Victoria's (not Victorian) Farmhouse

sleuth14

I'm working on mine right now. I have to say that adding all the trim to the gables has been the one time when I have not really enjoyed doing it. I've had a time getting all those angles but am finally learning it. I really thought about leaving the third layer off, but know I will regret it if I do! I intend to finish the third layer today so that I can get to the porches and windows. The floors for the porches are made and I'm anxious to see how they look once I get the railings and stuff added to them!

I just posted some of the phots I took while build Victoria's Farmahouse.

It was my first ( and so far only kit).

THere are photos of the wiring I did... It woked fine while building it and up to the day I gave it to my granddaughter, hasn't worked since.

I really enjoyed doing it, I hope you do to.

Have fun.. that's what it is all about

I used the 40% off Hobby Lobby coupon to get my Alison Jr for about 64.00 and my Princess anne for about 75.00. If you don't have a Hobby Lobby near you,you can get it for a great price from Craftsetc.com. A lot of times they have free shipping,and sometimes you even get extra off the online price. They had the Alison Jr for 74.00 the other day. You just have to keep checking with them to see when they temp lower the price. I plan on doing the Victoria's Farmhouse at some point. Hobby Lobby has it for 159.00 before the 40% coupon. Pretty good!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm still working on the trim-it's amazing how much there is. But I am ready to glue the last few pieces on that I can before the windows go in and I can add the porches. Now I need to finish the wallpapering and then I can do the windows! Progress has been very slow, but I'm getting there and trying to do everything right the first time-lol!

Your first dollhouse? It is basically my first-I built a couple of others that I just put together by the instuctions and didn't modify much. Farther up in this thread, there is a link I left for a visual instruction book on how to do the involved parts like the bay, the gable pieces, the porch rails. It was a lifesaver for me-I read my printed instructions and watched the video before each step and it probably saved my sanity and my house from a trip through the craft room window!

Here's the link again so you don't have to dig for it: http://gr123.powweb.com/Dollhouse%20Workshop/1065.html

I started mine 2 months ago. Very slow going for me. I'm really green. I will posts pictures as I go. I get very indecisive about everything. My husband helped pick the colors. I think he wanted to help and not make it "girlie" It seems kind of dark but I think when I get done it may be ok. I still haven't decided on the shingles. I made them ebony and didn't realize how thick they would stain and I don't like the results. I may purchase new shingles.

Don't feel alone! I have made such slow progress with mine, also! And still haven't made a decision about the shingles. I finally went to the scrapbook paper section yesterday and made myself pick nursery wallpaper so I could get my windows in and finish the exterior! But so far, the shingles are raw wood. They say this gets easier....

• 13 years later...

can anyone tell me how they did the trimming, im having trouble with doing my angles and the length of them. I cant find anywhere online or in the instructions about the angles theyre supposed to be. I actually have to get more wood to fix some of it because i kept getting the angle wrong. I measure twice and cut once but its still not right.

2 hours ago, Mary Hope said:

can anyone tell me how they did the trimming, im having trouble with doing my angles and the length of them. I cant find anywhere online or in the instructions about the angles theyre supposed to be. I actually have to get more wood to fix some of it because i kept getting the angle wrong. I measure twice and cut once but its still not right.

Here's a protractor type device that I use for duplicating angles.  I bought one at one of the big-box home improvement stores for a couple of dollars.  In the picture, I was cutting the quick-shingles used in the Greenleaf village set, to fit tight against the gable portion of the roof.

Hopefully, I'll post-up more detailed instructions in my blog in a few days.

20220115_151426.jpg

I save the overrun sheets of paper from the printer and lay one straight edge along the bottom of my roof, so that it covers the join between the roof and the gable/ dormer, and I run my fingernail along the trough and crease the paper, and use that to cut my shingles.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I do a dollhouse each year for charity.  I build it for the charity organization in my community to give to a needy child on Christmas.  It gives me a reason to build and the motivation to finish it.  This year I built a RGT Victoria's Farmhouse.  I worked on it all through the winter when I could not get out.  (I have walking issues.)  

I have no children but this allows me to help make a child's Christmas that much more special.  Don't let your kits collect dust...build them with a plan in mind of what to do with them when they are done.

Don't build them and them let them sit and collect dust.  Dollhouses are meant to be enjoyed not just added to a collection.

• Like 2