Victoria's (not Victorian) Farmhouse

sleuth14

I have not been to Michaels in a few months,I am going to try there today.!

I want to put electric in this house but do not have all the supplies, so I am thinking af using cardstock and wallpapering it then just putting it in against the walls, so that I can remove it to do electric when I have all the supplies and so that if there are any problems down the line with the electric I can fix them.

I am also not sure I like the layout of the upstairs, I was thinking of using the room above the front door as the master bedroom, and the other side as a nursery & bathroom but just cannot figure out the layout.

Also, does this house have interior trim or do the windows just sit in there. If so that will make the cardstock look funny.!

Kellee

The kit doesn not come with interior trim - you have to supply that yourself. You can get it pretty cheap at Hobby Lobby - especially if you know someone who lives near one that can get it for you at a 50% off sale.

You should wire this kit - it is very easy to do. I can give you wire diagrams and talk you through some of it. I live in Oregon - don't know where you are from but I am guessing not nearby so I won't be able to show you easily.

Shucks ! Ok, Well I will have to wait for the 50% off sale to do the interior trim & get all the electrical supplies.

I would REALLY appreicate it if you would share your wiring diagrams & talk me thru it.!!!

Do you think it is a good idea to put my wallpaper onto cardstock, so that I can wire it at my convience. (still need to get a few things for wiring)

Do you use tapewire or round wire?

Kellee

Hi -

Send me your email address (to steckler@nacse.org) and I will email you a pdf file that is my journal. In it you will find lots of photos of the wiring of the house. I used tapewire. The only thing I would do differently is put the attic divider in place before wiring so that I could take the wiring right up the wall! What I ended up doing works but isn't pretty.

I'm not sure about the wallpaper on cardstock. I used real wallpaper with small patterns. I picked up most of it at Goodwill type stores for about a dollar a roll. (Habitat for Humanity thrift shops are also great for this - I also found a whole package of all types of moulding for only $5.00 at the Habitat for Humanity shop.)

If you like any of the patterns I have used, let me know and I will mail you out enough for a room - I have so much extra.

Good Luck.

• 4 weeks later...

I am so frustrated with this house, I just cannot seem to make it happy. I stained the 1st floor and it looks wonderful.! I have decided on the layout of the upstairs, I think it will look great.!

The house wants electric.... I have never done electric... and the floors are going to be stained.! If I put ceiling lights in... which I think the Bathroom,Kitchen & Dining room should have. that will totally mess up my idea of just staining those floors.! I am also thinking the nursery will have a ceiling light as well.... I chose to use scrapbook paper for half of the nursery walls & Paint the upper half a mint color. The house does not like my choices for the rest of the house and I was thinking of just painting all the walls but If I do electric that wont look good.!

Kellee

I am so frustrated with this house, I just cannot seem to make it happy. I stained the 1st floor and it looks wonderful.! I have decided on the layout of the upstairs, I think it will look great.!

The house wants electric.... I have never done electric... and the floors are going to be stained.! If I put ceiling lights in... which I think the Bathroom,Kitchen & Dining room should have. that will totally mess up my idea of just staining those floors.! I am also thinking the nursery will have a ceiling light as well.... I chose to use scrapbook paper for half of the nursery walls & Paint the upper half a mint color. The house does not like my choices for the rest of the house and I was thinking of just painting all the walls but If I do electric that wont look good.!

Kellee

You may have read elsewhere on the forum about using templates. IF you make patterns of your ceilings you want to electrify and make card templates from the patterns, you can finish them off however you wish, cover your tape/ wires along the ceiling, and attach the templates with doublesided tape. Ditto the process for your walls. BTW, would the walls look better with the wallpaper on the bottom & the solid color on top, or vice-versa?

Calm down, sip a little strong spirits and mull it over.

• 1 month later...

