Greenleaf "The Orchid" Whimsically Spooky

larry_hazard_

Hi All, 

I'll use this as a makeshift member intro and many thanks to all the insight put into this forum for new builders. I have always loved miniatures, dioramas, trains, architectural scale projects etc. and so my partner and I were in Hobby Lobby checking out the miniature figurines for another project I had been working on when we came across the dollhouse selection. Both of us have an infinity for these creations, and yet, we have not seen any examples in person to tip us off on this passion. She made a deal to buy "The Orchid" so long as I build it out. That was in the first week of September 2021. I made a goal to finish this project before Halloween and hopefully early October to share a video which you can find by searching "Whimsically Spooky DIY DollHouse" on YT. I will refrain from plugging here. For $39 it is so hard to believe the value and heirloom quality you can receive from this kit. 

Links to some photos. Really tight size restrictions here:

https://ibb.co/7vbvX8M

https://ibb.co/Z1fJzGd

It took me over 40 hours to build using this forum as reference and a good amount of experience with model making/building. Some things that felt natural to me, I would soon later find, are unorthodox in the construction of these die cut dollhouses. I used techniques like presiding my walls with paper clapboard, painting after assembling, painting before assembling, using hot glue, attaching trim over siding and the list can go on and on. The great thing about these projects is the fact that you can build it however you want so long as the outcome is to your liking! 

I really wanted to share my experience and add to the vast library of examples for those out there looking to build a kit. I personally didn't see many examples of "The Orchid" online, especially anything that caught my eye. I really wanted to go all out on my first build and do siding and multicolor. 

There is so much to these builds that of course I'll try to answer any questions that come in about this build.

Thank you! 

-Larry 

Welcome to the little family, Larry and partner, and terrific job on your first build.  Eventually you may want to go back with a hair dryer and remove all that hot glue and reassemble it with a decent carpenter's wood glue like Titebond when it begins to fall apart.  As long as you prime your wood you don't want to stain first and mask where you want to glue I don't think it much matters whether you paint before or after assembly.  As you explore this site I hope you will notice that there are TWO building blogs for the Orchid.

32 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Welcome to the little family, Larry and partner, and terrific job on your first build.  Eventually you may want to go back with a hair dryer and remove all that hot glue and reassemble it with a decent carpenter's wood glue like Titebond when it begins to fall apart.  As long as you prime your wood you don't want to stain first and mask where you want to glue I don't think it much matters whether you paint before or after assembly.  As you explore this site I hope you will notice that there are TWO building blogs for the Orchid.

Thank you Holly! I was definitely thinking about re-gluing eventually. I already noticed the shingles loosening up but I'll probably wait until the point of no return before I tear it all down and re glue. It was a decisive learning experience for me to build this with no outside influence and then follow up with research about what could be improved. That way I could really learn and understand the reasons behind some of the building strategies. I just found the blogs *facepalm*. I'm going to dig deeper into those now. 

SO, as a master builder. What should my next build be?!

1 hour ago, larry_hazard_ said:

What should my next build be?!

Whichever house calls your name. :)  

Hi, Larry. Welcome to the forum. :wave: 

The exterior is delightfully whimsical. Would love to see the interior. Once you have made 5 posts you can open an album in the Gallery and share photos. My internet connection doesn't like me to view YouTube (or any) videos, so I prefer to see stills.

2 hours ago, KathieB said:

Whichever house calls your name. :)  

Hi, Larry. Welcome to the forum. :wave: 

The exterior is delightfully whimsical. Would love to see the interior. Once you have made 5 posts you can open an album in the Gallery and share photos. My internet connection doesn't like me to view YouTube (or any) videos, so I prefer to see stills.

Thank you so much! I'll make sure to link a gallery once I hit the post requirement. 

As for the interior. My intentions are to decorate it as beautifully as the outside. It is currently unfinished due to the rush timeline of wanting to display it for the holidays. I'll probably do some wallpaper and hardwood floor and keep the interior design within the same whimsically spooky spectrum. I am going to post the process here(if no mods have a problem with that since technically this topic could be in "projects") is also my first build so I believe it rightfully belongs here. I'll also use my own intuition on the interior to learn by mistake and research after the fact(no hot glue though :P). 

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

As my buddy KathieB says, the one that calls your (or her) name.

I actually have quite the idea for the next build that may bridge my world of train layouts and this new found passion. A 1/48th custom build in the Queen Anne style from one of my favorite silver screen apartments. 

Thanks all!

