I've met my Dollhouse Waterloo!

Kells

Ever met your match in rehabbing a dollhouse? I have now!

Hubs was ready and willing to go to town on my Stanley Colonial with a jigsaw and circular saw. Feel free to have a good laugh at my expense at my grandiose plans for that house HERE. It can't be done. I bought a copy of the original plan book off Ebay and it's even worse than we thought!

The ceilings are too low to handle that lovely arched door. I thought I could heighten the entryway by opening up the stairwell but no, not unless the mini people are going to jump across a chasm to get into their bedrooms! That one I figured out just by looking at it, duh.

The interior wall layout and the center chimney (which extends right up through every floor on through the roof) make it pretty much impossible to lower the roof to a 30-degree pitch. Okay, I guess I could leave it as is even though it will look wrong. But wait, there's more!

I will spare you the annoying twelve different mock-ups I've done trying to figure out what I could do with that house. Only one of them works, and that is leaving it as a colonial. Which sucks, because I already have a couple of those and don't need another.

Below are pics of what it looks like as it stands. Don't blame me for the cheap furniture and crappy decor, it came that way. The last pic is what I'm thinking I *MIGHT* do to it. The rear facade has that layout with the door off-set, so I'd make that the front to get this look. I can do that finish, and making it a very Early American Colonial would be a pretty simple fix (famous last words).

@Medievalwas kind enough to tell me how she did the leaded windows on her lovely Pierce rehab. Printed diamond-paned window acetate is cheap and I'd only need four or five, then doctor them up with Medieval's method for a better leaded glass look. Easier than changing the opening size on 32 windows. THIRTY-TWO!

Anyway, I'm disheartened. Also disappointed now that the hubs has shrugged it off. He liked the idea of a Mallorcan house but couldn't care less about another Colonial. (sigh) Oh well, I have plenty of other projects to help me forget about this one for awhile. Just felt like whining. Haha (sort of)

Stanley1.jpg

Stanley2.jpg

Stanley3.jpg

Rhode Island 17th Cent House.jpg

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Hi, I'm not sure if you'll see this message. Can you tell if you still have this house? My father built one for me when I was young and I gifted it on to friends with twin girls here in NJ about 10 ish years ago. They gave it away and I've been trying to find it for 3+ years. I have inquired but have gotten conflicting stories from them. I would take it back if I could find it. I just obtained the original plans and considering building one myself and try to make a replica of mine, unless i found one I can fit up and remodel. I hope this message makes it to you.  

thank you!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...