Beacon Hill House - Can't install first floor staircase

KimD

I have nearly completed the staircase, followed directions exactly, but can't fit the staircase between the first and second floor. The top bit goes into the hole, but then you can't slot in the bottom. If I put the bottom bit in the top won't go up to fit into the second floor slots. Am I missing something!??

Please advise. I've been stuck on this all week. I give up!

I have cut off tabs......it feels like you are doing something horrible, but it is the easiest solution. You can hide the holes with a filler.

I have heard that other people have struggled with your same issue on this house and made the stairs removable etc...

Another reason I always dry fit the shell of the house is to see if I have to fit stairs with tabs on both top and bottom.  This has led me to build and decorate floor by floor, so I have done the floor treatments, primed and painted or papered the walls and fit the stairs' bottom tabs into their bottom slots, done the underside of the second floor/ first floor ceiling, and installed it so the stairs' upper tabs fit into the proper slots, and continued with the second floor.  Otherwise it isn't the end of the world to remove the tabs as Carrie suggests.

14 hours ago, KimD said:

I was ready to just give up

The thing about building in mini is that there is really never a reason to give up. When the house challenges you, odds are someone here met that challenge and will cheerfully share their solution. Mini OSHA will not be inspecting any ... ummm ...   adjustments you need to make to make your vision real. 

• Like 1

I have taken off the tabs, but it is still nearly impossible to get the stairs in the hole, get them to align with the tab slots and place the staircase without breaking them. I feel as if I should not have glued the wall in and it would have been easier. If I can get these things in, hopefully the rest will be a breeze. I've been stuck on this for two weeks. So frustrating! 😕

2 hours ago, KimD said:

still nearly impossible to get the stairs in the hole, get them to align with the tab slots

Align the stairs the best way you can without paying attention to the tab slots. You can always cover them with flooring, a rug, or a piece of furniture.