Orchid Gingerbread Trim

I bought the Orchid kit last December, and after hours of torture getting it assembled and trying unsuccessfully to fix a warped floor, I finally got to the reward of applying the beautiful intricate gingerbread trim as pictured on the Greenleaf website and on the kit box.  Especially beautiful is the delicate porch post assembly as well as the gable trim.  instead the porch post I received is just a plain flat thing, not really gingerbread at all.  The rest of the pieces are very plain as well.  I wanted to attach a photo but can’t figure out how.  I sent an email to Greenleaf almost 2 weeks ago and still no reply.  The product I received is not as pictured on any of their advertising.  Has anyone else experienced this?  

The porch posts re two-part; there's a straight piece the same width as the part with the flared top.  After all the parts are sanded evenly (I laid the straight piece on top of the ornate piece to sand them) and glued together I ran some spackle along the rough edges and when it dried I sanded it all again, primed and painted it.  When the porch sides are glued into place and the little block bits sit on top, the porch posts go on top of the blocks and fit under the front of that big gable.  Here's the version I built in wood:

the USA General Store.jpg

and here it is in plastic (a limited edition):

the front exterior

Does that look any daintier?

Mine looks more like your first picture.  All the pictures I have seen of other Orchids online and on Greenleaf website and on the box my kit came in look like your second picture.  They can’t all be plastic limited edition!   I guess I will just buy fancy external components and work them in.  Thank you for your reply.

2 hours ago, Dulcimer Phyllis said:

There is always a way to work around an issue in miniatures.

Yes, indeed. If you can think it, you can make it is one of my mantras. :) 

• Like 1

Interesting... I'd never noticed that before, but the Orchid on the box does have more intricate trim. Maybe it was a prototype? There are limitations to how detailed die cut pieces can be due to the nature of the wood and the die-cutting process.

I often replace the trims in these kits with laser cut trims since they're more detailed. Check out Victorian Dollhouse Wood Works and maybe you'll see something you like.