Roofing ideas for 1/6 playscale dollhouse!

LilOne

Hello! Newcomer here. I am planning to fix up a 1/6 scale home-made dollhouse which currently has no decoration on the plywood roof and I'm stumped on where to begin.

I'd love to get suggestions for materials as the scale is weird, and I can't find the appropriate size shingles. Ideally the material would have some texture and would have a heirloom quality/long shelf life & be able to withstand a normal amount of play. I hate to spend time cutting material down to size but it might be unavoidable!

Would love input- this is my first post and I'm excited to hear tips from folks who have worked with this scale. Thank you!

Maybe I can figure out how to upload a picture!

❤️

You can mimic a standing seam metal roof with strip wood from a hobby shop. It looks quite realistic when painted, will stand up to play, and is far less time-consuming than shingles.

image.jpeg.3ca067ff6f0189c1ba54ee251912c3a9.jpeg

Thank you Kathie! That's a great suggestion. Thank you for the photo, I see what you mean. Your blog is wonderful BTW, the categories are so helpful and I will revisit it when I get to detailing the floors and walls.

I was curious if anyone has ever used Veneer tape to make shingles, but perhaps that material is too thin? Seems cost comparative to shingles and would perhaps omit a gluing portion of the labor if the tape has adhesive.

Measure a RL/1:1 shingle at a home supply store and divide the dimensions by 6, since in Playscale 6"= 1'.  Whatever I'm making for a dollhouse that I'm copying from people-size, I reduce the dimensions to whatever scale I'm working in.  If you go with the iron-on wood veneer strips cut to size, you'll want to spot-glue them with a small bead of all-purpose or wood glue to hold them in place.  I use the product to make hardwood floors in my houses and I set my iron on "high"; for shingles I'd iron on a row at a time.  Joint compound/ spackle is nice for a plaster or stucco exterior treatment.