Noel Thomas Gray's River

Kate.Black

This is my first dollhouse... still being worked on.  It seems everywhere I look there is something that still needs to be done and it's so easy to get sidetracked...  I've got a few pictures to show but I seem to be struggling with file size.  Every picture, I find myself looking at things and saying... yep, need to finish that or fix that or change that...

Two weeks ago I took everything out and gave it a good dusting and then decorated for Christmas.  Very satisfying!  But really only the living room looks decorated.

I managed to get the outside of the house to load... so here goes.

outside.jpg

• Like 2

I'm determined not to be beaten by a computer and I think I've finally got my file sizes figured out!  Here is my living room.  I would like some ceiling trim... I would like to do a better job of hiding my electrical tape runs.  I need to work on my doorway on the left.   

The painting above the fireplace is an oil painting I did of my daughter.  

The inside of the fireplace is bricked with a kit I found at a dollhouse shop that is no longer in existence :(.  I cut the back out of the fireplace so it goes through to the chimney.  If I put a little incense in the fireplace smoke will, in theory, come out the chimney.  I haven't tried.  

the largest gift under the tree is the battery pack for the tree lights.  The red box on the fireplace has tiny ornaments inside.  So darling!

Living room.2.jpg

• Like 1

The tower in the house is two stories.  The room with the chair is almost finished.  I think I would like window pulls and a doorknob would be nice.   The floor photo is from the top room of the tower.  I've already taken the wallpaper out and the room is in a state of unfinished.

tower copy.jpg

tower floor copy.jpg

• Like 1

Here is the kitchen.  It's the first room I really worked on.  (Sorry, the door isn't in place)  I really need better sink, stove, etc in there.  I made the little bucket sitting on the floor.  It looks just like my real bucket, found in an antique store.  My mother told me it's a chamber pot but I use it to wash floors.

kitchen copy.jpg

• Like 1

Dining room.  I've done a lot of work in this room and still it needs more.  I want ceiling trim.  I have a new chandelier to install with ceiling medallion...  I dread the thought of that because I would like to direct wire it.

the shelf unit in the corner lights up.  I made the plant on the top shelf and painted the lighthouse picture on the back wall.  the desk is a house of miniatures kit.  I wish my chairs were a matched set....

Dining room copy.jpg

• Like 1

The children's room.  I love this room.  Maybe because it is filled with toys.   there are usually even more toys, but I cleaned for Christmas.    I made the bed, mattress and box spring from a tutorial.  the painting on the back wall is another of my oils.  

children's room copy.jpg

• Like 1

Bathroom.  This is the last room I have a photo of.  there is also an entrance hallway with parquet floor, an art studio in the attic and another bedroom in the attic.  the bedroom isn't started.  The studio doesnt feel terribly special at the moment.

I used coffee stir sticks for the flooring and wainscoting.   It was a lot less expensive than buying flooring sheets.  I also used stir sticks on the ceiling but I'm really not happy with how they turned out.  I wanted rustic but I think it just looks bad.

I made the clawfoot tub from one of those brass tubs you find here and there.  I coated it with some version of sculpy, painted it and gave it a gloss coat.  I found the tub fixtures and plug in a tutorial.  So satisfying!  

The toilet needs to go or be reworked but I'm really fussy about bathroom stuff and find I hate most of what is out there.  

bathroom.2.jpg

• Like 1

My bathroom sink is probably Chrysnbon.  It looks very much like yours.  I've always shied away from the plastic pieces but when I found that sink in an antique store I had to have it.  I think it actually looks very nice and I didn't change a thing.

I love the photos you sent.  Your bathroom is really charming.  You have a very nice kitchen too!  I'm jealous of your tea kettle.

There is a Chrysnbon set of cookware that includes all the stuff in that first kitchen picture.  After I put everything together I took a can of flat gray Rustoleum aerosol primer and spritzed it all with a light coat and then painted the enamelware, white and bluestone, aging it to look like my grandmother's.  The cast iron ware came with the range kit, and I aged all of that with a wash of burnt sienna and some grated white and gray chalk pastels.  I used Minwax on the icebox.

5 hours ago, Kate.Black said:

Holly, is that the set of pots I see in the kitchen?...

Everything on the stove and the roasting pan on the kitchen table are Chrysnbon.  In the second picture, the sink and hand pump and the coffee mill on the little table are also Chrysnbon.  In the bathroom, only the towel bars, the shelves and the roll of toilet paper are NOT Chrysnbon.  I just love the level of detail and realism you get with the kits and a bit of paint or stain.

Edited by havanaholly

I might have to give them a second look when i come across them.  My husband and i do a lot of antique shopping and i do see dollhouse things from time to time.  There is one shop not to far from home that has someones estate of dollhouse pieces.  They have so much stuff they havent put it all out for sale yet.  Ive found some really wonderful pieces and it makes me feel like the gentleman who died collected from all over the planet.