Pierce stairs question

archaeodoc

Okay, so I hate the Pierce stairs. I saw where some of you have improved upon them dramatically with great success, but I think I want to replace them with a curved staircase. Has anyone else done this? What height do they need to be (I could measure but I haven't got any walls up yet)? Which direction curve maximises floorspace?

2 hours ago, archaeodoc said:

Okay, so I hate the Pierce stairs. I saw where some of you have improved upon them dramatically with great success, but I think I want to replace them with a curved staircase. Has anyone else done this? What height do they need to be (I could measure but I haven't got any walls up yet)? Which direction curve maximises floorspace?

Heather, you can figure the distance between the floors by measuring the distance between the slots for the floors on the wall. That will give you the height needed for the staircase. I bashed the stairs in my Pierce to accommodate a foyer and reception desk for my 1800s Bohemian inn and restaurant, but not circular.  I pretty much winged it. You may want to go ahead and do the dry fit for the ground floor and then see if you still want a curved staircase and in which direction it should curve. There is nothing like seeing the actual site of the bash. Once you see it, other options may come to mind.

2 hours ago, archaeodoc said:

Thanks! I'll do as you say and see what comes to pass. 

I think you will appreciate moving slowly and letting the house speak to you. I look at building as being more organic than mechanical. As you go, you will just know what you need to do. Doing the dry fit, as Holly suggests, will open your eyes to a lot of possibilities.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

novice builder on her second dollhouse (peirce). I didn't like the Pierce kit stairs either...but decided it was really the balusters/spindles that I didn't like. I used the basic framework of the stairs and modified it with different Spindles and railing. I think it turned out OK. That might be an inexpensive option to try. I share your interest in a Curved staircase and plan to replace the attic ladder with one made from an either wooded or plastic fan...I've started both options and we'll see where I end up. Good luck with yours too! ...I had difficulties posting a photo...but here's the best I could do :)

20220209_212635.jpg

Laura, once you have made five posts you can make an album of your Pierce build in the Gallery here.  You can also use the turned toothpicks (I've found them in loquor stores as well as Cracker Barrel and cocktail pick handles for banister spindles.

Thanks everyone!! I'ce stalled out on the spiral stairs while i decide whether to go with plastic or wood. My long-awaited shipment of lightbulbs and more electrical supplies came in today though. I'm ecstatic to start making some light fixtures!! I read tons of posts here that said to electrify before decorating and to go floor by floor ...so that's what I'll do.