Overwhelmed!

Hello Bill :wave:

YOU CAN DO IT!:cheer:

The first thing to do is get familiar with kit. I recommend leaving the pieces in their sheets and using the schematics to label the pieces in pencil. Put the sheet number and piece number on it.

Once that is complete, read over the directions for assembly so you get familiar with the abbreviations like R & P (remove and prepare)

I don't recommend assembling the windows first like the directions indicate. It is much easier to paint them then assemble.

The next step is to do the dry fit of the major pieces. The Arthur is pretty straightforward and open without any hard to reach interior places. This helps you see house how the house is assembled and if you need to widen any slots, or sand any tabs....

Don't be afraid to ask questions. Here is a good blog on the Arthur that may be helpful to you. https://moreminis.blogspot.com/2017/09/the-arthur-dollhouse-blog.html

Sending patience your way~~~~~

Carrie

Welcome to the little family, Bill.  The Arthur was the first kit the Building Team built & blogged.  How old is your granddaughter?  Very young children like to reach through windows and doors to play, so you might want to leave those off until later.  My middle son's wife asked for mine for her niece, and the second time we visited after I took it to her I had to repair the gingerbread trim on the roof that the nephew had broken off.

Edited by havanaholly

Hope to find some advice about shingles.  Bought Real Good Toys Simplicity house many years ago for my granddaughter.  The structure was built and painted outside. The dollhouse was relegated to the basement, until I rescued it. I added wallpaper, purchased, cut and installed moulding.  The shingles are the last major part to finish.  The shingles are stained and I have to buy the glue.  Every site I have visited recommends a different glue. I don’t want to do all that work and have the shingles warping.  
PS - I think I really bought the house because I wanted it!  MaggieMay

2 hours ago, MaggieMay said:

The shingles are stained and I have to buy the glue.  .... I don’t want to do all that work and have the shingles warping.

Moisture is what causes shingles to war. The less glue used, the better. No need to  completely cover the back. A thin bead will do it.

Some folks glue a few rows, cover with waxed paper, then clamp a board (think ruler, paint stirrer) to hold them down while they dry.

Some folks use hot glue for the shingles. I have done this successfully.

Hint: Before gluing, paint the roof the color of the shingles. Raw wood will be very noticeable peaking between the teensiest gaps in the shingles.