Custom KidKraft Dollhouse

Tortoise_Girl

So I knew eventually I would find a used KidKraft brand dollhouse that I wanted to build online, so I've continuously put off buying a brand new one. Well, I was going to finally weaken and order the exact one I wanted yesterday. But suddenly I found a used one out of nowhere!!!!

The Dance & Dream Dollhouse from KidKraft!!!!!

I whole bunch of supposedly complete bags of parts and pieces, and accessories from the unboxed kit. Holy C@#$ I just couldn't believe I saved so much money...

Well once my thing arrives, and I try to repair it, then I'll complain I'm sure.

But this thing is my dream dollhouse for the last 2 years, so I hope it works out! 

My doll collection isn't allowed to get a really big house right now anyway! Only something 25 to 50 inches in width. Otherwise, I have very few places it's possible for her to go at my place....limited wall spaces!1869384188_s-l400(15).jpg.7ac0c0bdebe3587252d52891494df0da.jpg

So I finally scored a used kiidkraft dollhouse for my small hobby room to be able to replace my craft cardboard dollhouse I build. My cat crawled inside and effectively destroyed it!

My beloved 12 in fashion dolls could really love a new place to live, I know I would. But I'm adding wheels I think, rather than ordering replacement armoire feet...

This one will have some front doors and a dance floor on top.

• Like 1

So I have wanted to buy a KidKraft dollhouse for years because I have epilepsy and have gran maul siezures!

I wanted to order something that was self contained enough to not collapse into a heap of small decorative parts once I fall and land on it someday.

So I think I'm going to add some safety locking swivel red wheels to the bottom! Lovely!

And I'm thinking if it's possible for me to use removable peel and stick dollhouse wallpaper on a kidkraft dollhouse without ruining the original artwork.....

Any suggestions on my ideas?

I just love KidKraft brand dollhouses for my fashion dolls!

Can this brand be easily updated, or repaired / reporposed ? Will paint work, or should I use removable wallpapers to replace the overly pink artwork?. Is it difficult add some safe lighting...?

Any tip, experience or advice here?

My siezures are starting to be a nuisance and break my doll projects sometimes.

4 hours ago, Tortoise_Girl said:

I want to start a post for working on repairing and updating KidKraft style dollhouses because they are safer for children and hospitals.

What do you 🤔?

You just did it! :) 

4 hours ago, Tortoise_Girl said:

Can this brand be easily updated, or repaired / repurposed ? Will paint work, or should I use removable wallpapers to replace the overly pink artwork?.

I don't know what kind of surface you will be working with.  If it is a shiny or plasticized surface, you can paint or wallpaper after putting on an undercoat of gesso.  Check out scrapbooking papers. They come in many designs that work well for dollhouse wallpaper.

Is it difficult add some safe lighting...?

There are battery operated lights for smaller scales. I don't know about  Barbie scale (1:6)

Any tip, experience or advice here?

Experiment!  If something doesn't work ,try something else. 

My siezures are starting to be a nuisance and break my doll projects sometimes.

Sorry to hear this. Hopefully the larger scale KidKraft house will do the trick for you.

Bought my awesome red swivel wheels.

Need to start collecting the plastic to build all of the new replacement arched windows now. Sighhhhh.....

The Armoire feet, the spiral staircase, and both blue balconies were all missing from the parts I think....

So if anyone has any extra parts for this Kidkraft house ( Dance & Dream Dollhouse) I would be grateful to buy them off of you! This house is very unique! So I was almost happy it was missing parts so I can install my wheels without too much guilt. I'm thinking I might just replace the upper floor and not replace the stairs at all.

Congrats on your find, @Tortoise_Girl! I merged your various threads into one. I don't think many on this forum are familiar with this brand and it makes more sense to have all the info in one place. Feel free to post pictures and updates in this thread as you work on your house, can't wait to see what you come up with!

Bedtime Barbies are beaten up by their kid owners alot. So it's pretty easy to collect a few these days that could use some sympathy.  Mabey a completely new face job to boot. So otherwise they might not get loved ever again!

I eventually got myself 5 of her that will never get a new life . And now with a refurbishment,  they get to be special again! Cool! The hair is totally destroyed on a couple dolls.