AMY, I PUT MY BATHROOM IN THE ATTIC AND I PUT A 12" SQUARE OF STAINED GLASS ON THE FLOOR. THEN I PUT SOME MOSAICS AROUND THE EDGE. IT CAME OUT NICE. THE OTHER ROOM IN THE ATTIC WAS A CHILD'S ROOM. I PUT THE MASTER BEDROOM ON THE SECOND FLOOR, IN AN AFRICAN DECOR. I MADE THE OTHER ROOM A FISHERMANS DEN. I PUT THE LIVING ROOM IN THE BAY WINDOW AREA. THE KITCHEN IN FRONT OF THAT, AND THE DINING ROOM NEXT TO THE KITCHEN. THIS WAS THE 2ND VICTORIA'S FARMHOUSE I MADE. MY FIRST ONE WAS DONE ABOUT 5 YEARS AGO. I THINK YOURS WILL BE BEAUTIFUL... BEA

Bea, the photo's of the outside of you house look wonderful! Ever so much better than how the house looks on the kit box!!! I can hardly wait to see pictures of what you've done with the inside of it (hint hint)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
Wow I wish we had a Hobby Lobby in California. My daughter would like this kit and I didn't bid on one that just went on ebay for $130 with shipping at only $24 - sigh - what was I thinking!

Lisa R.

I just got this kit from craftsect.com (hobby lobby's on-line site) for $124!!!! It is normally $149.99 you just have to wait for the 25% off sale on craft items and if you buy over $25 shipping is free. I am looking forward to working on it. It is a birthday present for my Christmas baby.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone has built this kit and has a "building tips" sheet or any other helpful information to help clarify the manufacturers instructions, I would certainly appreciate the information. Anything that would help me avoid first time building mistakes for this kit would be much appreciated. Thanks.

My daughter and I will be building it soon - we just bought it (April 2nd) from miniatures.com with 50% off - thats $130 including shipping.

Lisa R.

I'm the daughter <_< I got the house about a year and a half ago as a surprise from my mom when I got home from boarding school for spring break....i think you can imagine my reaction...

I'm still working on it, but have made large amounts of progress in the last couple of days because i've finally had time to work ( I just graduated high school and finished a summer internship in LA) I'll be posting pictures of my progress soon, but there are a few old photos from last year on my website..

~Blythe

If anyone has built this kit and has a "building tips" sheet or any other helpful information to help clarify the manufacturers instructions, I would certainly appreciate the information. Anything that would help me avoid first time building mistakes for this kit would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I have an illustrated building log I made when building this house. It is rather large but if you have an email account that is not yahoo or one of the others which restricts file sizes, I would be glad to send it to you. Just send me your email address.

I have a picture of Victoria's farmhouse as my avatar. I took off the side porches since then to take away some weight and didn't think they added anything to the house anyway. I changed the upstairs door to a window and made a small bathroom by dividing the room where the stairs come up and forming a little hall behind the bathroom where the double window is. It's out in the garage right now waiting for me to get back to it.

• 2 months later...

HI! I've been reading here off and on for a while. I started the farmhouse and then had to quit to pack, move, and unpack in our new house. But I had to register to tell you what has been a lifesaver for me. It's a link I stumbled across somewhere and don't touch the house without referring to it first!

http://gr123.powweb.com/Dollhouse%20Workshop/1065.html is the site, and it has an entire section on the farmhouse construction. I usually read both before doing anything and between the two, figure it out! He has a section on each part, and a great one on dealing with the roof. I hope this helps, and it's good to finally get to reply to things! I hope I get to know you all better, although I do recognize a few names from CDHM-Hi to you all!

If anyone comes back to this thread, my nine-year-old, Joanna, is getting this kit for Christmas and I would also be interested in any tape wiring diagrams and helpful building info anyone would be so kind to offer!

Jody

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Jody! Nice to see you here. How's the house coming along? I'm working on mine as I can. Sometimes as little as one coat of paint on a set of windows a day, but we're getting there! I'm trying to finish the kitchen now and am as I write, waiting for a coat of paint to dry on a faux wall column I made for the kitchen. It will divide the part of the long wall that has beadboard on it (the kitchen part) from the dining area which has floor to ceiling wallpaper.

The only part of this house I've really had trouble with it the bay on the side that is supposed to be hinged and open. No matter what we tried, it just does not fit snugly enough where it is hinged. I finally decided just to attach it permanently as I knew I would never be happy with the fit! :xmas_tree:

I have a picture of Victoria's farmhouse as my avatar. I took off the side porches since then to take away some weight and didn't think they added anything to the house anyway. I changed the upstairs door to a window and made a small bathroom by dividing the room where the stairs come up and forming a little hall behind the bathroom where the double window is. It's out in the garage right now waiting for me to get back to it.

I've changed my avatar to the Jefferson but VFH is in my gallery somewhere. It's still waiting to be finished. I removed the side porch and side porch roof making it much easier to handle. I'll put some pics of the changes I made to the interior soon. It's a nice house with large rooms but is quite heavy.