For hardwood floors I have discovered the iron-on wood veneer that comes in rolls from the hardware store.  I cut it into 6" lengths and split those into 1/4' widths for "boards" and lay them staggered in a realistic way.  If I first stain the base floor whatever color I'm going to stain the floor I don't get glaring contrasts where the "boards" might not quite butt up together.  I spot them with a drop of glue on each end and in the middle-ish to hold them in place and then I use my iron set on "high" to iron them into place:

parlor 2.JPG

Before that I used to scribe the "boards" directly into the wood of the kit's floor using the back of my utility knife point and a cork-backed steel ruler:

KathieB's views:  the bar

but I can't imagine doing that on a "finished" house (are they ever finished?). Of course, when I built the White Orchid (a "limited edition" plastic version of the kit) I didn't do any treatments to the floor.

Edited by havanaholly

15 hours ago, havanaholly said:

For hardwood floors I have discovered the iron-on wood veneer that comes in rolls from the hardware store.  I cut it into 6" lengths and split those into 1/4' widths for "boards" and lay them staggered in a realistic way.  If I first stain the base floor whatever color I'm going to stain the floor I don't get glaring contrasts where the "boards" might not quite butt up together.  I spot them with a drop of glue on each end and in the middle-ish to hold them in place and then I use my iron set on "high" to iron them into place:

parlor 2.JPG

Before that I used to scribe the "boards" directly into the wood of the kit's floor using the back of my utility knife point and a cork-backed steel ruler:

KathieB's views:  the bar

but I can't imagine doing that on a "finished" house (are they ever finished?). Of course, when I built the White Orchid (a "limited edition" plastic version of the kit) I didn't do any treatments to the floor.

I'll definitely have to go check out the iron on veneer! Although, your second technique of scoring the pattern into the sheet is pretty brilliant and something I really wish I would have done to start. As you said, I don't know how one could easily score the flooring with so much obstruction. 

9 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

Great video Larry.....You can't leave us hanging, show the inside please. 😉

Hey Carrie, Thanks! You may have missed my post earlier about the interior but it is actually unfinished atm. My intentions are to decorate it as beautifully as the outside. I really rushed the timeline of the exterior build so I can display it for the holidays(Currently lit up in my living room on the book shelf). Now I'll slowly decorate the interior and update the results on this thread. Likely with some of the input that has already been shared with me here! Thank you all :) 

I can't begin to say how perfect this post is!  I have been building Legos for a long time now but unfortunately can't sustain the amount of money it takes to keep that hobby going!  My mom has built several dollhouses in her day and I have always found them fascinating!  I decided to pick up The Orchid since it was on sale at Hobby Lobby and will be making this my next project!  I have also decided to create it in a "haunted house" style so this post was perfect to find!  Great video Larry and thank you so much for sharing!  I'm excited to learn from all of you and can't wait to begin my dollhouse making journey! 

-Malissa 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, tootsie_roll52 said:

I can't begin to say how perfect this post is!  I have been building Legos for a long time now but unfortunately can't sustain the amount of money it takes to keep that hobby going!  My mom has built several dollhouses in her day and I have always found them fascinating!  I decided to pick up The Orchid since it was on sale at Hobby Lobby and will be making this my next project!  I have also decided to create it in a "haunted house" style so this post was perfect to find!  Great video Larry and thank you so much for sharing!  I'm excited to learn from all of you and can't wait to begin my dollhouse making journey! 

-Malissa 

Welcome Malissa!

22 hours ago, tootsie_roll52 said:

-Malissa 

Great to hear and so glad you are diving in! I really think the Orchid is such a value and the possibilities are endless with it. Do you have any other details in mind for the build? 

Enjoy the process! Make sure to post updates if you can. 

22 hours ago, havanaholly said:

IMO the purpose of this forum is for miniaturists to share information.  Some of us (me) have learned a lot of ways not to do things.

As with any great forum :) 

On 10/5/2021 at 7:48 AM, havanaholly said:

Melissa, Legos make excellent building jigs because you can achieve perfect 90-degree corners with them.

It's true, I'm hoping I can achieve the same success with this dollhouse build!  :)

On 10/5/2021 at 4:04 PM, Mid-life madness said:

Welcome Malissa!

Thank you!  I'm so glad to be here! :)

On 10/5/2021 at 8:25 PM, larry_hazard_ said:

Great to hear and so glad you are diving in! I really think the Orchid is such a value and the possibilities are endless with it. Do you have any other details in mind for the build? 

Enjoy the process! Make sure to post updates if you can. 

As with any great forum :) 

I'll definitely post updates as I go!  Right now I'm in the "prepping" process, making sure I have all of the right materials!  That alone has been fun to do!  

I do have one question.  I have read and re-read the instructions, along with the 2 page insert for painting, shingles, etc suggestions.  It mentions "sealing the wood" and it recommends using "any wood latex primer" but the majority of what I seem to find is white, is this ok?  I apologize if the question is ignorant but I truly have never done anything like this before so I very much appreciate the help.  I assume with it being white, it won't matter once I paint over it?  Is there a clear option I should look into instead?  

Thank you all for the help!  It is very much appreciated!  :)

-Melissa ❤️