Hello from Minnesota!

Whereforart

Hi, I've posted a few things already but just realized I did not stop here and introduce myself. I'm Mardee and live in Duluth MN. I'm originally from Cincinnati, Ohio but retired two years ago and moved here to be close to my daughter and her family. I've been sewing for over 55 years (and can't wait to start sewing my first miniature quilt!) and have also tackled weaving and rug hooking, but this is my first dollhouse experience. I bought the Vermont Farmhouse Jr. kit and started on it a few days ago.  I'm hoping to get it done in time for Christmas as I plan to give it to my 8-year-old granddaughter.

So far I am loving this and I can fast see it becoming an obsession!  I'm starting to look everywhere for miniature possibilities!

At any rate, I love this site and am learning so much information from your incredible projects!

Thanks,

Mardee

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jdodyd said:

Hello from Elk River, Minnesota.  This is a great site and I've learned so much from the posts and comments on here.  You'll have fun.

Thanks, Joy!  Any good miniature shops by you?  I usually get down to the Twin Cities every few months or so.

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Welcome to the little family, Mardee.  Which house is calling your name for you to build for yourself?

I'm not sure, Holly - there are so many!  I'd love something really big and elaborate, though, like the Beacon Hill. :) We'll see how this one goes.

Hello, from Eden Prairie, MN! Welcome to the addiction, I mean the hobby! If there is a miniature shop in the cities I haven't found it. I wish there was. It would be so nice to just walk in and wander around a store. I read there is one in the Duluth area. 

7 hours ago, jdodyd said:

Hello from Elk River, Minnesota.  

My brother is in Elk River, beautiful location. 

Kim 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KatFord said:

Hello, from Eden Prairie, MN! Welcome to the addiction, I mean the hobby! If there is a miniature shop in the cities I haven't found it. I wish there was. It would be so nice to just walk in and wander around a store. I read there is one in the Duluth area. 

My brother is in Elk River, beautiful location. 

Kim 

Ha ha! I know what you mean!  There is one in Duluth - it's called Teeny Weeny Miniature Cottage. I found it by accident one day and went in and was quickly overwhelmed! (It was before I had bought my first kit).  But she has so much stuff in there!  I'm planning on stopping by tomorrow or Friday - she's only open 12-5 Tuesday through Friday. 

Eden Prairie is nice - my son-in-law's sister teaches at Eden Prairie High School.

1 hour ago, Whereforart said:

Eden Prairie is nice - my son-in-law's sister teaches at Eden Prairie High School.

My son is a senior there. 

I've read about that store! The next time we're in Duluth I'm going. I can't wait. 

Kim 

• Like 1

Welcome.  I am going to try to up load my first mini quilt.  It is based on the Grandmothers Flower Garden.  I purchased 2" precut shapes (the smallest size the company I use mades) and cut them to fit 1 inch shapes.  I put my eyeglasses next to the quilt so you can see the size.  I used English paper piecing to sew it together.  It won a blue ribbon ast the fair this fall.1037347796_miniquilt1.thumb.jpg.c9cdd142ac2188c72d331b04b0bdcce6.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Vickid said:

Welcome.  I am going to try to up load my first mini quilt.  It is based on the Grandmothers Flower Garden.  

Very nice!  I'm going to try making some mini quilts, too. I found one book that has some helpful tips at the library. 

2 hours ago, shannonc60 said:

Welcome Mardee! Good luck with yoir first build. Lots of advice here if needed. But the most important thing is have fun.

Thanks, Shannon! I'm trying not to stress too much and have fun, so I appreciate the advice!

• Like 1