Can anyone identify this house? (Dura-Craft Victorian Mansion)

DanH

I was wondering if 1) anyone can identify this doll house?  It may have been purchased at Harbor Freight close to 20 years ago.  2) are parts availble.  I lost the hexagon roof of the tower in transit.  I really hope I can purchase a replacement part.

IMG_1662-low_res.jpg

I was wondering if 1) anyone can identify this doll house?  It may have been purchased at Harbor Freight just over 20 years ago.  2) are parts available.  I lost the hexagon roof of the tower in transit.  I really hope I can purchase a replacement part.  making a new one from scratch is probably more than I want to take on.

Thanks

IMG_1811-low_res.jpg

1 hour ago, DanH said:

...making a new one from scratch is probably more than I want to take on...

But it's doable.  You can measure the angles in your photograph, measure the length of one of the tower top edges to get a base to fiddle with. and then add equally to each side of the six triangles to get the finished dimensions.  Scrap car works well for this and can be used for patterns for cutting your final pieces from wood.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

But it's doable.  You can measure the angles in your photograph, measure the length of one of the tower top edges to get a base to fiddle with. and then add equally to each side of the six triangles to get the finished dimensions.  Scrap car works well for this and can be used for patterns for cutting your final pieces from wood.

BTW it is bigger than it looks: It is 45" tall (before I lost the roof of the tower), not including the weather vane (I still have the weather vane). 

if I was making it from scratch, the length of the roof to the point does not have to be exactly what it is in the picture.  Anything close to it would suffice.  Any idea where I could get the shingled wood material?  My preference is to find the part, but I hate that this house lost its roof (the house has sentimental value to me), so if I have to make it for it to have a roof then it needs a roof.

Thanks for replying.

I doubt you'll find the replacement pieces, but definitely doable yourself. Also unlikely to find shingled wood. I'd make a 6 triangle template out of card to see how it'll fit on your house, making sure you have the right size, then cut the pieces out of thin wood, and then shingle the completed roof. 

Most hobby shops have a section with thin wood. Our builders supplies shop does too. You can usually cut the wood by patiently scoring it with a sharp craft/utility/Stanley knife - a metal ruler helps keep the cuts straight. If you don't get on with wood, thicker card like mounting board or foam core will do the job too, just potentially a bit more delicate. 

Shingles are available to purchase, you'll either need to find ones that match the shape you have on the rest of the house, or make a feature using a new shape just for the tower roof. 

If you do it yourself and need help or tips for specific bits, ask again :)

• Thanks 1

You can order thin wood shingles directly from Greenleaf:

GREENLEAF DOLLHOUSES
  436 LAKE ROAD
  SCHENEVUS, NY 12155
  UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
  Phone: (800) 253-7150
  Fax: (607) 638-9076
  email: customerservice@greenleafdollhouses.com

or you can simulate a metal roof or, as Muriel suggests, use a different material for your shingles. I simulate asphalt shingles with coarse sandpaper:

farmhouse front yard.JPG

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the suggestions on rebuilding it.

I hate I had it transported in a pickup without covering it and lost the roof.  My deceased mom and step-dad built 3 dollhouses, but this is the finest and biggest.  

they also built the Queen Anne and did a wonderful job and my brother has that one.  

The 1st one they built can be partially seen in one of my pictures.  It is no where near the quality of the other two; it probably looks like a first dollhouse.  They had another kit that they never started.  

As indicated it has sentimental value, but I was moving it so some little girl could play and enjoy it (rather than just sitting) which gives me pleasure. It should have a roof.  

when the little girl has out grown it, it is suppose to come back to me.  As long as I believe it, all is perfect. 

Thanks again for the great suggestions. 

• 2 years later...