SW Crafts Lakeside Manor

Kbonno

Hi.  I have a sealed, never opened SW Crafts Lakeside Manor dollhouse kit.  I have looked on the forum and read some about SW Crafts but nothing about this particular house.  I am trying to decide if I want to keep or sell this as I have several kits waiting to be built.  From searching online, my only concern is the wood used in these kits and how to finish it/how it will look painted and wallpapered.  From what I have been able to see from pictures it looks kind of like particle board.  I have not opened this kit yet to take a look in person.  First, does anyone happen to have pictures of Lakeside Manor built?  Does anyone have pictures of the interior?  Does anyone have any experience with the SW Crafts kits?

I am also wondering if anyone has experience with the Celerity Lady Kathleen house and how heavy of a wood it is made of as well as interior pictures.  Thanks in advance!

You probably should open the kit and take a look at the wood. If you don't want it, you shouldn't sell it without advising the buyer of its condition. Hopefully there is a picture of the house on the instructions.

Celerity were nice kits with great wood. https://celerityminiaturehomes.com/product/mch1801a-lady-kathleen-victorian/

• Like 2

I do not think the wood is in bad shape.  It is just the type of wood the company SW Crafts used and it was like it with all of their houses.  I saw a picture of a piece of wood from an SW Crafts kit on a website called Otterine’s Miniatures.  I think she was building the Country Estate.  If you scroll down the page, you will see the wood they use:  http://www.otterine.com/blog/blog1.php/s-w-crafts-country-estate

Is that particle board?  Would the pattern of the wood show through painting if it was sealed first?  I am just used to Real Good Toys MDF.

It does look like MDF.  I added to my Cape May house a wing extension from Real Good Toys.  It is made from MDF and the exterior wall looked like the pictures on Otterine's site.  I lightly sanded, then used a primer coat of some old white latex paint I had on hand.  I then gave it 3 coats (latex) of the final color.  I lightly sanded between all the coats.  Close inspection, you can see it is MDF, but most people will never know it is not from the original kit.  I probably could have done more coats of paint and gotten is smoother, but . . .  I was tired of working on that one area of the house.

I have the SW Crafts Fantasy Island house waiting on me, and now I know it will be the same.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi , My father was the original owner of S/W Crafts , I can try to answer any questions you may have . He was the designer and builder  of all the houses . He went to the show set of Fantasy Island and designed the doll house from it . The Orphan Annie house was designed from the Orphan Annie house in Lombard Illinois and there is a built kit in the Lombard Museum . 

• Like 2

On 2/13/2022 at 11:40 AM, Surfboard said:

Hi , My father was the original owner of S/W Crafts , I can try to answer any questions you may have . He was the designer and builder  of all the houses . He went to the show set of Fantasy Island and designed the doll house from it . The Orphan Annie house was designed from the Orphan Annie house in Lombard Illinois and there is a built kit in the Lombard Museum . 

oh how I wish these houses were more readily available!

• 1 year later...