cross-stitch problem, need help

amyole

I cross-stitch the rugs for my houses and a few years ago started using the plastic mesh instead of aida cloth. I like it because I don't have to keep moving/tightening the hoop. Anyway, my current problem happened when I used too many threads together (called not paying attention after a loooong day at work) and broke the edge of the plastic mesh. The corner is now missing (ugh!). I am wondering if anyone has a suggestion on fixing this. The only thing I can think of is trim the plastic even more and make the last row out of (what would have been) the second-to-last row.

I'd suggest super glue, but having barely escaped near disaster involving my fingers and objects I was holding, I realize it's not for everyone. Lol. But can't you glue it together and hold it carefully as it's being stitched? Once stitched won't it be flat?

I don't stitch with plastic mesh, so I don't know if this would work, but maybe it's worth trying with scrap pieces as a test. I would pull out more of the stitches around that and cut out a larger section (say a 4x4 square). Cut all the way down to the straight piece so you don't have nubs sticking out. Then cut a new 4x4 square that doesn't have the broken corner, and on this one leave the ends as long as they can be. Now stitch in the patch. Hopefully the stitches that straddle the two pieces will be enough to anchor the small piece to the big one.

Maybe glue a piece of tissue paper under the mesh in the area of the break to hold the broken-off piece in place? I would think you could stitch through the paper without much trouble, and once it is stitched, the broken piece should stay in place.

I just finished some stitched snowmen for my Christmas trees. Cutting around the edges of the plastic to finish them made me cross-eyed. I think the easiest thing by far would be to do what you originally suggested, abbreviate your stitching to make the oops your last row. I have never had good luck with "patching" the plastic aida because you can't get it small enough to blend in without long stitches messing up the scale of the original piece.

Holly, the plastic aida I just used is 14 count which looks pretty good in 1:12 scale houses, especially as rugs or screens for fireplaces.

Edited by chapchap73