Hi from Belgium!

hubfd

On 6/6/2022 at 1:26 PM, KathieB said:

I tried to do a copper roof for my Beacon Hill. I am not happy with the way it turned out and am seriously thinking about sanding it down and painting it black to match the shingled parts of the roof. I blogged the process -- click here. I hope you have better luck finding a good method.

I'm thinking of painting it first in dark an green tones and then add gilding was. I want to do a dark and subtle copper look. Like this picture I found. 

I see you changed the stairs of your beacon hill on the first floor. How did you do the stairs on the ground floor? Screenshot_20220606-140858_3.thumb.jpg.d3eec4a31100a146c645046206c3b093.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hubfd said:

How did you do the stairs on the ground floor? 

I like the effect in the photo ... very elegant.

I altered the ground floor stairs to make them removable.  You can see my concept by clicking here. The balusters and handrail between the ground floor landing and the first floor will be added after everything else is in place. The angle is going to make it tricky, but I think I can make it work. My justification for making the staircase removable was the thought that I might want to change out the wallpaper on that wall. Considering how long it is taking me to complete the first build, I can't imagine living long enough to consider renovation, but I have enjoyed the challenge. :D 

6 minutes ago, KathieB said:

I like the effect in the photo ... very elegant.

I altered the ground floor stairs to make them removable.  You can see my concept by clicking here. The balusters and handrail between the ground floor landing and the first floor will be added after everything else is in place. The angle is going to make it tricky, but I think I can make it work. My justification for making the staircase removable was the thought that I might want to change out the wallpaper on that wall. Considering how long it is taking me to complete the first build, I can't imagine living long enough to consider renovation, but I have enjoyed the challenge. :D 

Haha I did the same with my 'real' house. I made sure I can renovate everything easy when I want to... But now that everything is finally ready, i will never do it again I think. 😂

You used the original stairs, but changed the balusters and handrail, right? I wish I could do that too, but my staircase is already fully assembled and I can't change it anymore. So I think I have to remove the staircase entirely and put a different staircase. But then I have to replace the door... 

3 hours ago, hubfd said:

You used the original stairs, but changed the balusters and handrail, right? I wish I could do that too, but my staircase is already fully assembled and I can't change it anymore. So I think I have to remove the staircase entirely and put a different staircase. But then I have to replace the door... 

Yes, that's what I did. Can you remove the staircase without too much damage and then modify it or will you have to start from scratch?

19 hours ago, KathieB said:

Yes, that's what I did. Can you remove the staircase without too much damage and then modify it or will you have to start from scratch?

I managed to remove the stairs from the first floor and with a lot of work I managed also to remove the original piece with balusters 🥳. I guess the ground floor will be much more difficult... But I've started now, so there is no way back 😀

On 6/6/2022 at 1:09 AM, hubfd said:

Oh I bought copper gilding wax for my roof too! I was also thinking about doing an aged copper look 😂. Haha I have never seen a Beacon hill with a copper roof, so it will be an experiment. Have you ever seen one? Will you do shiny copper or old (green)? 

That is so funny!! 😂 I have seen one! It was on a dollhouse Facebook group. If you have Facebook,  I'd reccomend joining a group. Its full of inspiration! I'm planning on making it look look nice and old. I've used guilding wax before, but I hadn't thought about using it on a dollhouse! How about you? Are you thinking shiny or old? 😊

On 6/6/2022 at 4:26 AM, KathieB said:

I tried to do a copper roof for my Beacon Hill. I am not happy with the way it turned out and am seriously thinking about sanding it down and painting it black to match the shingled parts of the roof. I blogged the process -- click here. I hope you have better luck finding a good method.

Oh! Thank you for sharing your blog. I'll check it out.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2022 at 9:37 PM, chatoiement said:

That is so funny!! 😂 I have seen one! It was on a dollhouse Facebook group. If you have Facebook,  I'd reccomend joining a group. Its full of inspiration! I'm planning on making it look look nice and old. I've used guilding wax before, but I hadn't thought about using it on a dollhouse! How about you? Are you thinking shiny or old? 😊

I want to do an aged look, Yesterday i made finials also in an aged copper look. I will post a picture in my gallery :D

• Like 1

On 6/28/2022 at 7:56 AM, chatoiement said:

Yay! I just need to start working so I can catch up 😅 Excited to see your finials! 😊

Yes you should really start! It is so much fun and sooo addicting!! 😁

• Like 1