Victorian decor help!

Audra

I am completely stepping out of my comfort zone and venturing toward a Victorian period house for the future Garfield. 

I am struggling with the flow of the house/overall view 
would it look strange to have lighter colors in one room and darker colors in another?

the parlour/dining area I would like the typical burgundy, but would like to do a pastel child’s room on second level. Maybe a darker gents room on a second or third level. 

Doesn’t seem eye appealing for the overall view of the house. 
suggestions??

Just make the colors flow from one room to another. A major color in one room could be an accent color in the next room. In a dollhouse, where you see all the rooms at once, just select a palette of colors to choose from. For instance, if the dining room was burgundy, you could go with a pale version of that burgundy in the child's room above, resulting in some shade of pink or rose. Think of the colors as being a bouquet of assorted flowers.

As for Victorian decor, I happen to have written Victorian Interiors and More, aka Victorian Decorating. Just click on the link in my sig.

• Like 1

I'm not the be all and end all, but I did what Grazhina is talking about, kind of in my Pierce. I started with one room and chose a wallpaper. Then I took it to home depot and the guy there is an art major (I got lucky) and he helped me pick out colors that complemented what was in the wallpaper. I used those colors throughout. 

Check out the color sets at a paint store or paint section of big box store. There are often sets keyed to themes, with the colors chosen to mix well.

When I was about to select wallpaper for my Beacon Hill, I collected a whole handful of individual paint chips in color I liked, then moved them around from room to room until I liked the way they flowed. Wrote the name of the room on the chip and took with to the miniature shop to use as guides for paper selection. 

Edited by KathieB

You can check if your local library has or can get a copy of The Tasteful Interlude, a book of photographs of American Victorian interiors.  The photos are in black & white, but can give you some ideas for the flow you're looking for.  Also, you can see that for the Victorians, more was more.

Thanks!
maybe the color pallet attached will work out. 
I will probably be asking a lot of opinions along the way. 
I have picked up and made a lot of contents for the house. Just waiting to order the house until some of the kits I purchased are all together. 

E25A8DF0-083C-4CFD-BFD9-6085AACA4028.jpeg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

You can check if your local library has or can get a copy of The Tasteful Interlude, a book of photographs of American Victorian interiors.  The photos are in black & white, but can give you some ideas for the flow you're looking for.  Also, you can see that for the Victorians, more was more.

I Noticed that they have A LOT of treasures. 
The cluttered look will be a challenge also. 

On 9/9/2021 at 3:01 PM, Audra said:

maybe the color pallet attached will work out

That should be beautiful and elegant. I love all of the colors and they look great together and separate.

http://www.leschinoiseries.com/epages/tienda_leschinoiseries_com.sf/en_US/?ViewAction=View&ObjectID=3858340&PageSize=30&Page=2

Les Chinoiseries has beautiful papers and matching fabrics that you might like.

• Like 1