "dry fitting" the house.  Once I have the shell mostly together I let it sit in dry fit to get acquainted with it.  Early on I discovered that most of the furniture, etc I had bought ahead of time didn't fit like I thought it would/ should, so now I make most of the furniture and fixtures.  It's a lot more fun.  I do a LOT of prep work, including masking off anywhere I want to glue together.  Once that's done I prime wherever I want to paint or paper and stain whatever I want to stain (Paint will cover stain, but stain does NOT look good over paint).  If your instructions say to use hot-melt glue, DON'T; a good carpenter's wood glue like Titebond will hold bare wood to bare wood together just fine.  Do not sweat mistakes, I have taken pieces apart and glued them back together until I was ready to throw the kit away; simply walk away and enjoy a bit of dark chocolate or an adult beverage or a nap.  Some of my best bashes came from "fixing" oopsies.

Have fun.

Thank you!

And that already answers a question for me! The directions made it sound like I should prime nearly everything but that made me wonder how it would actually fit together then. But dry fitting it all together so I have an idea seems a much better approach. And I am so excited to try my hand at making furniture! And knowing that I can undo and redo is comforting.

Lol, an adult beverage and giving the model the side eye sounds good to me.

Thank you so much!

• Like 1

You're very welcome.  Don't be surprised or question your sanity when the kit begins to speak to you, BTW.  I didn't realize it until I tried to build a Glencroft to be Jane Marplies' cottage and it wanted to become a pub.  That's the last time I've tried to argue with a kit; if you look in the Gallery or the Team Glencroft building blog you will see that it is a pub.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FurMama said:

Welcome to the forum! Enjoy the process and moreminis.blogspot.com has great pics if you get stuck in the instructions. 

Thank you! Oh that site looks so wonderful and to have the pictures I need to follow along! Thank you again!

On 7/24/2022 at 1:13 AM, chatoiement said:

Welcome!

I'm a dollhouse newbie, but there is a lot of wisdom on this forum. 😊

The Harrison is lovely! Looking forward to hearing/seeing your progress.

Hello fellow newbie!

And yes! There is so much wonderful wisdom on this forum I am very grateful!

And thank you! I look forward to seeing your builds as well!

On 7/22/2022 at 5:48 AM, ProcessPending said:

Thank you! I poked around a bit last night reading through various topics before I braved making an account this morning. You all seem so very nice and a wealth of knowledge!

People here are SO nice and helpful and full of wisdom! Ask away and enjoy your first build welcome to the habit! I mean, welcome to the hobby! 🤣

• Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 5:51 AM, ProcessPending said:

Lol, an adult beverage and giving the model the side eye sounds good to me.

Thank you so much!

I work on my houses after my 3 and 6 year-olds and 43 year-old (Mr J-Sea!) are asleep. Plenty of wine and true crime trash tv- not always perfect but definitely fun and the house definitely ‘speaks’ to you after a bit! 

• Like 1

Maybe I'm showing my age, but how the HELL do you have energy left at the end of the day with a 3 and 6 year old home?! Especially as you seem to get a tremendous amount done even for a childless person. Lol amazing!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2022 at 8:05 PM, Medieval said:

Maybe I'm showing my age, but how the HELL do you have energy left at the end of the day with a 3 and 6 year old home?! Especially as you seem to get a tremendous amount done even for a childless person. Lol amazing!

Omg lady. My age s no joking matter and the grey hairs (army?) are winning the war. It’s just the only time I get that’s my own and truly just peaceful and fun and all for me ❤️😜

• Like 1