protecting dollhouse from my cat

I just finished painting my dollhouse and I have a new cat. Can anyone give me some advice on how they protect their house from their cat? I used plexiglass to protect contents inside  but need additional protection as I have an outdoor patio and she might jump onto that! Anything you can tell me??

Good luck.  I wish I had an answer.  One of my cats has mastered going up and down the stairs in my Garfield.  Plastic sheeting and plexiglass has never been a deterrent.  He just finds ways to remove it.   I've given up and just take anything breakable or small enough to be eaten out of my houses.  I decorate them for special occasions, take a few photos, and then remove stuff. :(  I do have a saloon where I ended up gluing everything in place because I knew that I wouldn't be using the pieces in any other house.

My hubs used to make boxes for various things, including covering my fancier dolls.  He bought sheets of plexi from the hardware store, cut it with a glass cutter and a steel straight edge and used a special solvent adhesive to put them together, which he also got at the hardware store.

That's what the hubs called it, so probably what the guy at the hardware store told him it was; not having worked with glass we didn't know there was a difference, but his did have the solid point.  (I figured you'd know!)

• 3 months later...

It is fairly easy to score the cut line (I score both sides of the plexiglass) and then snap it free.  

Holly, did your husband frame the boxes?  I've never tried making a display box, but with my inquisitive and proprietary cats - well, let's just say I really should start constructing some boxes!

I haven't tried this myself, but I wonder if placing crumpled aluminum foil around the dollhouse would deter the cats?  I know they hate to walk on it, and perhaps it would stop them.  It wouldn't look attractive - but it might save the dollhouse!  (I have used this on top of my stove, to stop the cats jumping up when the burners are still warm.)  

Edited by Shy Spirit

46 minutes ago, Shy Spirit said:

Holly, did your husband frame the boxes? 

I've seen Plexiglas boxes with glued edges, thus not needing a frame, but if that seems too daunting, perhaps a framework of channel molding would be easier. If each wall and the top were edged with the channel molding, it would be a matter of attaching wood to wood.

Rosalind, my hubs used a solvent glue specifically for plexi.  I have some boxes he made me for some of my elaborately dressed porcelain dolls.

Channel molding sounds like a good idea, and the right solvent glue for the plexiglass - check!  Thanks, Kathie and Holly.

I don't know that I will make a box for a dollhouse, as it would be very large.  I might make a display box for a few miniatures and vignettes that I created.  

Luckily for our cats, we can't live without them!  (As much as I adore dollhouses, cats always come first.)  Dollhouses can be repaired/replaced.

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Medieval said:

Or make a dollhouse just for the cat. Then it would be a cathouse. Ooops!  I think that name is already taken!

Not by any cat lovers or miniaturists, I betcha.